“Clean, comfortable room” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northbrook
St. Louis, MO
“Clean, comfortable room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

This place was a nice hotel, not luxurious, but still nice. It was clean and appeared to have been recently updated. The beds were comfortable and the LG flat screen was a nice touch. I would have no problem staying here agasin or recommending this hotel to a family member.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Our group recently had several sleeping rooms and meeting rooms reserved at the hotel. There were several mis-communications with the sales and front desk that were causing our guests to be frustrated. After a couple of trips to the front desk for help we were rescued by John (his business card says Food & Beverage Director) . John stepped in and took care of all of the issues with our meeting rooms and the planned food needs. He was great to deal with and an absolute pleasure.He was concerned that anyone in our group not have a great time and enjoy our stay.
The hotel is lucky to have him

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Gurnee, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one night following a long trip across country. We needed one good night sleep before heading home and we got it here. The bed was wonderful and so was the shower. I loved the added touches like the sleep number bed abundant pillows and towels, the night light in the bathroom, the drape clips to keep the light out in the morning, the gift bag with ear plugs, eye mask and aroma pillow spray. This reminded me of the New York hotels that cater to guests who go just for sleep! The room was very clean and everything updated. The drain in the shower was a bit sluggish but nothing to bad. Everything else was perfect. I never write reviews, but this hotel room was worth the time.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

I am not one for writing reviews but I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Northbrook for 2 nights and it was wonderful. My check-in was quick and easy and the front desk was very friendly. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to my room and found a large flat screen TV, a refrigerator/microwave and FREE Internet. I thought I was at home. The bed was very comfortable and everything was very clean and seemed like new.
I went downstairs and had a great meal and told my waiter to give my compliments to the chef. He was very attentive and filled my water evertime I took a sip.
I ended up in the lobby and sat on a very comfortable leather love seat in front of the fireplace and watched the news and took in the homey atmosphere of the hotel.
I ended up in the lounge and had a few drinks and found a pretty nice group of people to talk to. I could have stayed all evening but had to be up early.
In the morning I found I was a little rushed but they had a buffet that was great and I was able to eat and be out in time.
I was back at the hotel by 6pm and looked forward to doing everything I did the previous evening. I also asked for a late check out and was told no problem.
All in all it was a great stay and I will be back. I am looking forward to sitting around their beautiful pool this spring.
If you are looking for a place that makes you feel like you are home, when you are away from home, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I visited the area for business/pleasure and while there I was having problems with my computer so I went to use their business center. I was surprised at how fast their computers are. I was able to log in to my office network with no problem and do the work I needed to do. It was great.
I had the chance to eat in the restaurant several times during my stay and the food was always good. I really liked the soup. The server was very nice and as they didn't seem to be too busy, he was very attentive and even offered my tea to go when I was ready to leave.
The room was clean and comfortable and I like the comforters they use on the beds. I got the opportunity to check out a sleep number bed. And, although I couldn't tell you what all the hoop-a-la is over them. It was fun to try one out.
All in all it was a good trip and being able to stay in a nice hotel made it not so bad to have to be away from home for a few days.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

My husband and I are from Chicago and we planned a day up to the Chicago Botanic Garden. I thought it would be a great idea to get a hotel room for the night and make it a little in town getaway. I chose the Crowne Plaza Northbrook because I have stayed in the Allerton Crowne Plaza in the city a few times and have always been really happy with my experiences there.

Unfortunately, this was a disaster...I have stayed at Holiday Inns that looked like the Ritz compared to this place! We had to wait for 10 minutes at the check in counter before anyone could assist us, not that there was anyone else being helped, there just wasn't anyone at the counter. Once we finally got up to the room it actually looked pretty nice at first glance. But once we looked a little closer the room had only been "tidied up" not really cleaned before our arrival with hairs everywhere.

I called down to see if we could get a shuttle to a nearby restaurant so neither of us would have to drive. Well, it took me literally 30 minutes of calling down to the bell stand to finally connect with someone that could help me. When I called the front desk after the first few times of calling down, now please understand that the bell stand and the front desk are 15 feet apart, they would just transfer my call to the bell stand. They HAD to see no one was standing there, and I kept telling them that no one was answering. Finally, I spoke to the bell man and he assured me that he would be able to drive us to dinner at 6:45 and come back for us at 8:30.

We had a wonderful day at the Botanic Garden, and since we were assured we would have a ride, we split a bottle of wine in the room before we went down to go to dinner. We got halfway to the restaurant and the driver turned to us and says..."Uhhh, yeah, I'm not going to be able to come get you until at least 10 or 10:30" What are we supposed to do? We've had some wine so we're not driving anywhere and I'm not sitting at dinner for 3 hours, so we just called in a carryout order and the driver asked us to tell them to hurry it up since he had to get back. We were obviously dissapointed but trying to make the best of it, until the entire way back to the hotel we had to listen to the driver say terrible things about every religion other than his own even after we asked him to stop.

We finally get back to our dirty hotel room, spread our carryout on the bed on towels since there was no where else to eat, and try to settle into a movie. We hear screaming in the hallway and look out of the peephole to witness a domestic dispute. Out of concern for the woman involved we called down to the front desk. They sent two teenagers up that stood outside of their door, and then called our room and said "It should be OK they are quiet now". Are you kidding me??

Needless to say we were disgusted by the hotel. We tried to go to bed but honestly the phrase "paper-thin" has never applied more than to these walls. We are both heavy sleepers and we were up most of the night. We finally had enough at 5 am and just packed up and went home. It was unfortunate that a wonderful day at the Chicago Botanic Garden ended so poorly. With all of the hotels in this area I would certainly choose somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
RonChicago, Ronald Petroski General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook, responded to this review, February 4, 2010
Thank you for your comments and I apologize for the experience you had during your stay. I believe this to be an isolated experience. We strive to make every guest feel special during their stay; our guest satisfaction is top priority for us here at the Crowne Plaza. When we hear of an experience like yours we take it very serious, and we have addressed the issues you did experience. Once again thanks for your comments, we would love to have you come back and try us again in the near future.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We've stayed at this location before it changed it's name. The Crowne Plaza chain is supposed to be a step above but this place is not. We checked in to our room and my partner sat on the bed and it collapsed. We phoned downstairs and was told an engineer to be up shortly. When he came he was gruff and unfriendly. We ended up going down to the front desk and up again. Eventually we were transferred to another room next door. My problem was with the staff behind the front desk. Many were rude and abrupt, and cold. Not once were we given an apology for our inconvienence. Many had no clue. After being through all this one even wanted me to show him my ID to get my key. My sense is that many of the staff are unhappy working there and this morale issue is unfortunately projected out on the guests, which can be the case in many places. Owners need to look at this.
That being said the hotel facilities are very nice esp the outdoor pool which is only open in the summer months. The room has these wonderful Sleep Comfort beds. And we got our room at a great super low rate at an online broker so no complaints there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
tomkraft, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
Thank you for your feedback. We have taken steps to correct the issues with the Sleep Comfort Bed you experienced. I assure you that this was an isolated case, and I am glad that you found them “wonderful”. I apologize if our staff member has been perceived as abrupt or cold by you. Our Guests are our first concern. I will address this with our entire staff. Again, thank you taking the time to give us your feedback. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook? Share your experiences!