“Not New York, But Good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Falmouth, MA
“Not New York, But Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

During a recent family visit to Chicagoland my wife and I had lunch at Max & Benny's. As former New Yorkers, we have a high standard for Jewish deli and we were not disappointed at this Northbrook eatery. The atmosphere is strip-mall casual and the service was friendly and efficient. We tried out some classics. My cabbage soup had a very good sweet and sour taste, but the broth was a bit thin. My wife's mushroom barley soup was also tasty but was too thick. However, the generous order of nova lox was excellent and was served with a nice chewy bagel and cream cheese (a bit skimpy). Portions are generous and the price reasonable for the quality.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, IL
“Hidden secret?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have driven past this "little" restaurant so many times I've lost count. My boyfriend and I love diners and were passing by yet again and thought we'd give it a try.

This little restaurant was ENORMOUS inside. It had a full deli & bakery plus a restaurant that just kept going.

The food was terrific and while we were waiting we found out Max & Benny's has been around for 28 years, so not so much a secret really but a mainstay.

It was the Jewish High Holidays so the entire space was packed to the rafters. Did I mention they cater too? I also found out they're open Christmas day, so if I don't feel like cooking, I know where we'll be.

In a world where everyone is in a hurry, we sat back and enjoyed our meal and especially appreciated the incredible customer service. If you've read any of my reviews, you know how important customer service is to me.

The servers were engaging and (I believe) the owner stopped by to welcome us.

Max & Benny's gets 5 stars & 2 big thumbs up!

Thank you, we'll be back.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Paul, MN
“Great deli”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We always try to grab a meal at Max and Benny's when were are in the Chicago area. It is a great deli with excellent soups and great corned beef. Large menu selection. It's always busy, but it's a big place so you don't have to wait very long for a table.

Visited August 2012
Port Townsend, WA
“Visit after Visit - Our Favorite Chicago Area Deli!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Not much to add to the other reviews! On each visit back to the area we insist on visiting Max & Benny's for brunch. We love home-made corned beef hash. Theirs is among the best!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great food, generous portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were so pleased to find Max & Benny's. It was a treat to find a real Jewish deli. The food was excellent, as was the service. We really enjoyed the bread rolls that were served while we were waiting for our food. One thing I'd have liked is if they would have had a smaller portion available. As we were traveling, we could not take the leftovers home. We plan on stopping in again the next time we're in the Northbrook area.

• Visited May 2012