“We loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sybaris Northbrook

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northbrook
Sybaris Northbrook
Save Saved
You added Sybaris Northbrook to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   3350 Milwaukee Avenue, Northbrook, IL 60062   |
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“We loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

My husband and I went to Sandals in Jamaica and we flew out of Chicago (O'Hare). Since we were flying into Chicago on our way back we decided to stay at Sybaris, to continue our romantic getaway once we got back to the states.

Our flight was totally delayed and we didnt end up getting to Sybaris until after 2am. But it was worth it anyways! We had late check out so we didnt have to leave our hotel until 3pm. When we got there, we were shocked. It was awesome inside.

We had a pool and hot tub in our room!!! It was great. We went swimming and soaked in the hot tub for a long time, it was very nice after a stressful flight. Our pool also had a waterfall, which we didnt enjoy much because it was loud. The room also had surround sound, so the music went into the pool area. There was a steam shower in our room too, which I didnt enjoy because I dont personally like that sort of thing, but I imagine it is nice for people who like them.

It was totally romantic to sit in the hot tub and look at the palm trees and such painted on the walls and reflect back to our trip in Jamaica.

Other parts of the room were quite kinky, but it was cool anyways. There are mirrors all around the bed, and there is ground lighting under the bed, and above the bed. We put the blue light on in the pool room and it was so relaxing for sleeping. They also had a massage chair in the room which was awesome. It felt good. There is also a microwave and a coffeemaker and a small fridge. The TV had a VCR and you could rent Movies from the front desk...certain type of movies if you know what i mean. And you have your own building for your room.

It was very romantic. They have all sorts of upgraded goodies you can do if you want to, like roses on the bed. Overall, it was an awesome night stay. Please email me if you want to see pictures (dont worry they arent 'naughty') Trip Advisor never works for loading pictures for me, so you can email me if you want some. Or email me if you have any questions!

Jamaicamenutts@aol.com

• Liked — Pool & Hot Tub in the room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

My wife and I have been to the Sybaris in Northbrook and Mequon. Both are similar and equally nice. There are (5) locations total, and you can check out the suite differences via in-room pictures on the official (and easy to navigate) website www.sybaris.com. In the Majestic Pool suite that we love, there is a hot tub attached to the pool and a separate "whirlpool" in the bedroom. The bedroom is separate from the pool room of course. The pool room containes a 22-ft pool, attached hot tub with jets and temp control, steam room for two, table and chairs for poolside drinks. The bedroom has a large over-sized king bed, small table, booth with table, TV, DVD, Stereo (which can be played in bedroom, pool room, or both), small fridge and microwave, kitchen-style sink and a "neat" lighting system. The interior decor is slightly (and I'm being nice here) tacky, but no one seems to mind because the suites themselves are so nice.

When I first mentioned the idea of going to the Sybaris to my wife she said, "You mean that tacky pool motel we see on TV? It can't be clean, and how private could it be?" Well, thankfully I did some research and found that the pools are consistantly sanitized and thoroughly cleaned after each guest, rooms are cleaned emensely, and come to find out that the suites themselves are each their own separate building. After much begging and pleading, my wife finally agreed to "give it a try," and she doesn't regret it.

Starting with the moment you call the Sybaris to make a reservation, you are treated as if you are a guest of a 5-star hotel. Their customer service is fantastic. They will help you out every step of the way, and are trained well to answer any "spur of the moment" questions that you may have.

FYI- You DO NEED TO BE A MEMBER to be able to be a guest and make a reservation. The memberships are annual, and start at $30/year. Some memberships will actually give you additional "free" time at the beginning or end of your stay. Check the website for further membership information.

So once you have made your reservation, it's time to start your vacation...and I call it a vacation because no matter how long you plan to stay; one afternoon, overnight, or numerous days; the feeling you get while in your suite is one that you are hundreds of miles away from everyday life. You drive up to the main building with the reservation desk and employees. Approach the employee at the desk and after a quick process of payment, you are on your way. You will get a key and directions to your suite. You will drive past the initial gate- thats right, this is a gated community of suites for complete privacy- and drive to your suite. You will pull into your own driveway and unload your luggage into your private suite. The suites are separate buildings and DO NOT share walls with any other rooms. There also are no windows, to ensure 100% privacy. No phones to bother you, so bring a cell if you need a phone.

All in all, it is a great vacation....a great place to get away from your kids, work, worries for a period of time.

Value = 8 out of 10. These suites are quite expensive. Try to stay with them on a weekday...you will end up saving $$$

Service = 10 out of 10. Fantastic service from start to finish.

Cleanliness = 10 out of 10. Clean pool, clean room. No odd smells, stains or any problems.

Overall = 9.5 out of 10. Great place to try, you will enjoy and won't be able to wait to get back. I sure can't. :)

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — PRICE
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Peoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2007

The Sybaris experience was one of the best experience of our lives. My fiance and I will never forget the experience we had and we plan on visiting another location very soon.

Stayed May 2006
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2006

Had a FABULOUS time, staff was accomodating & pleasant. Little confusion though, you have to be a "member" to stay there. There is a $30 yearly membership fee. The carpet had a slight mildew odor around the steam shower area other than that it was FABULOUS!! We plan on returning soon

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — Driving in Chicago area
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

I decided to suprise my husband for Father's Day with a trip to the Sybaris. We had been planning to go for years but with very little time away from work it wasn't possible. So at the last minute (11pm to be exact) I made the ressie with the help of a very nice desk attendant. After putting down a bit of change (ok it was pretty expensive) I was set. We stayed over on a Saturday night - many other nights are less expensive and their website has many specials listed.

So... We checked into the Deluxe Whirlpool Suite and it was WOW. Everything from the carpet to the mirrors to the special bathroom features (think Europe) it was great. As a bit of a clean freak I checked the sheets, whirlpool and steam room before I even took off my shoes. Everything was sparkling clean and even though all rooms allow smoking, there was absolutely no cigarette/cigar odor in the room. They make it clear that things have been sanitized (even the surprise in the closet). There are no telephones, no windows, no WIFI and absolutely no blackberries(crackberries). I loved the fact that each suite is its own private building with the parking space at the front door, which makes this an exceptionally quiet and private space. The only thing that I would ask for would be a bit of a heavier bedspread and slightly softer robes (The Venetian in Vegas spoiled me) but these are very small things.

Based on my experiences I would absolutely recommend this property to anyone who wants a special place with their special someone. As part of a married couple, I think it was better than any therapy, retreat or seminar. It was quiet, relaxing and romantic place to just be alone. I can't wait to go back.

I almost forgot to mention the FANTASTIC massage chair. The chair alone was worth the extra money for the deluxe suites.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2006

I live in Wisconsin, however chose the Northbrook location because it had the massage chair and I wanted it to be a surprise for my partner to get out of town. From the staff greeting in the beginning to turning in the key at the end. Everything was excellent. I loved the idea that the facility was gated and the tinted windows from the outside added to mystery, however there were no windows at all from the inside.
No foul odors from the minute I opened the door. I inspected everything and it was very clean. Those swirls in the carpet and even on the ceiling were cool.
Had the Deluxe Whirlpool Suite and that was awesome and relaxing. The steam room was almost too hot but a nice attraction. Mirrors and more mirrors very nice. We really enjoyed our stay and plan on returning to one of the Pool Suites. And for those that were complaining about the TV channels not working. You're right..it does cost too much to go to a FANTASY SUITE to watch TV. But if you were gettin busy then its all worth it. Hmmm.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

Me and my husband booked the signature suite for our honeymoon. The room was very clean and tidy. lots of privacy. everything was really nice. the only complaint i have is the resturant connected to the hotel their food was not very good but there are other resturants nearby.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Sybaris Northbrook? Share your experiences!