“A beautiful hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Northbrook
Kissimmee, Florida
“A beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The theme - Chess. The design - chic. I love the walkaround entrance. Valet is very good. The hotel has great food and parking is free. It's in a great location, close to the mall (Northbrook Court) and the highways. Ruth Chris is within walking distance although the hotel's restaurant is very, very good! I ate breakfast and lunch here. It's good, slightly pricey, but you get what you pay for. I've stayed here twice before. I'd recommend and stay again. The checkout is smooth if you have no changes to make. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Traci W,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! It's been awhile since you stayed with us, so I hope you return soon to see the results of our recent renovations. Please feel free to contact me if I may be of assistance.

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Let's start with the front desk, Thomas, gave us the most positive caring service that my husband and I had deep discussions with him. The shuttle drivers, Tony and Will, kept taking us and picking us up from the local mall and grocery store. One driver even said we didn't have to tip! Of course, we did. At night there was live music with Felix and Fingers (from American Idol). They played every request I could come up with. Meanwhile, Freddie the waitor, made me feel like a friend with his smile and attentative nature. I returned to the bar knowing that Freddie would serve me brought a smile to my face! Then we met Robert, in the concierge club, and he also was an excellent conversationalist that sparked my husband and my attention. This morning, I had breakfast in the restaurant, and Sharika (beautiful girl) served us like we were her personal guests at her house. The food was so gorgeous, I had the "northshore", and it appeared to be art on my plate. I had to tell Marco, the cheif how wonderful it tasted to. Also, the gym is great with enough equipment to mean business. This place inside is decorated so hip and cool that I feel like I'm in a upscale home with a good interiour decorator. We will be back because everything was fabolous!!!! Whomever reads this, give these employess some recognition because we practically live in hotels and we are dazzled and impressed!!!!! Thank you Renaissance hotel!!! We love you all!!!

Room Tip: We had a queen suite and it gave us plenty of room to work and sleep comfortably.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear shannon y,
WOW! Thank you so much for the detailed report of your recent stay with us! As soon as I read it, I copied it and sent it out to all the staff members you mentioned, along with my thanks for a job well done.
It seems you had very positive interactions with many staff members and I am sure that is partly because you must be a gregarious and friendly person as well. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our newly remodeled lobby and lounge, as well as the live music we offer several nights per week.
Thanks again for all the kind comments and I do hope to meet you personally upon your return to the North Shore!
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Took advantage of discounted pricing during the last stages of their remodeling on 7/3/12. This highrise property is in the near north Chicago suburbs, just off the interstate, convenient to Ravinia (music venue), the botanic gardens, great shopping at Northbrook/Old Orchard Malls, a Trader Joe's down the road and good restaurants nearby like the attached Ruth Chris's Steakhouse and Ron's of Japan. The small, unsupervised Business Center, in a secluded room behind a wall, had 2 free computers including free printing! The double queen room was fresh and spacious with wonderful beds, new flat screen, frig, ironing board etc. The concise reception area is remodeled in a modern style of lavender and metallics with self serve, free, morning coffee conveniently located next to the desk. Unfortunately, no included breakfast. Staff were young, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and advocated for me with their Marriott bosses to extend my discounted rate over the holiday. Property has a pool, but I did not go down to check it out. Always saw cabs waiting in their free parking lot. Nice alternative to more expensive properties downtown or in Evanston if you have a car and don't want to be forced to pay to $35-50 to park overnight (standard downtown now).

Room Tip: The lower the last digit of the room number, the more convenient it is to the elevator. Restrooms ac...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear VayKaySue,
Although you were here way back in July, it is nice that you shared your pleasant memories of your stay at this time. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, I was happy to see that they helped convince you to stay a little longer!
When you were here, our restaurant was closed for complete remodeling and re-theming. It is now open again and serving a totally new menu with Italian influences. I hope you are able to return again soon and see what improvements we've made while you were away!
Portage, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is an updated, older hotel that shows it's age in areas like small bathrooms, "popcorn" ceilings etc, but it overcomes its challenges with cleanliness and friendly service. It's obvious highlight is the attached Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. The rooms have new TVs and very comfortable bedding, but I was not a fan of the heavy, but rough "corduroy" style bath towels. Overall, an enjoyable stay, with no real complaints.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Drinkwater11,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us.
Although we have "been around for awhile" our recent $9 million dollar renovation has really spruced up the guest rooms and lobby areas. The new beds have been a big hit and I was glad to see you enjoyed the TV's as well. A new linen and terry program has been rolled out by Renaissance recently and we are in the process of switching over our towel inventory at this time.
I hope you return to see the results!
Southeast Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This hotel is very elegant and spotlessly maintained. Rooms are beautiful, beds are wonderful. Big problem with hearing your neighbors. One night my wife and I were both woken up at 2 AM by the noise and laughing in the room next to us. After 30 minutes of this I called the front desk and complained. They said they would take care of it and in about 20 minutes I heard one of the men next door say "Someone called security on us" followed by a lady saying "Oh my G-d". They then left the room. The thing is that these last two comments were made at normal conversation level and I still heard them as if they were in my room. I spoke with other friends staying here and they said the same thing, that they could hear the people next door in normal conversation like they were in their room. No hotel should be built with acoustics and soundproofing this bad. Other problems: After we checked in we went to the only elevators we could see from the front desk, and could not find our room. We then found out from a chambermaid that there were two towers and we were in the wrong one so that we had to lug our luggage back down to the main floor, all the way across the hotel to the other end and up the elevators. A simple courtesy from the registration desk pointing us in the right direction would have been much appreciated. Lastly, two other people in our party asked for wake up calls and never received them. Other things you should know about this hotel; 1) If you are a Marriott Rewards member wi-fi is free. If you are not a member they charge you $9.95/day for wi-fi. 2) This hotel does not have an included breakfast, like for example the Hampton Inn has. 3) If you take a bottle of water sitting next to the TV, the charge is $3.50 per bottle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Cagey123,
I appreciate that you took the time to relate your experiences during your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for disappointing you and for providing a sub-standard experience while you were here.
The only previous issues we've had regarding sound proofing is when there was a connecting door between rooms and a guest in one of those rooms was particularly noisy or had a TV on too loud. We've been able to address this by installing a foam insert between the doors when it is reported, I regret that option was not made available to you, possibly due to the time of night.
I do agree that the front desk agent should have made it more clear where the elevators for your room were located, I have brought this to the attention of the manager of that department to address with all of his staff.
In regards to our WiFi, providing it free to our Rewards members is only one of the many benefits of belonging to the program. Not only is it free to join, but the points you earn can be used for travel or merchandise. I do hope you joined while you were staying with us!
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel was staffed with a multitude of wonderful staff. They went far beyond the call of duty and for that I am writing a wonderful review. I have never reviewed a hotel before, because there has never been one that I have found worthy of scoring, but my recent visit to the Chicago North Shore was extra-ordinary and deems a star studded review. You will not be displeased by the service here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jules H,
Thank you for your very positive review and especially for recognizing the great staff here at the North Shore! I hope we have the priviledge of welcoming you back many times in the future...
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I booked this room using Priceline, and got a great $55/night (plus taxes and fees) rate for Friday through Sunday (11/23 - 11/25) of Thanksgiving weekend. We arrived and noticed the renovated lobby. Very nice. I hadn’t been to this hotel since 1993 when it was a Sheraton. Although the outside is dated, the interior (except for the elevators) is definitely upgraded.

We were placed in a north tower room right by the elevators. Note: I’m OK with a “not great” room location when using a discount travel site like Priceline or Hotwire. The room itself was clean and nice – new furnishings, large bathroom. We were in desperate need of a nap upon arrival, so we went right to sleep.

About 10 minutes later, we heard a lot of yelling and screaming in the hallway. The doors are definitely not soundproof at all. I opened the door three times in 10 minutes, and asked the “tweens” and their parents (part of a larger group staying on the floor) if they could halt their hallway conversations and gymnastics. No response.

After my third try, I went down to the lobby, shared the issue with the gentleman at the front desk (the same guy who had checked us in about 30-45 minutes earlier), and asked to be given a new room. He was very helpful and accommodating. Though he did say that the staff had received numerous complaints about the group on my floor, and that they were about to ask the group to leave the hotel.

My reaction: If you’ve received numerous complaints about that group, why did you place me in a room on their floor?

The gentleman assigned us a room in the south tower. The room was very clean, had similar (new) furnishings, but the bathroom was tiny. I think the south tower is slightly older than the north tower. Like the first room, the door to the room was not very soundproof. And although it was much quieter in the new room, we still heard room doors slam in the hallway.

Aside from the room situation, the hotel was nice. The bed was, perhaps, the most comfortable hotel bed I’ve ever slept on. Water pressure in the shower was fine.

Upon checkout, the woman at the front desk was not very gracious. I handed her the key cards and she didn’t respond with a “thank you” or anything. I figured she would ask us about our stay, but no.

I'd stay here again if the rate was good, but I'm not going to go out of my way to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the north tower may have larger bathrooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear LJFreed,
Thank you for your review and your candid comments. I appreciate the compliments, as well as the constructive criticism you shared.
It sounds as if we did a poor job of managing the actions of some rambunctious high school sports teams staying with us... I apologize for that. We do try to separate this type of group whenever possible, regretfully, we were within a few rooms of being sold out on Thanksgiving weekend and had to use rooms on every floor.
I would like the opportunity to make this up to you and would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me directly if you are planning a trip back to this area in the future.
Rik Blyth

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!