“Looks like a three star but has some qualities like a four star” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Northbrook
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Looks like a three star but has some qualities like a four star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Don't let the exterior fool you. . .I sat in the parking lot and thought THIS is a Renaissance??!! But once I entered I was surprised. The staff was excellent and check in was a breeze. At dinner, the waiter's recommendations were wonderful . . .I will always take their recommendations over my thoughts in a strange hotel! My biggest disappointment was the HVAC system. . .so incredibly noisy that I had to shut it off. I would have preferred to open a window! I had just come from the JW in Chicago so maybe my standards were a bit high, but I cannot tolerate the cycling on and off of these wall units.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Catherine W,
You are very perceptive and accurate... Our somewhat dated exterior does a marvelous job of masking the improvements we've been busy working on inside! I am so glad you decided to come in and see for yourself, and I appreciate the kind comments about our staff and menu offerings.
Our in-room A/C units, while convenient and responsive, can be a bother. They often just need one of our maintenance staff to rebalance a fan or level the unit. I apologize for your discomfort from this issue.
I hope to see you back at the Renaissance in the future!
Best Regards,

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here recently for business. Found the check in process smooth, room was OK but had a loose tile or something in middle of floor that made considerable racket when stepped upon (no other rooms available). Restaurant was OK, waitstaff seemed new or inexperienced. Food-not so great.

The hotel seemed to have undergone some recent revisions and is somewhat styled trendy/Hollywood regency, however, it still seems somewhat dated, particularly in basement. Gym was good, had what I needed and was well kept.

Pluses for gym and quietness, minus for restaurant and somewhat dated decor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear KLintheSEH,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Renaissance North Shore. You are correct in that most of the decor improvemnts during our recent renovations were focused on the Lobby, the Lounge and the Restaurant. However, all 386 sleeping rooms and every one of our meeting rooms and corridors received complete makeovers as well.
Our restaurant menu is designed to evolve and reflect the seasons, with new recipes being tried out on a regular basis. Some are popular and some are not, but we will be sure to do a better job training the waitstaff on the new items.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back at a future date.
Regards,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

This is my fourth time and it was once again awesome! The food was yummy and the staff make all the difference. Every time I interacted with someone I was "wowed". The shuttle drivers were especially kind, like Tony, Oscar, and Bill(hope I got the right name, red head gentleman with a happy voice). I love the decor and the music they play in the bar is perfect. The only request I have is to get 10lb weights in the gym, for the ladies. Thank you and I will be back!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Elizabeth D.
Thank you! I was very happy to see so many of our staff had made such a great impression on you. The shuttle drivers are indeed a good group of guys and I'll be sure to pass on your appreciation to them.
I've already gotten the 10lb weights replaced and look forward to your return to try them out!
All my best,
Westfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Spent three nights here with my team while competing at the Chicago Curling Club around the corner. Clean, comfortable rooms, but a few things struck me as unusual. First, the "free wi-fi" was only for Marriott Rewards members -- which costs nothing to join, so it's just in inconvenience before accessing the internet. Second, the layout of the public spaces was a little tortured -- to get to the pool, you needed to first go downstairs, through all the conferences areas, then upstairs to the pool entrance, and the entrances to the restaurants were neither clearly marked nor visible from the registration area. Other than that, the rooms were pretty much what you'd expect from a Marriott Renaissance, and the group rate for the curling event (of $89/night) was not bad at all. The staff were all friendly and helpful, although the way the parking lot was cleared after an overnight snowfall left a bit to be desired.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear ABCWorldVacations,
I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We enjoy hosting the various Curling Clubs, as they are always a colorful group of people! Your comment about our pool area is accurate, the pool was added several years after the hotel was built and the access to it is a bit unusual. However, by building it in that area, we were also able to provide a great outdoor patio that is heavily used in the warmer months, so it was a trade-off.
I have passed on your observation about our less than thorough efforts at snow removal, and I will personally follow up this weekend when we are expecting yet another heavy snowfall.
Thank you again for your feedback.
All my best,
Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is definitely an average hotel that could use a facelift. The decor is some of the worst I have ever seen in a hotel. The lobby and the lounge look like Martha Stewart on steroids! My room wasn't as bad but definitely dated. Room was a good size and comfortable enough. I thoroughly enjoyed the terry cloth bathrobe and the lush towels though they could have been softer. I can't believe in this day and age, this hotel charges for internet service. Had the buffet breakfast in the restaurant one morning - great selection and great service. I didn't actually choose or pay for my stay as I was travelling with a school group but I definitely would not choose to stay or pay here in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear tmfoxx,
"Martha Stewart on steroids..." Now that is one I had not heard before! As I've stated in some of my previous replies, decor and art are obviously subject to the eye of the beholder. Although our recent renovations may not appeal to you personally, I have had more guests ask me where they can purchase some of our decor items than in any other hotel in my 30 year career... combined!
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our restaurant food and service and also wanted to point out that our WiFi service is free of charge if you are a member of Marriott Rewards, which is free to join as well.
I do hope you have another opportunity to stay with us in the future...
Regards,
Kelowna, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'm going to give this place a "Very Good" rating this time, although it is probably closer to average for what it is supposed to be. It is a very old hotel, yet renovated well, and probably as best they can do without tearing it down. Rates are not insignificant compared to what you'd expect of a Marriott Renaissance Hotel. Beds were comfortable. But there is room for improvement. For example, the windows are well over 30 years old, and this winter ice formed quite a bit on the inside of the windows. The type of heater/AC on the wall is the kind I always despise as they are noisy and not well suited to a supposedly classy hotel. One of our rooms had considerable water on the carpet under the heater/AC. They probably should have replaced the bathtubs rather than resurfacing them, as around the drain there is heavy caulking and some rust. Also, heavy caulking on the floor next to the tub. Better workmanship would have made this decision better. The towels and linen were excellent. But all in all it is still just not quite up to the standard one should expect at the price and with this brand.

It was good having Ruth Chris Steakhouse attached to the building. And their food was excellent.

The front desk personnel were friendly, but not very professional looking for the Renaissance. Maybe staffing in the area is more difficult, but the chap was not well dressed, a bit rough around the edges, yet an affable and accommodating fellow.

I'd not stay there but for the business trip and the company booked this place, because it is closest to their offices and convenient.

Room Tip: Remember, get a room that is not facing the freeway, as the windows allow too much noise to flow int...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear thelion44,
I was very happy to see that you had returned to our hotel and given us an improved review compared to your previous stay. Although we are a 40 year old property, there have been substantial upgrades recently that have made a big difference with many of our guests. As you note, with unlimited funds, more could always be done!
However, I am a strong believer that the "people inside the box" make more of a difference than the physical building itself and our guest service feedback has been outstanding.
I appreciate your constructive criticisms and have passed on your comments to the departments mentioned.
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is my first review, but I had to write about my exceptional time at the Renaissance North Shore. The rooms were great and the entire staff was incredibly friendly. The lobby bar lounge was great. The cheese ravioli was spectacular. I think they had music a few nights I was there, but the one night I stayed there for dinner there was a guy named Mike Sherman. He was playing piano and singing all requests from the guests. I only requested a few songs, but he nailed every song that someone gave him and had an amazing voice. He had us all laughing and singing along and really made my co-worker's birthday very memorable. I sincerely hope to see him again next time we're in town! The bartenders and waiters were all fantastic as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Carly E,
Thank you so much for the glowing review! I've shared your comments with the entire staff and also sent a copy to Mike Sherman, the entertainer. He was with us again this week and will be returning in March. Check out our facebook page for a complete calendar of our nightly entertainment. We look forward to welcoming you back, it's only a short drive from Milwaukee, come on down anytime!
Best regards and thanks again,
Rik Blyth

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!