“Excellent Getaway, Give it a try you won't regret it.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sybaris Northbrook

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northbrook
Sybaris Northbrook
Save Saved
You added Sybaris Northbrook to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   3350 Milwaukee Avenue, Northbrook, IL 60062   |
Wisconsin
“Excellent Getaway, Give it a try you won't regret it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

With children you never have enough time together, but it isn't until you stay at a place like this that you realize it. I love coming here because I feel like I finally have my wife all to myself like I did when we were dating.

This was our third visit to Sybaris and by far the best. Our first visit was at the Paradise suite, which was amazing. Like all the other reviews everything was very clean, the pool water was warm and so was the room tempature. We both could not get over how big the cabins are. When you first pull up you are thinking that the cabins don't look that big, how can they fit a pool in them? Then you open the door and its a total WOW factor.

Our second visit was to a Whirlpool suite, which I don't recommend if you have ever been in a pool suite. All of the other rooms were booked so we decided to give it a try. It was nice but after knowing the luxury and fun of the pool suites it just didn't measure up. My advice is to save a little more money up and go for the better suites, or try this type of room first.

On our last visit we went all out. Since we were both dissapointed in the whirlpool suite we opted for the Chalet suite with the slide this time. I have to say that I was overwhelmed with the pool suites but this one completely blew us away. It started when we opened the garage door and drove my truck in. (By the way, they will hold a full size Chevy Silverado.) The look on my wife's face was priceless when she first walked ito the pool area and I could tell we were going to have a lot of fun. It turned into a race to see who could get their clothes off the fastest and down the slide. And then their was unloading the truck, no big deal anymore, we both walked into the private garage in our nature bathing suits and unloaded. As someone else mentioned that is the big pain with the cabins, if you forget some thing in your vechile you have to get dressed again and go outside to the real world, not anymore. You can deffinetly tell the size difference between the pool and the room in these suites compared to the others, it is huge. The same goes for the hot tub in the bedroom, it has to be close to a 6 person hot tub. The only thing I liked better about the other pool suite is that the steam room had showers in them where the Chalet suite only has steam and no running water.

Will we go back, deffintely! But we will save the chalet suite for special occasions due to the fact that they never offfer discounts on this room type. When we do the Chalet suite this time we will probably go to Frankfort so we can have the showers in the steam room as well.

The best advice I could give would be to look for the special they offer where you buy a $300.00 gift certificate and they give you 2 robes for free. We always bring our own robes which are so soft compared to the ones at the suite which are scrathy feeling due to the heavy cleaning they do to them. Also, check the website for deals, they usaully give really good rates during the week. My wife would also suggest some Absolut Pear with sprite or 7up, seems to help the tropical feeling.

• Liked — Privacy, felt like you were in a different world away from everything.
  • Disliked — 6:00pm check in time
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
united states
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

I just got back today from Sybaris Resort in Northbrook, Illinois. We had a wonderful time. Very, very romantic and very private! We booked the Majestic Pool Suite. Before I booked the suite, I had been on the Sybaris website and viewed their virtual tour. I found the virtual tour to be very realistic of what the suite actually looked like. The suite was in its own separate building with a driveway to park your car right next to the door. This helped tremendously with those 'little things' you forget to take out of the car and you have to run out there during the night to get them!

There was a separate pool room that was glassed in which can be totally seen from the bedroom. The pool was 22 feet with a hot tub. I can not stress enough how romantic it was. Beautiful changing colored lights, speakers to hear the radio, steam room for two, chairs to sit in, table between to sit drinks etc. on. There was a small hot tub attached to the pool, just enough room for 2 people. A whirlpool tub was in the bedroom next to the bed. It was a 5x7, plenty big enough for all that 'romantic stuff'! But we seemed to favor the poolroom the most!

I have a couple of complaints. One is that when I went to bed for the night, I turned down the sheet and there was a fairly large stain on it. It wasn't a fresh stain, but a laundered one. And the mattress we slept on was a plastic one. I didn't have a problem with it being plastic but I noticed the next morning that it was torn and shredded on one side. I just didn't think both of these things were very 'cool' considering the amount of money we paid to stay in this suite.

My other complaints are about the poolroom. The pool doesn't have steps leading into the water, it only has 2 ladders. I actually fell down the ladder getting into the pool (and no I didn't have anything to drink b4!), I wasn't hurt, but a little surprised! And the hottub I found very hard to get in. There is a bench to sit on once you get inside but it is deep down inside the hottub. And the bench is the only thing to stand on to lower yourself into the hot tub. My partner could step down onto the bench from the side of the pool, but I couldn't so I had to sit down on the floor then swing my legs over into the hottub to get up.

Other than that, it was a very nice stay. Poolwater kept warm at 92 degrees, nice shower, vanity area. Flat screen TV up in the corner of the bedroom which could be seen very well from both the bed and the whirlpool. We kept the gas fireplace on all night as it added a lot of romantic ambience to the room!

When we checked out we received some discount coupons for a future visit. We definitely will go back. I recommend this resort to anyone who wants to celebrate a special occasion, or just get away, or for those of you who are just simply trying to rekindle the romance in your life! It is pricey, but hey! I figure most of us don't do this kind of stuff all the time and life is frequently stressful so we need to pamper ourselves every now and then!

• Liked — The complete privacy!
  • Disliked — The sheets on the bed.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

My wife and I visited the Sybaris in Northbrook for our anniversary, and I must be honest we had our doubts about cleanliness. We need not have worried, from the moment you check in the staff and the property are fantastic. We were given our chalet number and directions then we were off to our room. On opening the door its a big WOW. We chose the Paradise Suite because of the pool and there it was crystal clear water and the rest of the room sparkled. It was time to have some our time! So we closed the door and left the world behind, put some CD's in the CD changer and hit the pool and Hot Tub. We both said at the end of our visit we would be back and we will.

Yes its expensive BUT you get what you pay for and this is worth every penny. If you are looking for a romantic get away where you can leave the world behind but don't have the time for a flight to tropical climates. This is the place for you. Book it you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — The Pool
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Bartlett, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

I was very skeptical when booking this hotel as an early Valentine's Day gift for my husband, but we've been married 10 years and he has wanted to go for a long time, so I took the plunge...literally! I booked a pool suite and it was great! Very clean, cleaner than I expected and very relaxing. We were amazed that we were in our own little "hut" and it was so secluded! The massage chair was a nice perk. The only complaints were the steam shower. The spikets from the ceiling hurt they were so strong and as we were collecting our belongings to leave we noticed a small amount of ants were collecting by the far edge of the poolside.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — Small ant problem
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Grayslake
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

My husband and I have been members of the Sybaris now for almost twenty years and like so much we have seen in that time many changes. We typically stay in the Paradise Swimming Pool Suite however have stayed in other suites occassionally. It is a nice place for the four or five hours of get away deal in the middle of the day however when staying overnight we found the bed to be extremely uncomfortable. Actually I don't think I slept but two hours the bed was so bothersome to my back. As for cleanliness - it was and has continued to be clean and kept up. Interestingly (and we believe probably due to this day and age insurance wise) the pools in the newer rooms are very shallow -only about 3 foot deep - we recall in the older suites them to be much deeper. Anyway putting that aside as it is only one night and a private pool - as we have a pool and hot tub at home we noted the chemical in the hot tub to be very off as it was sudsing up. Lastly the check-in was a hassle this time so much so my husband almost told the kid to cancel our reservations right then and there. Reasoning was I booked it for us (for our 24th anniversary for the night) and placed the charges on our businesd card and forgot about that. When he went to check-in they ask for your credit card and he handed his AMX to them and they said no that's not the right card. He came out to the car and said what card did I place it on and I totally forgot it was on our business card and I said honestly I don't know. He went back in (by then several younger couples had checked in and were on their way to their rooms and here we were still sitting there due to this) and upon going back in told the guy he didn't have a clue what card it was placed on but here was his AMX take care of it with that furthering it with we'd never gone through this type of fiasco and had been staying there now over twenty years. He was ready to tell them cancel it and the kid took his other credit card. We were both ticked - and interestingly got our charges on our Amx and it was put through on the initial card called in - our biz card as opposed to the personal gold card he'd handed to him. Anyway - we have decided at this time not to renew our membership and in light of all are now believing comfortable beds and so forth to be more in order. All said, it is a nice little get away and we've gone there again for over 20 years.

• Liked — Due to the time of year with weather - simply location
  • Disliked — The bed was horrible - the check-in unusually aggravating
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary and stayed in one of the Chalets. It was beautiful and appeared to be very clean.
The bed had rose petals in a heart shape on it when we arrived, and we had a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us.
We did not use the jacuzzi in the bedroom area, but did use the pool and the hot tub as well as the steam and the Sharper Image chairs. Chairs were awesome.
The pool was great....wonderful temperature. How fun not to wear a bathing suit! The jacuzzi was wonderful too. It is small, but fine for two people. We turned on the waterfall a few times. It was very beautiful and private.
We brought shrimp, crablegs, snacks...and our own alcohol. If I had it all to do over again, I would have packed paper towels. They did not have any drinking glasses in the room, but we called the main desk area and someone brought them right away. They did provide little champagne glasses though.
The comforting thing about the bed/pillows is that everything is changed after each guest leaves. There is no comforter or bedspread that is the same for each guest. Instead there is a light coverlet type of blanket on top of the bed. The sheets were okay, but could have been softer. Bed was okay. We went to bed quite late, and did not get much sleep. It was too much fun to play in the pool. This was our second stay at the Sybaris.
First time was five years ago on our wedding night. I initially had reservations about staying there because I thought it would not be very nice, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would go back, but would probably be very satisfied with just the pool suite and not the chalet. The chalet was wonderful, but I think the lower priced rooms would be just as nice. I hope they continue to keep the place very clean. Here are some picky things that I noticed: I do think that they should replace the carpeting in the room. There were a few minor spots...For over $500. a night I don't want to see any spots. Also, the drinking glasses. I don't think I felt that they were very clean. That's why I would bring my own the next time. Along with the two champagne glasses, they did have plastic glasses, but its not fun to drink out of a plastic glass. I had brought chocolate to melt in the microwave to have along with our strawberries, but we could not figure out the microwave at all. The power was on, but we must have pushed the wrong buttons. I think they should replace the microwave since the words on the buttons had been worn off. Again, minor things, but when I am paying a lot of money, I expect it to be top notch.There is a small coffeemaker in the room if you want to have coffee the next morning. The best thing about the trip was that my husband and I got to concentrate on just eachother for several hours and overnight. Once inside the room, you have no idea what it is like outside. It is very dark inside, but there are lights of course. I think they should have candles. We brought one just in case. I wish I had packed more. The people who worked at the front desk area were very helpful and courteous. Overall, it was a beautiful, fantastic stay and we both wish it could have lasted longer.

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — expense
Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

My husband and I went to Sandals in Jamaica and we flew out of Chicago (O'Hare). Since we were flying into Chicago on our way back we decided to stay at Sybaris, to continue our romantic getaway once we got back to the states.

Our flight was totally delayed and we didnt end up getting to Sybaris until after 2am. But it was worth it anyways! We had late check out so we didnt have to leave our hotel until 3pm. When we got there, we were shocked. It was awesome inside.

We had a pool and hot tub in our room!!! It was great. We went swimming and soaked in the hot tub for a long time, it was very nice after a stressful flight. Our pool also had a waterfall, which we didnt enjoy much because it was loud. The room also had surround sound, so the music went into the pool area. There was a steam shower in our room too, which I didnt enjoy because I dont personally like that sort of thing, but I imagine it is nice for people who like them.

It was totally romantic to sit in the hot tub and look at the palm trees and such painted on the walls and reflect back to our trip in Jamaica.

Other parts of the room were quite kinky, but it was cool anyways. There are mirrors all around the bed, and there is ground lighting under the bed, and above the bed. We put the blue light on in the pool room and it was so relaxing for sleeping. They also had a massage chair in the room which was awesome. It felt good. There is also a microwave and a coffeemaker and a small fridge. The TV had a VCR and you could rent Movies from the front desk...certain type of movies if you know what i mean. And you have your own building for your room.

It was very romantic. They have all sorts of upgraded goodies you can do if you want to, like roses on the bed. Overall, it was an awesome night stay. Please email me if you want to see pictures (dont worry they arent 'naughty') Trip Advisor never works for loading pictures for me, so you can email me if you want some. Or email me if you have any questions!

Jamaicamenutts@aol.com

• Liked — Pool & Hot Tub in the room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sybaris Northbrook? Share your experiences!