“Great Rooms and Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northbrook
chicago
“Great Rooms and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had to stay at the Sheraton for an extended stay as I was relocating and apartment searching in the surrounding area. The staff was helpful, efficient, and accommodating. The food in the club lounge was always tasty and plentiful. Room service was good and brought the food quickly too. Rooms and bathrooms were spotless, and the bed was comfortable.

You can easily use the business services at the hotel, and the location is close to the interstate as well as to shopping (Whole Foods, CVS, and a few restaurants).

I would recommend the hotel to other business travelers and would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Diana S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Your kind review is truly appreciated and although you will be living locally we hope you consider us for any future opportunity to host you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ballwin, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

This Sheraton had excellent service- check in was a breeze. They even provided a razor and shaving cream at no charge because I forgot mine. Our only problem was that the shower lever wouldn't remain upright so we had to wedge a towel under it to keep the shower head going. There were only two towels in the room but I'm sure they would have accommodated had we asked for more. It was very clean and the bed was so comfortable! The pillows were nice and there was a down comforter. We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed July 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments, it's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Pros

Good rooms - big and comfortable
Bar food good - good selection

Cons

Poor check in service - long wait, 1 poor member of staff
Poor bar service - slow

Location only suited for business. Nothing more to do locally.

• Stayed July 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet our very high expectations to service quality. We will be addressing these shortcomings with our team and hope you will give us another try in the future.
Latrobe, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Sheraton Northbrook is a typical Sheraton Hotel, with this one being fairly new. The Hotel is located in a semi business location as there are several strip malls and shopping complexes either in the same area as the hotel, or very close nearby. Local road construction made travel a nightmare, but I didn't have to leave the shopping park we were located in.
The hotel's staff was helpful any time that we had a question and the club lounge was always stocked and provided good snacks and breakfasts. The rooms were typical for a Sheraton and were large enough to allow you to avoid feeling cramped.m The desk area was adequate for working, but seemed to always be cluttered as there aren't many areas in the room to sit anything upon, aside from the desk and nightstand. The room was clean, the linens were fresh, and the bed was very comfortable. There aren't ice and soda machines on every floor, so travel to other floors might be needed to fill your ice bucket and get a cold drink. The restaurant was located along with the bar on the ground floor and provided a somewhat limited menu, although what we ordered was very good.
In summary, the Northbrook Sheraton was located in a business/shopping area and provides all of the amenities that one comes to expect from a Sheraton. There are many places to shop as well as numerous restaurants tucked into the many mall type areas that surround the Hotel. The staff is great and I was comfortable for the several days that I spent there. I'd stay here again if I'm in the area.

Room Tip: The back side of the Hotel provides a slightly more picturesque view. The hallways are long, so keep...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Diana S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to review the hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return in the very near future.
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We are big fans of Sheraton hotels generally. We like the beds, the linens, price points, and the usually friendly and attentive staff. This one, not so much.

First, the good: excellent location, interesting if skimpily executed architecture, excellent Sheraton beds and linens, nice pool and exercise facility, and an interesting if not entirely intimate lobby connected to and contiguous with the bar, restaurant. lounge and business area.

The bad: indifferent and outright poor service including a rude self-identified manager, constant presence of service staff (I think we only rode the elevator 2-3 times over 4 day stay that we were not accompanied by service staff and their equipment), and totally inadequate closet and drawer space.

The location, on the North side of Willow on what was once Techny grounds (and just East of "Mount Trashmore" which is now a golf course) is outstanding. There are several restaurants & shops (including a Best Buy - handy if one forgets electronic accessories) within walking distance or a quick hop in the car immediately across the road. There are more restaurants across Willow and just a bit West in the office park (including a Chipotle and Steak & Shake) and even more restaurants, banks and shopping in "the Glen" just East South of Willow. Of course when we were there it was summer, so the roads in Chicagoland tradition were torn up.

Accomodations: Sheraton's bedding is excellent and this location was no exception. Extremely comfortable and easy to get a good night's sleep. However, clothes storage is limited to a single armoire with hanging space and only two deep, but small area, square drawers. Hands down the worst in this respect of any Sheraton we've ever stayed at. Fortunately, we have Eagle Creek packing gear so we could live out of our suitcases. Still, I expect adequate storage to unpack and live comfortably "out of the drawer" when I'm staying 4 nights. And disappointingly, the window coverings did not effectively block daylight, making sleeping-in after a tough flight in not at all satisfying.

The hallway carpeting is a series of loud stripes, not at all in keeping with the rest of the decor. Usually, I couldn't tell you specifically what the hall carpeting looks like. Here I can, and not in a good way. The place felt "cheap" in the hallways as a result.

Cleanliness: both our hallway and our room had off-odors. My wife describes it as dirty shoes or dirty feet odor.

Service: Nothing good to say. Nothing. It began at check-in. We had reserved 2 nights using Starwood rewards and 2 nights at a group rate back to back. Upon checking in, I requested that they note this and have us stay in the same room throughout. The clerk said she couldn't promise that, that I would have to come down the morning after the second night to make sure we were still in the same room and - amazingly - have our keys reprogrammed. It was late, we had waited 2 hours at the airport for our luggage, so I said fine. The morning arrived; I dutifully went to the front desk. A different clerk told me everything was fine, reset my key and we were on our way. When we returned to our room later in the day, needing to freshen up quickly for a dinner appointment, we were locked out of the room. Back to the front desk where now the original clerk was back on duty and was massively indifferent. She checked her computer and started to revise our keys. She then asked for ID. I asked to speak with the manager who, it turns out, was the woman standing behind the clerk. Not only did she not apologize, she argued with me over this sad performance.

More service, or lack thereof: every other time we have booked rooms using Starwood's rewards, the staff make us feel very special in lots of little ways. The one and only acknowledgement of our Starwood's Preferred Guest status came in passing when we checked in. It was at the level of "OK, you'd rather use American Express than Visa. Fine."

Service personnel: the place was simply lousy with various service staff members who seemed ubiquitous. And the hotel was not at any time during our stay particularly crowded with guests -- not empty, but not crowded.

In summation: great location, normal (excellent) Sheraton bedding, poor clothes storage, and indifferent service with an indifferent to slightly hostile attitude. We're likely to try some of the other hotels in the area next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Diana S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback offers valuable information that we can utilize to improve our future guest experiences. Thank you for your comments we truly appreciate the feedback and hope to have the opportunity in the future to host you once again.
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent a weekend at the Sheraton Northbrook in mid-June and I was very pleased with the hotel. The room was very inviting, the bed quite comfortable as well as the pillows too. My room had a glass shower which was nice, but I saw other rooms only had the standard shower curtain. Even though I'm not a huge Starbucks fan, the in-room coffee service featured some of the best coffee I've ever had. I wish I could recall the blend - I'd really like to buy some as it was that good. I also really appreciated the fact that it was possible to run just the fan without turning on the A/C or heat. Most hotel systems require one or the other to be on in order to get the fan, so this was a pleasant surprise. I had both one breakfast and one lunch during my stay. Breakfast was quite good - excellent pancakes. Lunch was also pretty good, but the waitress had a very hard time keeping the order straight. While it turned out to be borderline comical how badly the order got messed up, she did the right thing by adjusting the bill accordingly. For those people coming in from O'hare, be advised that the Shermer Rd/Willow Rd intersection is (or about to be) under construction and it's going to be tough getting through it if you arrive at the wrong time of day. I'm originally from Northbrook so this wasn't a problem for me, but I'd suggest turning left from Willow (assuming you are heading east) at either Landwehr or Pfingsten and proceed north on either of those roads to Techny. Turn right on that and proceed east to Founders Drive and turn right onto that. Proceed half mile or so and the hotel will be on your right. Finally the hotel is located in a shopping area with several restaurants, a Whole Foods and a Best Buy and is across the street (Willow Rd) from the Glen, which features more restaurants and shops (not walkable).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Diana S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks so much for your time in reviewing the hotel. We truly work very hard to ensure our guests have a wonderful experience. I also appreciate your "heads up" to our future travelers regarding construction in the area. As you know being from here Summer is also construction season. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!
Take care.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed for a family gathering in the area. The hotel is new and clean. Pretty basic new Sheraton and there is not a ton in the surrounding area but it is certainly easy to drive around. Quick checkin and fast internet made everything easy. Overall a basic, but nice business hotel and certainly good for the price. In general, I might consider it a 3 star but adjusted for price, I'd call it a 4.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are thankful for the business and look forward to future stays with us.

Been to Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!