“Great staff, nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Potomac, MD
“Great staff, nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I agree with some of the other reviewers. I read the reviews before our stay, called the hotel and requested a high floor, corner room and quiet. No guarantees of course, be we ended up on the 10th floor. Rooms on the 9th and 10th floor are a bit larger and may have newer furnishings. (not sure about this). It was very nice.

Gym was very good. Nice equipment. However they are missing free weights - 15lb, 8 lb etc. They have other free weights. Shuttle service was easy and convenient. There is an indoor pool, nothing fancy but it is there.

This hotel was built in the 70s. Some may say it is dated, I thought it was fun and funky!

Room Tip: Try to get on the 9th or 10th floor or get a corner room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear marleneGPotoma_MD,
Fun and funky! Thanks, I like that description a lot! We also hear "whimsical and quirky decor" quite a bit, so you are in good company...
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff, they are truly what makes the difference for us. I do hope you are able to return in the future, and I promise we'll have all the free weights back in the fitness center!
Best regards,
Rik Blyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I agree with the previous review that this hotel needs help but it has the potential for a great stay.

The hotel was very busy but check in was good. However, the first room I was appointed to was dreadful: flies in the curtains, curtains could not open nor close, the hallway smelled and the overall impression of the room was poor.
Ivan did a great job in making sure I got a room in which I felt myself more comfortable. But even being in a junior suite alike room, for me this is where this hotel needs the most improvement. The bed sleeps comfortable but the rest of the interior is outdated. The bathroom is very small. My advice is to take out the bathtub as this tub is not really suitable for taking a bath anyway and replace it with a more modern walk in shower. The room is not sound proof at all: you hear the doors slamming of the neighbors continuously. This point is always important to me as you mostly come for a good night sleep being a business traveler.
One other good thing I need to mention about the room is the amount of electricity outlets, well done. Also wifi speed is good.
Parking can be problematic at night: being a lady alone on business travel it would be good to have dedicated lady parking spots to increase safety feeling.
Minor other areas of improvement are the elevators: one of the elevators was more an elevator for housekeeping rather than for guests. Also, there was a lot of dirt and room service plates on the hallway when I checked in.
The business lounge is good, especially the lady Elisabeth, she truly provides customer service.
When I checked out I got help from the doorman, very friendly.
End conclusion: the staff is great: all encounters I had with them were positive, this is one of the most important assets being a hospitality provider. My recommendation is really on the hardware of this hotel. If they are able to change this it will be a very good 5 star rated hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Database M,
Although your first impression of us was not good, I am delighted that Ivan, Elizabeth and others on our staff were able to save the day!
We are indeed aggressively working to get some of the building issues you mentioned taken care of. The elevators are scheduled to undergo a complete mechanical update very soon and we hope to focus on solutions to the bathrooms as well.
In the meantime, I do hope you give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you are in the area. I would be happy to assist in making those arrangements.
Utica, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Having stayed at hotels around the world you get used to overlooking certain things ... But
1) Hot water is expected to be hot not Luke warm for showers. I felt like I was at home each shower, wondering if I would get through the entire thing with hot water. Oh and when the staff leaves "products" to use ... They should always be fresh, not some recycled partials from other visits.
2) if you have 3 elevators they need to all be working. If one is down, call the repair person... When 2 are down and the 3rd is acting up that is a problem worth getting more then hotel staff working on it. I heard a family with a young daughter describe being stuck in one of them for some time ...
3) pools are great, taking the time to make sure the chemical balance is correct is as important as opening the door. The smell of chlorine from the hot tub is so bad my son was not able to even be in the pool in the same room!
4) basic room maintenance needs to be looked over regularly. Our room had a door to a cabinet falling off when we arrived. I was able to fix it temporarily but that honeydoo list stuff is supposed to occur at home not at someone's investment property.

So the good stuff is staff related. They were not only knowledgeable but friendly. Their willingness to offer assistance made you feel like you were a member of the family. It is for this reason I would give the hotel another chance to rectify the challenges above and revisit in the future ...

Room Tip: From what I have heard the South Tower must be better then the North Tower ... maybe you will have b...
Dear Ima N,
Thank you for your thorough and constructive review.
You are correct, with this hotel being over 40 years old, there are a few infrastructure related issues that crop up from time to time. The good news is that significant renovation dollars have been committed on fixing these issues for good, with new boilers installed and work on our elevators starting soon.
In the meantime, we do make every effort to satisfy any guests who experience any inconvenience. I appreciate that you recognized our excellent staff service and that you would return when in the area. If I can be of any personal assistance at that time, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards,
Bayside, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The hotel was like typical marriot experience. Was there on a wed night and there was live music at the longe, so that made it a fun atmosphere. Only issue was that bathroom was old, specifically toilet running after a flush and then continuous sound throughout the night.

All in all a fine enough. Staff was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Hallways carry noise of people. If you want quiet, get a corner.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear allileo,
Thank you for taking some time to let us know about your stay. Although I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our live entertainment and staff service, it is unfortunate that you were disturbed by noise in your room. Please accept my apologies for this.
Best regards,
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had a family event - wedding - in the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel over this past weekend. The hotel was crowded - several events - plus both the Northwestern and the Ohio State football teams and families (plus fans) were there as well. And, amazingly, they handled everything without a hiccup - not a glitch in sight. The room we had was a little small (Queen bed), but everything we needed was there, and it all worked. I appreciated the huge number of outlets ! That, to me, is a sign of a great upgrade to an older facility. Both bed-side lamps had a PAIR of outlets - and there were 4 more outlets on the table where our 2 MacBook Pro laptops went to live. Wonderful !

Parking was free, and, since I have a Marriott Rewards card, so was the speedy WiFi ... that would have cost us $75 a night in the loop or near Michigan Ave.

The buffet breakfast was great - and there is a Ruth's Chris steakhouse attached to the hotel (wedding dinners prevented me from going there on this trip). The staff was courteous and helpful. All-in-all, it was perfect in every way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear MovinOn2,
Your review actually made me chuckle a bit... There is nothing I dislike more in a hotel room than having to move furniture to get to an electrical outlet! Everybody travels with multiple electronics these days, so we made sure our renovation covered those needs. I'm glad you noticed!
Thank you so much for the glowing review and recognizing both the service and great value we offer.
I hope to welcome you back soon,
south florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just spent the weekend at this hotel for a family event. The rates were great, there were many events going on at the same time,but you never felt as if it was 'crowded'. The lobby is beautiful, decorated in purple and silver. Many areas where you can relax and sit with family, friends or alone. Long tables to sit at with outlets for computers, phones, etc. The staff couldnt have been nicer. They also have a shuttle service that was very helpful!!

Dear twinzmomie,
Thank you for the kind words regarding your recent stay with us. You were indeed here over a very busy weekend, and I was happy to hear that everything went well. I hope to welcome you back when you next return to the North Shore!
Lansing, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed over the Labor Day weekend. Apparently a popular place for parties, the décor in the lobby/bar is pretty modern in contrast to the rest of the hotel which is older/conservative, but pretty well maintained. Don't know if it's because of the holiday weekend, but definitely had a lively atmosphere when we were there.

We stayed in an Executive Queen room, so it had a queen bed in a "nook" with nightstands/dresser/TV, while the main room had a sofa bed and more dressers/desk/TV...and a refrigerator. We also had a rollaway as well. The room was good sized (as were the dressers), and the set-up worked very well for sleeping 4 people without having to cram into 2 double beds. Queen bed was comfy, and the kids didn't complain about the sofa bed or rollaway. Bathroom was tight, but had modern fixtures (good shower) and good towels.

Our room included access to the Exec Lounge/Concierge Room on the top floor, with breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres during the week. Also had coffee/soft drinks/juice/snacks during non-meal times, and computer/internet access. Never saw the hors d'oeuvres, but breakfast was good, including fresh fruit, a couple hot items, rolls/Danish...all similar to what they serve at the restaurant buffet, though not as extensive. It was MUCH better quality than the "free breakfast" at, say, a Hampton Inn...but you're paying for it with the Executive room.

The front desk staff--Ivan and Will, in particular--were terrific. They greeted us when we arrived, and were friendly and courteous, even calling me by name during our stay. They were working the whole weekend we were there--lucky for me, as I had some "car trouble" that they both really went out of their way to help me out with. Ivan (the Director) even allowed me to park in the hotel entrance turnaround for the night, as the "weather integrity" of my car's roof was...suspect.

Location was...in the northern suburbs...so it's a haul to get into the city. But they also had a complimentary shuttle (I believe the driver was Oscar--nice guy) that can take you/pick up at either of the 2 close commuter train stations--just make sure you know which one you leave from so you can come back to that one on your return.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and I thought the hotel was a terrific value. And again--kudos to Ivan and Will. If those 2 are working when you're there, you'll be in good hands.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Pernasus,
Thank you so much for writing such a thorough review of your recent stay! I'm glad to hear that the arrangements we made prior to your arrival worked out for your family. I've shared your comments with Will and Ivan and they hope the roof repairs went well for you!
If your future travels bring you back to the North Shore I trust you will call on us again, maybe we'll actually get a chance to meet this time...!
Rik Blyth

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!