“Typical Hotel...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Northbrook
Cleveland, Ohio
“Typical Hotel...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here over the weekend of October 18, 2013. The hotel is just as you would expect for a suburban hotel. Not flashy, but accomodating and decently well appointed. We were here for a friends wedding and the hotel did provide shuttle service to the church ceremony downtown, and to the reception that was offsite. The drivers were nice and the service was appreciated.

We were running late (as usual!) and decided we should call the hotel to ensure they did not give away our room or cancel the reservation. It's a good thing we did as the desk clerk informed us we would incur a "late charge" if we arrived after 2 AM. We had never heard of this practice, and we think it should be changed. It doesn't cost them any extra if we arrive after 2 AM. We avoided this charge by using the card the hotel had on file and checking in over the phone. Our room was clean, and smelled fresh when we arrived. Our room had sleep number beds, something I am pretty sure I would never want to own after experiencing it here. The bed seemed as though I just couldn't get it set right for my taste. It was nothing like a Marriot bed for sure! We also noticed that one side of the bed seemed to deflate overnite. It was set around 45 when going to sleep and was at 5 in the morning. We did not mention this to any staff as we didn't notice until checkout day and we totally forgot to bring it up at the desk so the next customer didn't have the same experience. We also noticed that the room must have undergone a small remodel, there were still holes in the wall where fixtures had been removed. I would expect a Crowne Plaza to do better than that but I do understand that it would be easier not to replace the wallpaper. However it is tacky not to do a better job covering things up.

The hotel does have an awesome courtyard with an outdoor pool and tiki style bar. We couldn't use it since October in Chicago is not really pool season! The hotel is larger than it appears from outside with many conference rooms and a restaurant in the lobby. There is also a separate bar area opposite the restaurant.

We had breakfast in the restaurant on Sunday prior to checking out. It is a buffet and the service was terrible. We were seated and expected a server to take drink orders, after waiting no one showed so we went to the buffet line. After getting to the table our server appeared and took our drink orders. After that, we didn't see him again for a rather long time and I had to get ketchup from another table on my own. Good food, bad service.

I got one meal from room service, and it arrived hot and was very well prepared. I did wonder if I could've saved myself the service fee and gratuity by going down to the restaurant and ordering "to go" since I was connected to the restaurant when I called for room service.

The only improvement that I could see here would be with the elevators. They are small, and seem to be randomly placed in corridors and areas I wouldn't expect an elevator to be. There is a noxious grease type smell that permeates the areas around the elevators as well. I could do without that.

Overall we enjoyed the stay and would stay here again. Warning to anyone visitng the city while staying here, traffic is horrible and could take up to an hour and a half to get downtown. I'd recommend staying closer to the city if you don't want to sit on the expressway wasting time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Alma_E2875, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post these thoughtful observations about your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Chicago Northbrook. It is critical for us to receive this kind of feedback from our guests, so that we can continually have the opportunity to evaluate our service and make improvements when needed. Your comments will be shared with our team and we apologize for any missed opportunities to make your stay exceptional. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future and thank you for your review.

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

All the employees are very courteous, efficient, and friendly. The poolside area has a lot of space for dining outdoors during suitable weather. The food in the restaurant and bar is good and so is the service. This place is great for business travelers.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about the Crowne Plaza Chicago Northbrook and the service levels and convenience you experienced during your recent stay. We are truly looking forward to greeting you again and thank you for your review.
Malta, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here as part of a 3 day conference. Overall, the staff was kind, the rooms were comfortable and fairly soundproof, and I really enjoyed my stay. A few minor things: used the business center, where one of 3 computers was not usable (not turned on) and on the second of 3, I attempted to print a page for a presentation, but the printer was out of ink. Other small issues: smeared dirt on the light switch, a few odd circular impressions on my wall (as though someone forcefully poked something into it) and a pink stain on the bathroom counter. Excepting the light switch, all surfaces, including the tub/shower were exceptionally clean. Finally, good food in the restaurant, but kind of pricy, and the service was very slow. Wait staff was kind, though, and it may be an organizational issue. Even with these minor things, I would stay again with no qualms.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post these thoughtful observations about your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Chicago Northbrook. It is critical for us to receive this kind of feedback from our guests, so that we can continually have the opportunity to evaluate our service and make improvements when needed. I apologize for the business center issue your encountered. We thank you for your feedback and will use this to further improve our services. We hope to welcome you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I frequent this hotel several times a month and have never been disappointed. Check-in, room service, bar and breakfast are all staffed by courteous and professional staff. Rooms are clean and beds are vert comfortable - could use a few more plugs bedside though. If your staying in the Northbrook area the Crowne Plaza is the best and only place to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Please accept our sincerest thanks for your gracious acknowledgement of our staff, hotel and cuisine! To be considered your favorite Chicago hotel is certainly an amazing compliment and we look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay next month. Thank you for your review.
Sunshine State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

From the courteous and comfortable shuttle ride, to the check-in process, to the prompt and delicious room service, to the superbly comfortable, clean, all-around awesome room, I loved every moment of being at this hotel.
I was stuck in Chicago because of flight/weather complications, and the airline sent us here, and at first I was worried it would be bad because there were so many of us sent here from the airport, and I thought I would get a bad room, but it was beautiful! I am so glad the airline chose this hotel, and if I ever come back to Chicago, I'll remember to stay at this place. I didn't even care about getting home a day later - I would have loved to stay at this hotel longer. I'll remember it for a long time, tell my grandkids about the delicious Reuben sandwich that was delivered to my room in about 10 minutes on a Sat. night and the nice little scented lotions placed on the comfy bed, and yep, I was a happy camper here. Excellent staff without exception, excellent hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
It is such a compliment when a guest has enjoyed their stay so much that they are inspired to write a review. We are delighted to read your kind remarks regarding the personalized service from our staff as well as how much you appreciated the luxurious amenities and thoughtful touches we provide. We certainly enjoy creating a positive experience for each of our guests, I hoep your grandkids enjoy the story about the delicious Reuben sandwich. Hearing that your stay exceeded your expectations makes us very happy. Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us and please come and visit with us soon at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Northbrook.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The breakfast and lunch buffets were wonderful - everything tasty and hot. The hotel shuttle will take you anywhere you want to go within 5 miles. They took 10 of us to dinner at a great restaurant the hotel even suggested.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
What a pleasure for us to read such a wonderful comment. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It means a world for the teams. We look forward to welcming you back at the Crowne Plaza Northbrook in the near future.

MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Very nice, clean, well run hotel north of Chicago. It is convenient when visiting Northwestern University. Quiet area, easy to get to and from. It is a good deal if booking through sites where you don't know the hotel name ahead of time. The only thing missing is a "free" breakfast which is hard to find in good hotels in this area. We have stayed there several times.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We truly appreciate your recommendation of our hotel and would like to Thank You for your visit and the review posted. We really hope to be able to welcome you again at our property, should your travels bring you to Chicago.
Guest Services Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook? Share your experiences!