“Ladies Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

847-509-6750
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zodiac Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 103 Restaurants in Northbrook
Highland Park, Illinois
“Ladies Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

While the food is excellent and the service inconsistent it's not really about either of those things. Lunching at the Zodiac Room is about how you feel when you're there.

For me, it epitomizes a bygone era. A time when ladies in white gloves and hats meet for a bit a shopping and lunch. Gone are the white gloves and hats but the white table cloths, beautifully adorned salads, delicious sandwiches and decadent desserts remain. When I lunch there, I feel like I am pampering myself. From the moment you are seated and they bring you a lovely popover (where do find those anymore?) with strawberry butter and a demitasse of hot chicken broth to the offerings of luscious sweet desserts you believe that this is how lunch should be everywhere.

I don't know how they get their chicken broth so rich and flavorful but it is my favorite part of the meal. Once when I was sick my friend took me here to help me feel better. That day the waiter was so nice, he noticed that I was sick and he kept bringing me cups of the broth - no charge!

My favorite lunch is the "Love Salad" - Roasted all natural chicken, avocado, tomatoes, croutons, artichokes, hearts of palm, greens & balsamic vinaigrette. But the Kobe burger is a close second.

As I said, service is inconsistent. It can be great like the time I was sick but on my most recent visit it was super slow.

• Visited February 2014