“Improved since last June 2012” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Northbrook
Kelowna, BC
“Improved since last June 2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'm going to give this place a "Very Good" rating this time, although it is probably closer to average for what it is supposed to be. It is a very old hotel, yet renovated well, and probably as best they can do without tearing it down. Rates are not insignificant compared to what you'd expect of a Marriott Renaissance Hotel. Beds were comfortable. But there is room for improvement. For example, the windows are well over 30 years old, and this winter ice formed quite a bit on the inside of the windows. The type of heater/AC on the wall is the kind I always despise as they are noisy and not well suited to a supposedly classy hotel. One of our rooms had considerable water on the carpet under the heater/AC. They probably should have replaced the bathtubs rather than resurfacing them, as around the drain there is heavy caulking and some rust. Also, heavy caulking on the floor next to the tub. Better workmanship would have made this decision better. The towels and linen were excellent. But all in all it is still just not quite up to the standard one should expect at the price and with this brand.

It was good having Ruth Chris Steakhouse attached to the building. And their food was excellent.

The front desk personnel were friendly, but not very professional looking for the Renaissance. Maybe staffing in the area is more difficult, but the chap was not well dressed, a bit rough around the edges, yet an affable and accommodating fellow.

I'd not stay there but for the business trip and the company booked this place, because it is closest to their offices and convenient.

Room Tip: Remember, get a room that is not facing the freeway, as the windows allow too much noise to flow int...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear thelion44,
I was very happy to see that you had returned to our hotel and given us an improved review compared to your previous stay. Although we are a 40 year old property, there have been substantial upgrades recently that have made a big difference with many of our guests. As you note, with unlimited funds, more could always be done!
However, I am a strong believer that the "people inside the box" make more of a difference than the physical building itself and our guest service feedback has been outstanding.
I appreciate your constructive criticisms and have passed on your comments to the departments mentioned.
Rik Blyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is my first review, but I had to write about my exceptional time at the Renaissance North Shore. The rooms were great and the entire staff was incredibly friendly. The lobby bar lounge was great. The cheese ravioli was spectacular. I think they had music a few nights I was there, but the one night I stayed there for dinner there was a guy named Mike Sherman. He was playing piano and singing all requests from the guests. I only requested a few songs, but he nailed every song that someone gave him and had an amazing voice. He had us all laughing and singing along and really made my co-worker's birthday very memorable. I sincerely hope to see him again next time we're in town! The bartenders and waiters were all fantastic as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Carly E,
Thank you so much for the glowing review! I've shared your comments with the entire staff and also sent a copy to Mike Sherman, the entertainer. He was with us again this week and will be returning in March. Check out our facebook page for a complete calendar of our nightly entertainment. We look forward to welcoming you back, it's only a short drive from Milwaukee, come on down anytime!
Best regards and thanks again,
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have been traveling on and off the Northbrook area for over five years, and every time I stay in this hotel I am able to sleep comfortably, have excellent meetings and dinners with my clients while enjoying the benefits of being close to their offices if need be.
Clearly this hotel and its employees surpass the norm. Ruth Chris being their side neighbor makes it the perfect touch.

Room Tip: Enjoy the refreshing breakfast buffet if you have time, perfect coffee too.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Febre33309,
I'm so happy that we've offered you convenience, comfort and a great Chris steak for the past 5 years! Thanks for being loyal to the Renaissance North Shore, we look forward to keeping you content for at least another 5 years!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love this place! I came alone for 5 nights and its sweet! I compare it to cruising, everyone is kind, all employees smile. Freddy the waiter, I saw almost every night I didn't mind dining alone. He treats his customers like friends.
By the way, I ate every meal there. Try the spinach salad,they use mini grilled cheese sandwiches as croutons! Also the morning waitress, smiles and the whole room lights up, Shikia. She's a precious gem. I love the decor and live music! Tuesday night I had Fingers and Felix singing Frank Sinatra to me! Wednesday night Robbie Goldberg plays. I would pay money just to hear him sing. And meanwhile Eve, has an eye on everyone, making sure everyone is happy. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Elizabeth D,
Thank you! What a nice, and thorough, review. After reading it, I immediately walked into the restaurant and thanked Shikia and Eve for their efforts in making you feel welcome. Freddy works tonite so I'll chat with him as well. I am fortunate to have a great crew here, they make my job easy.
I was happy to see that you enjoyed our live music in the R Lounge... We will continue to have music every Mon-Tues-Weds and I look forward to welcoming you back. Be sure to ask for me at the desk, I'd love to say hello!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. The rooms are very nice and it has an amazing lobby bar. The cocjtaiks were very good Great for business travelers. The service at the front desk were very nice and helpful. Very trendy decore.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Jodi R,
I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our R Lounge while you stayed with us! I hope you were here one of the nights that we have our live musicians playing, as they have been getting rave reviews from our guests.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards,
Kissimmee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The theme - Chess. The design - chic. I love the walkaround entrance. Valet is very good. The hotel has great food and parking is free. It's in a great location, close to the mall (Northbrook Court) and the highways. Ruth Chris is within walking distance although the hotel's restaurant is very, very good! I ate breakfast and lunch here. It's good, slightly pricey, but you get what you pay for. I've stayed here twice before. I'd recommend and stay again. The checkout is smooth if you have no changes to make. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Traci W,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! It's been awhile since you stayed with us, so I hope you return soon to see the results of our recent renovations. Please feel free to contact me if I may be of assistance.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Let's start with the front desk, Thomas, gave us the most positive caring service that my husband and I had deep discussions with him. The shuttle drivers, Tony and Will, kept taking us and picking us up from the local mall and grocery store. One driver even said we didn't have to tip! Of course, we did. At night there was live music with Felix and Fingers (from American Idol). They played every request I could come up with. Meanwhile, Freddie the waitor, made me feel like a friend with his smile and attentative nature. I returned to the bar knowing that Freddie would serve me brought a smile to my face! Then we met Robert, in the concierge club, and he also was an excellent conversationalist that sparked my husband and my attention. This morning, I had breakfast in the restaurant, and Sharika (beautiful girl) served us like we were her personal guests at her house. The food was so gorgeous, I had the "northshore", and it appeared to be art on my plate. I had to tell Marco, the cheif how wonderful it tasted to. Also, the gym is great with enough equipment to mean business. This place inside is decorated so hip and cool that I feel like I'm in a upscale home with a good interiour decorator. We will be back because everything was fabolous!!!! Whomever reads this, give these employess some recognition because we practically live in hotels and we are dazzled and impressed!!!!! Thank you Renaissance hotel!!! We love you all!!!

Room Tip: We had a queen suite and it gave us plenty of room to work and sleep comfortably.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear shannon y,
WOW! Thank you so much for the detailed report of your recent stay with us! As soon as I read it, I copied it and sent it out to all the staff members you mentioned, along with my thanks for a job well done.
It seems you had very positive interactions with many staff members and I am sure that is partly because you must be a gregarious and friendly person as well. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our newly remodeled lobby and lounge, as well as the live music we offer several nights per week.
Thanks again for all the kind comments and I do hope to meet you personally upon your return to the North Shore!
Rik Blyth

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!