“Great local restaurant with fresh ingredients.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Prairie Grass Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 104 Restaurants in Northbrook
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Northbrook, Illinois
“Great local restaurant with fresh ingredients.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have been going to Prairie Grass since its opening. Though the menu is somewhat limited, many of the items that they have are seasonal and everything is always very fresh. We had a wonderful pumpkin appetizer, a lamb and goat cheese flatbread, and brisket for a main dish. Chefs Sarah Stegner and George Bumbaris use fresh, local ingredients in each of their dishes. The restaurant always honors their reservations and service is always top notch. The chefs do a lot of charitable work with the local school district. Desserts are delicious. Sarah's mom is the pie chef and is amazing.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Naperville, Illinois
“Not sure why PGC gets the hype that it does”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I had an 8pm reservation for our anniversary dinner that we made through Opentable. Interestingly, our reservation did not accrue points from Opentable which screams arrogance to me from the restaurant. Our server was very nice and quite attentive.

My wife ordered a PGC Mojito from their "renown mixologist" but needed to send it back as they use 7-up instead of club soda. It was far too sweet. I ordered a Maker's Mark manhattan only to be told they were out of Maker's. As a replacement, I ordered a Stoli Orange and soda. What I got was regular stoli, orange juice and club soda. Close but not what I ordered.

For dinner, I had the crispy duck which was underseasoned (lacked enough salt) and pretty dry. My wife ordered the Lake Superior Whitefish...which they were out of at 8pm...and replaced that order with the skirt steak which she enjoyed. Dessert was the Muk Muk chocolate dessert which was similar to a lava cake. It was quite good.

I wanted to love PGC but walked away thinking that the bar had been set too high by those who recommended the restaurant to us. There are a lot of restaurants in the Chicagoland area that have this type of atmosphere and serve this type of food...and do it better.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Quality food and great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My group had different entrees and each one was delicious. Generous portions of fish in the fish and chips with outstanding apple slaw. The white fish and tuna were done to perfection. Our waiter was friendly and helpful.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Avon, Indiana
“Great salad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a great option for a business lunch, but they are often quite crowded so reservations for larger groups are a good idea. Good variety on lunch menu with some healthy options.

Visited June 2012
“Delicious food,pleasant ambiance, good wait staff,INCREDIBLY RUDE and insolent hostesses.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

I was attending a meeting of judges from out of town. We had a dinner in the private dining room for about 50 .It was crowded but the courteous and efficient wait staff served a delicious meal....so good in fact that I made an 8:30 reservation for my spouse and myself for the next night.We had a courteous waiter.We ordered promptly-a first course and entree- nothing elaborate. I had a glass of wine.Wevordered 1 dessert to split and 1 cup of coffee. It was obvious the waiter was anxious to leave b/c he put the check on the table with dessert which we promptly settled with a nice gratuity.As I finished my 1 cup of coffee the lights were turned up and several workers began to sweep around us.We left but I told the hostess that I found it offensive to have sweeping going on around us when we were not dawdling.She did not apologize but said that they had to sweep their areas. Meanwhile, the second hostess, a Jennifer Aniston wanna be came up and said,"so what is your issue? We LET you order dessert"I told them that for them the customer must always be wrong.I have told my group about this experience and as long as those 2 harpies remain, I will never return, good food or not.If you go, better make a 5:00 reservation b/c on the Prairie (Grass) they keep farmers' hours.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere