“So Close” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Northbrook
Columbus, Ohio
“So Close”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great staff and very clean. But it's the little things. Restaurant was ill-prepared for a lunch rush. When you have 150 people for a conference and lunch is not included and there are no restaurants around, you have to be better prepared.

Also, fitness center was okay but 78 degrees is ridiculous. Have the temperature controlled properly.

It's the little things that go from okay to very good, or even great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear theprovident,
Thank you for your observations and suggestions! I remember well the day that you refer to, we were told beforehand by the event organizer that his 90 attendees "never" ate in the hotel, and they would most likely go across the street to Barnaby's Pizza parlor... they didn't, and we were under-staffed. My sincere apologies for that.
I hope you give us another opportunity to win you over the next time you are in the area.
Regards,

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Potomac, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I agree with some of the other reviewers. I read the reviews before our stay, called the hotel and requested a high floor, corner room and quiet. No guarantees of course, be we ended up on the 10th floor. Rooms on the 9th and 10th floor are a bit larger and may have newer furnishings. (not sure about this). It was very nice.

Gym was very good. Nice equipment. However they are missing free weights - 15lb, 8 lb etc. They have other free weights. Shuttle service was easy and convenient. There is an indoor pool, nothing fancy but it is there.

This hotel was built in the 70s. Some may say it is dated, I thought it was fun and funky!

Room Tip: Try to get on the 9th or 10th floor or get a corner room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear marleneGPotoma_MD,
Fun and funky! Thanks, I like that description a lot! We also hear "whimsical and quirky decor" quite a bit, so you are in good company...
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff, they are truly what makes the difference for us. I do hope you are able to return in the future, and I promise we'll have all the free weights back in the fitness center!
Best regards,
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I agree with the previous review that this hotel needs help but it has the potential for a great stay.

The hotel was very busy but check in was good. However, the first room I was appointed to was dreadful: flies in the curtains, curtains could not open nor close, the hallway smelled and the overall impression of the room was poor.
Ivan did a great job in making sure I got a room in which I felt myself more comfortable. But even being in a junior suite alike room, for me this is where this hotel needs the most improvement. The bed sleeps comfortable but the rest of the interior is outdated. The bathroom is very small. My advice is to take out the bathtub as this tub is not really suitable for taking a bath anyway and replace it with a more modern walk in shower. The room is not sound proof at all: you hear the doors slamming of the neighbors continuously. This point is always important to me as you mostly come for a good night sleep being a business traveler.
One other good thing I need to mention about the room is the amount of electricity outlets, well done. Also wifi speed is good.
Parking can be problematic at night: being a lady alone on business travel it would be good to have dedicated lady parking spots to increase safety feeling.
Minor other areas of improvement are the elevators: one of the elevators was more an elevator for housekeeping rather than for guests. Also, there was a lot of dirt and room service plates on the hallway when I checked in.
The business lounge is good, especially the lady Elisabeth, she truly provides customer service.
When I checked out I got help from the doorman, very friendly.
End conclusion: the staff is great: all encounters I had with them were positive, this is one of the most important assets being a hospitality provider. My recommendation is really on the hardware of this hotel. If they are able to change this it will be a very good 5 star rated hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Database M,
Although your first impression of us was not good, I am delighted that Ivan, Elizabeth and others on our staff were able to save the day!
We are indeed aggressively working to get some of the building issues you mentioned taken care of. The elevators are scheduled to undergo a complete mechanical update very soon and we hope to focus on solutions to the bathrooms as well.
In the meantime, I do hope you give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you are in the area. I would be happy to assist in making those arrangements.
All my best,
Utica, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Having stayed at hotels around the world you get used to overlooking certain things ... But
1) Hot water is expected to be hot not Luke warm for showers. I felt like I was at home each shower, wondering if I would get through the entire thing with hot water. Oh and when the staff leaves "products" to use ... They should always be fresh, not some recycled partials from other visits.
2) if you have 3 elevators they need to all be working. If one is down, call the repair person... When 2 are down and the 3rd is acting up that is a problem worth getting more then hotel staff working on it. I heard a family with a young daughter describe being stuck in one of them for some time ...
3) pools are great, taking the time to make sure the chemical balance is correct is as important as opening the door. The smell of chlorine from the hot tub is so bad my son was not able to even be in the pool in the same room!
4) basic room maintenance needs to be looked over regularly. Our room had a door to a cabinet falling off when we arrived. I was able to fix it temporarily but that honeydoo list stuff is supposed to occur at home not at someone's investment property.

So the good stuff is staff related. They were not only knowledgeable but friendly. Their willingness to offer assistance made you feel like you were a member of the family. It is for this reason I would give the hotel another chance to rectify the challenges above and revisit in the future ...

Room Tip: From what I have heard the South Tower must be better then the North Tower ... maybe you will have b...
Dear Ima N,
Thank you for your thorough and constructive review.
You are correct, with this hotel being over 40 years old, there are a few infrastructure related issues that crop up from time to time. The good news is that significant renovation dollars have been committed on fixing these issues for good, with new boilers installed and work on our elevators starting soon.
In the meantime, we do make every effort to satisfy any guests who experience any inconvenience. I appreciate that you recognized our excellent staff service and that you would return when in the area. If I can be of any personal assistance at that time, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards,
Bayside, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The hotel was like typical marriot experience. Was there on a wed night and there was live music at the longe, so that made it a fun atmosphere. Only issue was that bathroom was old, specifically toilet running after a flush and then continuous sound throughout the night.

All in all a fine enough. Staff was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Hallways carry noise of people. If you want quiet, get a corner.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear allileo,
Thank you for taking some time to let us know about your stay. Although I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our live entertainment and staff service, it is unfortunate that you were disturbed by noise in your room. Please accept my apologies for this.
Best regards,
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had a family event - wedding - in the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel over this past weekend. The hotel was crowded - several events - plus both the Northwestern and the Ohio State football teams and families (plus fans) were there as well. And, amazingly, they handled everything without a hiccup - not a glitch in sight. The room we had was a little small (Queen bed), but everything we needed was there, and it all worked. I appreciated the huge number of outlets ! That, to me, is a sign of a great upgrade to an older facility. Both bed-side lamps had a PAIR of outlets - and there were 4 more outlets on the table where our 2 MacBook Pro laptops went to live. Wonderful !

Parking was free, and, since I have a Marriott Rewards card, so was the speedy WiFi ... that would have cost us $75 a night in the loop or near Michigan Ave.

The buffet breakfast was great - and there is a Ruth's Chris steakhouse attached to the hotel (wedding dinners prevented me from going there on this trip). The staff was courteous and helpful. All-in-all, it was perfect in every way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear MovinOn2,
Your review actually made me chuckle a bit... There is nothing I dislike more in a hotel room than having to move furniture to get to an electrical outlet! Everybody travels with multiple electronics these days, so we made sure our renovation covered those needs. I'm glad you noticed!
Thank you so much for the glowing review and recognizing both the service and great value we offer.
I hope to welcome you back soon,
south florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just spent the weekend at this hotel for a family event. The rates were great, there were many events going on at the same time,but you never felt as if it was 'crowded'. The lobby is beautiful, decorated in purple and silver. Many areas where you can relax and sit with family, friends or alone. Long tables to sit at with outlets for computers, phones, etc. The staff couldnt have been nicer. They also have a shuttle service that was very helpful!!

Dear twinzmomie,
Thank you for the kind words regarding your recent stay with us. You were indeed here over a very busy weekend, and I was happy to hear that everything went well. I hope to welcome you back when you next return to the North Shore!
All my best,
Rik Blyth

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!