“Clean, Friendly and Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Northbrook
Portage, Michigan
“Clean, Friendly and Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is an updated, older hotel that shows it's age in areas like small bathrooms, "popcorn" ceilings etc, but it overcomes its challenges with cleanliness and friendly service. It's obvious highlight is the attached Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. The rooms have new TVs and very comfortable bedding, but I was not a fan of the heavy, but rough "corduroy" style bath towels. Overall, an enjoyable stay, with no real complaints.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Drinkwater11,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us.
Although we have "been around for awhile" our recent $9 million dollar renovation has really spruced up the guest rooms and lobby areas. The new beds have been a big hit and I was glad to see you enjoyed the TV's as well. A new linen and terry program has been rolled out by Renaissance recently and we are in the process of switching over our towel inventory at this time.
I hope you return to see the results!
Rik Blyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Southeast Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This hotel is very elegant and spotlessly maintained. Rooms are beautiful, beds are wonderful. Big problem with hearing your neighbors. One night my wife and I were both woken up at 2 AM by the noise and laughing in the room next to us. After 30 minutes of this I called the front desk and complained. They said they would take care of it and in about 20 minutes I heard one of the men next door say "Someone called security on us" followed by a lady saying "Oh my G-d". They then left the room. The thing is that these last two comments were made at normal conversation level and I still heard them as if they were in my room. I spoke with other friends staying here and they said the same thing, that they could hear the people next door in normal conversation like they were in their room. No hotel should be built with acoustics and soundproofing this bad. Other problems: After we checked in we went to the only elevators we could see from the front desk, and could not find our room. We then found out from a chambermaid that there were two towers and we were in the wrong one so that we had to lug our luggage back down to the main floor, all the way across the hotel to the other end and up the elevators. A simple courtesy from the registration desk pointing us in the right direction would have been much appreciated. Lastly, two other people in our party asked for wake up calls and never received them. Other things you should know about this hotel; 1) If you are a Marriott Rewards member wi-fi is free. If you are not a member they charge you $9.95/day for wi-fi. 2) This hotel does not have an included breakfast, like for example the Hampton Inn has. 3) If you take a bottle of water sitting next to the TV, the charge is $3.50 per bottle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Cagey123,
I appreciate that you took the time to relate your experiences during your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for disappointing you and for providing a sub-standard experience while you were here.
The only previous issues we've had regarding sound proofing is when there was a connecting door between rooms and a guest in one of those rooms was particularly noisy or had a TV on too loud. We've been able to address this by installing a foam insert between the doors when it is reported, I regret that option was not made available to you, possibly due to the time of night.
I do agree that the front desk agent should have made it more clear where the elevators for your room were located, I have brought this to the attention of the manager of that department to address with all of his staff.
In regards to our WiFi, providing it free to our Rewards members is only one of the many benefits of belonging to the program. Not only is it free to join, but the points you earn can be used for travel or merchandise. I do hope you joined while you were staying with us!
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel was staffed with a multitude of wonderful staff. They went far beyond the call of duty and for that I am writing a wonderful review. I have never reviewed a hotel before, because there has never been one that I have found worthy of scoring, but my recent visit to the Chicago North Shore was extra-ordinary and deems a star studded review. You will not be displeased by the service here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jules H,
Thank you for your very positive review and especially for recognizing the great staff here at the North Shore! I hope we have the priviledge of welcoming you back many times in the future...
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I booked this room using Priceline, and got a great $55/night (plus taxes and fees) rate for Friday through Sunday (11/23 - 11/25) of Thanksgiving weekend. We arrived and noticed the renovated lobby. Very nice. I hadn’t been to this hotel since 1993 when it was a Sheraton. Although the outside is dated, the interior (except for the elevators) is definitely upgraded.

We were placed in a north tower room right by the elevators. Note: I’m OK with a “not great” room location when using a discount travel site like Priceline or Hotwire. The room itself was clean and nice – new furnishings, large bathroom. We were in desperate need of a nap upon arrival, so we went right to sleep.

About 10 minutes later, we heard a lot of yelling and screaming in the hallway. The doors are definitely not soundproof at all. I opened the door three times in 10 minutes, and asked the “tweens” and their parents (part of a larger group staying on the floor) if they could halt their hallway conversations and gymnastics. No response.

After my third try, I went down to the lobby, shared the issue with the gentleman at the front desk (the same guy who had checked us in about 30-45 minutes earlier), and asked to be given a new room. He was very helpful and accommodating. Though he did say that the staff had received numerous complaints about the group on my floor, and that they were about to ask the group to leave the hotel.

My reaction: If you’ve received numerous complaints about that group, why did you place me in a room on their floor?

The gentleman assigned us a room in the south tower. The room was very clean, had similar (new) furnishings, but the bathroom was tiny. I think the south tower is slightly older than the north tower. Like the first room, the door to the room was not very soundproof. And although it was much quieter in the new room, we still heard room doors slam in the hallway.

Aside from the room situation, the hotel was nice. The bed was, perhaps, the most comfortable hotel bed I’ve ever slept on. Water pressure in the shower was fine.

Upon checkout, the woman at the front desk was not very gracious. I handed her the key cards and she didn’t respond with a “thank you” or anything. I figured she would ask us about our stay, but no.

I'd stay here again if the rate was good, but I'm not going to go out of my way to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the north tower may have larger bathrooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear LJFreed,
Thank you for your review and your candid comments. I appreciate the compliments, as well as the constructive criticism you shared.
It sounds as if we did a poor job of managing the actions of some rambunctious high school sports teams staying with us... I apologize for that. We do try to separate this type of group whenever possible, regretfully, we were within a few rooms of being sold out on Thanksgiving weekend and had to use rooms on every floor.
I would like the opportunity to make this up to you and would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me directly if you are planning a trip back to this area in the future.
St Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Recently stayed at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel when everything downtown was booked for big convention. Was pleasantly surprised by the location and easy access to the interstate and a quick trip to Chicago.
Beds were very comfy and the room was a good value for Chicago (based on what we have paid for prior visits to area).

The breakfast buffet was small but very good and all the food was kept warm with covered serving dishes. We also ordered breakfast off the menu one morning and it was one of the best breakfasts we had while on the road. I enjoyed the Farmers Market omelet and it was very good and the hash browns were perfect! The service in the Restaurant was top notch on both mornings!

My only complaint about this hotel was that we did not have an ice bucket or coffee maker in our room. I'm sure the ice bucket was just an oversight since we did have an ice machine on our floor so we filled up our cups individually and forget to ask about the bucket. The hotel was very clean and everyone working there was very pleasant and their customer service was excellent!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Condohotelfan,
Downtown's loss was our gain! Thank you for your positive review and especially for your specific comments about our breakfast services. I have passed on your compliments to our kitchen staff with my thanks.
I should point out that I believe you may have missed the location of our ice bucket and coffee maker. Both of these are kept behind a cabinet door in the dresser, on a shelf above the mini-refrigerator. There should have been a small tag on the door knob stating "Coffee Maker Inside". Perhaps this was missing and not replaced by our housekeeper.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We often travel to Evanston, IL to visit our daughter that attends Northwestern University. There are not many hotels in Evanston proper, so they are usually quite expensive. This Renaissance is about a 20 minute drive from Evanston, but is often a good value. The hotel has been completely remodeled and is very nice, clean and modern. The public areas are new and trendy, the rooms have very comfortable beds are are spacious and clean. An added bonus is free parking. The concierge lounge is nice, however we are usually staying on a weekend when it is closed. It's a nice hotel if the location works for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear FarawayMN,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your visit to the Renaissance North Shore! I was quite pleased to see that you enjoyed the results of our recent renovation, hopefully you had a chance to experience our nightly live music in the R Lounge as well...
Our proximity to Evanston allows us to host many guests who have Northwestern ties. I can only hope that your daughter is a freshman, so that we may count on seeing you for several years!
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I found the front desk staff to be friendly and very knowledgeable of the hotel ammenities and surrounding sights new the hotel.
The shuttle service was excellent. The drivers were very acommodating and friendly. If you get one of these shuttle drivers, they will tell you the best locations to go for shopping and dining. They are Tony, Oscar and Reno.

Room Tip: •"Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Betty47-12,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us recently!
Your mention of our great shuttle drivers will be passed on to each of them with my thanks. You are correct, all three are true ambassadors for Renaissance and they also know all the local restaurants and other hidden gems in the area!
I hope you return again soon...
Rik Blyth

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!