“Excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northbrook
Burlington, Massachusetts
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Renaissance Chicago North Shore is a very nice place to stay. The staff is always friendly. It is close to great places to eat and shop.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Jackson, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

This was a fantastic idea to stay here after a full day of walking, eating, and shopping in Chicago. Only 20 minutes north of downtown and right off the freeway exit, the rate here is a third of what you pay in downtown - and free parking. All the great features and service you'd expect from Renaissance Hotels is all here. Next morning had no problem of finding a place for breakfast and to continue our shopping.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
DickTurner, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Dear rocoJackson,
Thank you very much for relating your experience to TripAdvisor.com followers! We believe our hotel has an excellent location and the services that make us a great alternative for travelers visiting Chicago and looking for the best value outside the city.
In addition, we will have a full renovation of our guest rooms this summer, including the addition of in-room refrigerators and safes.
We appreciate your comments and hope you will be back to visit us soon.
King of Prussia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

Staff at the Renaissance go out of their way to make you feel at home. I usually travel for business and find it a perfect place. Would definiltey recommend.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear Subpappu67,
Your compliments about are staff are most reassuring to me! I know it but it's awesome everytime I hear it from our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share with us and the whole world! Please come back soon!
North Easton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

This hotel is great. Rooms clean and well appointed. The entire staff is attentive to you - very friendly and make you feel at home. A very comfortable hotel. Large fitness center kept spotless. Room service prices are very reasonable. I can't say enough nice things about this place. Location is ideal - short drive to downtown or the airport.

Stayed there primarily for business but I would defintely return for a leisure trip.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear bhampton_1017,
Thank you very much for your review! We love waking up to such nice comments from our guests! Please do come back!
Belleville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

If you have every stayed in the city of Chicago you will know that it is very expensive to stay downtown. Yes, it is convenient being downtown where you can walk or use public transportation, but you have to deal with the city traffic and very expensive parking. My stays at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore in Northbrook, Illinois have always been enjoyable and at a reasonable price, especially if you can get a discount rate with AARP, AAA, or can get a military/government pleasure rate. The rooms are clean and quite comfortable; true they are not huge, but big enough for two people. If you want something larger, I suggest you request a suite or adjoining rooms with a door between. If you just want to go back to the room and relax, they have cable with HBO and paid channel with new movies or you can get on the Internet if you have your laptop. The hotel has a Ruth Chris Restaurant connected, a bar and Bistro area to order food. In the morning, you can a sit in the restaurant for ala carte service or a full breakfast buffet. I really enjoy the ambient of the hotel, have stayed there 3 times this year, and have schedule another stay in December for the Chicago Bulls - Los Angeles Lakers NBA basketball game. It is 24 miles to the city, but well worth the drive because parking is free and that a saving of $40 to $50 a night in the city. I highly recommend the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
DickTurner, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
Dear BMWBill,
Thank you so much for your compliments and referral to other travelers! We deeply appreciate your comments and loyalty. Please let us know if you have any suggestions that would make your experience more enjoyable. Feel free to contact me directly at dturner@renaissancechicagons.com.
I drive a 3 Series Convertible. How about you?
aka Dicks300CIC
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

We checked in to this hotel on Thanksgiving 2010, which we got for an admittedly excellent rate thru Priceline. Given the rate we got, I can give this 3 stars, as it's a truly mediocre hotel. If I'd paid rack rate I would have been very unhappy and it would have rated 1 or 2 stars. Our local friends had told us that this used to be a different property of a lower class. As the Irish proverb goes, "Put silk on a goat and it's still a goat."

Rooms: very small. Carpet: exceptionally dingy. The first room we checked in to, 820, stunk of mildew so badly we requested a different room. Thankfully the second room was ok, but I feel badly for whomever got stuck in the room we rejected. I do acknowledge that we were promptly moved to another room.

This is a perfectly fine 3-star hotel. 4- star at rack rate? Not so much. In reading the manager responses to feedback (which I always appreciate when they take feedback constructively, as this manager seems to do, and which bodes well for the establishment) it appears there are renovations planned. Hopefully that will improve the old and worn appearance, although the rooms will still be exceptionally small for 4-star standards.

This is a perfectly fine 3 star hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Trainer5740,
Thank you very much for your candid comments! It hurts to get a bad review but you have my assurance we take them just as seriously as a good one. We learn and appropriate resources based on guest feedback and it's great to get it raw and unvarnished.
I am fairly new to the hotel but very experienced and I am making changes daily to turn around experiences such as yours. I will follow up on that room to ensure it is taken off market until its issue is corrected. Better we not sell it than to upset one more guest!
Our renovation will start in the spring but a few things will precede it such as new air conditioning/heating units that will operate quieter and "greener". You are right that I cannot change the size of the room, but we can refurbish it and make it feel much better.
Again, thank you for your comments and your business. I hope you will allow us another chance to show you improvements with your next visit to the area. Please call on me if you wish to stay with us and I'll make the arrangements.
Kindest regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I stayed at this property overnight for a presentation that I was conducting. The lobby and public areas were very nice, enhancing the business environment. The staff at this hotel could not be more helpful, proactive and so friendly. The business office facilities were very convenient presenting great value for the money. While the hotel room may not be resort level, it was very clean and undergoing renovations. I place far less emphasis on and maintain no expectation of spa like appearance of hotel rooms when on business, because frankly, I'm in there to sleep and refresh next morning for presentation. When it came to business, I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing meeting facility in this area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear jabooty,
Many thanks for your compliments about our hotel! Please let me know if you have any suggestions on anything we can do better. Feel free to contact me directly at dturner@renaissancechicagons.com.
Thanks again!
Dick Turner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
Hilton Northbrook
Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Highland Park/Northbrook
The Westin Chicago North Shore

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!