“Mid-Range Basic Business Hotel with Lounge Lobby” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northbrook
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Mid-Range Basic Business Hotel with Lounge Lobby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel was undergoing renovations when I was there in Mar 2013. The renovations were not disruptive. While I saw workers, I was not disturbed by the noise during my business meetings or at night. The hotel had the basic features of a hotel designed for business meetings. One nice surprise was the refrigerator in the room. It was great to have a place to store beverages. Room had sufficient electrical outlets to change two phones, one laptop, and one computer. The lobby lounge bar had a piano player in the evening. The lounge bar had several conversational groups defined with clusters of chairs and couches.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear TraveltheGlobe09,
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. I was glad to hear you enjoyed our lounge, and one of our R Life Live entertainers while you were here. We have wrapped up about 99% of our improvements, so depending on the exact dates you were here, the "renovation" you saw was either new chandeliers being installed in our ballroom or a small area near the lobby level elevators having some ceiling repairs done. As you noted, neither of those minor projects had any impact on our guests.
Thank you again, and I hope you return soon!
Best regards,
Rik Blyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

So it's not much to look at from the outside, but once you get inside it looks fabulous! I would describe the decor as Funky conservative. Loungey purples, crystal bling, silvery mirrors and dark contrasts. Very modern and hip. The rooms were nicely appointed as well. This is where you discover that this place is still an older building behind the face lift. The doors make a lot of noise when they close, which can be heard as other people enter their rooms at night. Although it's been redone, the bathroom is quite small, a tight fit to get in and close the door. The shower head sprays great, however it is low. It should have an extension that places the showerhead higher and more in the center. A little shelf would be good too. I think the people that design these things should actually use them. Think about it, look at the size of the shampoo and conditioner bottles, they are quite small and where can you put them so that the cap doesn't go slipping in the tub and so you don't have to bend down to get them. Anyway back to the room. TV's are new flat screens the room I had was a king size which left plenty of room to be in. The chair was nice and the heating system operated well. A fridge is always nice to have. The Service at this place is very good. Try the breakfast buffet. It was fresh and i thought a good value for this service. All in all, I would stay again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Kingson 1,
Thank you for the very positive review, I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us! Now that the interiors have been completely updated, we will turn our attention to the exterior... By the end of May we will have totally new Renaissance signage mounted on top of the hotel and the entry drive and main doors will have new landscaping and lighting.
I do hope to welcome you back to see those changes as well.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Robert greeted me with a smile when we came in. Our waitress Shiria was attentive and kind. The shuttle drivers Tony, Oscar, and Jim took me and my gorgeous wife to the mall and grocery store. We were well cared for the whole time! Awesome kind service. And John greeted us for breakfast in the morning and Freddie at night serving us was a delight! Thanks this is the best hotel ever! Keep it up!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Ben V,
It seems that I am the only staff member who did not meet you during your recent stay! Thank you so much for taking the time to remember and list the names of those who made such a great impression on you. I have printed your review and shared it with each of them!
I do hope you make a return trip down I-94 to see us again, and I look forward to meeting you at that time.
Thanks again!
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Don't let the exterior fool you. . .I sat in the parking lot and thought THIS is a Renaissance??!! But once I entered I was surprised. The staff was excellent and check in was a breeze. At dinner, the waiter's recommendations were wonderful . . .I will always take their recommendations over my thoughts in a strange hotel! My biggest disappointment was the HVAC system. . .so incredibly noisy that I had to shut it off. I would have preferred to open a window! I had just come from the JW in Chicago so maybe my standards were a bit high, but I cannot tolerate the cycling on and off of these wall units.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Catherine W,
You are very perceptive and accurate... Our somewhat dated exterior does a marvelous job of masking the improvements we've been busy working on inside! I am so glad you decided to come in and see for yourself, and I appreciate the kind comments about our staff and menu offerings.
Our in-room A/C units, while convenient and responsive, can be a bother. They often just need one of our maintenance staff to rebalance a fan or level the unit. I apologize for your discomfort from this issue.
I hope to see you back at the Renaissance in the future!
Best Regards,
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here recently for business. Found the check in process smooth, room was OK but had a loose tile or something in middle of floor that made considerable racket when stepped upon (no other rooms available). Restaurant was OK, waitstaff seemed new or inexperienced. Food-not so great.

The hotel seemed to have undergone some recent revisions and is somewhat styled trendy/Hollywood regency, however, it still seems somewhat dated, particularly in basement. Gym was good, had what I needed and was well kept.

Pluses for gym and quietness, minus for restaurant and somewhat dated decor.

Dear KLintheSEH,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Renaissance North Shore. You are correct in that most of the decor improvemnts during our recent renovations were focused on the Lobby, the Lounge and the Restaurant. However, all 386 sleeping rooms and every one of our meeting rooms and corridors received complete makeovers as well.
Our restaurant menu is designed to evolve and reflect the seasons, with new recipes being tried out on a regular basis. Some are popular and some are not, but we will be sure to do a better job training the waitstaff on the new items.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back at a future date.
Regards,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is my fourth time and it was once again awesome! The food was yummy and the staff make all the difference. Every time I interacted with someone I was "wowed". The shuttle drivers were especially kind, like Tony, Oscar, and Bill(hope I got the right name, red head gentleman with a happy voice). I love the decor and the music they play in the bar is perfect. The only request I have is to get 10lb weights in the gym, for the ladies. Thank you and I will be back!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Elizabeth D.
Thank you! I was very happy to see so many of our staff had made such a great impression on you. The shuttle drivers are indeed a good group of guys and I'll be sure to pass on your appreciation to them.
I've already gotten the 10lb weights replaced and look forward to your return to try them out!
Westfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Spent three nights here with my team while competing at the Chicago Curling Club around the corner. Clean, comfortable rooms, but a few things struck me as unusual. First, the "free wi-fi" was only for Marriott Rewards members -- which costs nothing to join, so it's just in inconvenience before accessing the internet. Second, the layout of the public spaces was a little tortured -- to get to the pool, you needed to first go downstairs, through all the conferences areas, then upstairs to the pool entrance, and the entrances to the restaurants were neither clearly marked nor visible from the registration area. Other than that, the rooms were pretty much what you'd expect from a Marriott Renaissance, and the group rate for the curling event (of $89/night) was not bad at all. The staff were all friendly and helpful, although the way the parking lot was cleared after an overnight snowfall left a bit to be desired.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear ABCWorldVacations,
I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We enjoy hosting the various Curling Clubs, as they are always a colorful group of people! Your comment about our pool area is accurate, the pool was added several years after the hotel was built and the access to it is a bit unusual. However, by building it in that area, we were also able to provide a great outdoor patio that is heavily used in the warmer months, so it was a trade-off.
I have passed on your observation about our less than thorough efforts at snow removal, and I will personally follow up this weekend when we are expecting yet another heavy snowfall.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Rik Blyth

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!