“Awesome Accommodations and Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northbrook
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Awesome Accommodations and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I would very highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a clean and comfortable hotel stay at a reasonable rate and fairly close to Chicago (although definitely not within walking distance of the city). The check-in process was quick and simple. The beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious. I would definitely return to this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Diana S, Director of Sales at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for business. Prior to arriving, I read many of the negative reviews. If you are expecting a resort, you will be disappointed. If you are expecting a nice business travel hotel, you will be pleased. Check in was fast and easy with polite professional service. In fact every staff member with whom I had contact was polite, friendly and professional.

The hotel is fairly new so the building is in good condition. The rooms are on the small side, but not uncomfortably so. The décor is contemporary and attractive with upscale finishes. I particularly liked having the large desk located at the window so that I could look outside while I worked, and the large walk-in shower. I found the hotel to be quiet . I enjoyed my stay.

There were a few areas in which the hotel could improve. I went down for breakfast service, which the hotel states begins at 6:45 a.m. I arrived about 6:48 a.m. and there was already another guest sitting at table. I noticed that he had no coffee, no juice and no other drink or food item on his table. I sat down and waited five minutes and no dining room staff member ever arrived, so I left. If the hotel is going to state that breakfast service begins at 6:45, then it should begin at 6:45. I had business to attend to that morning and could not wait around for wait staff.

My second concern is one that I read about in one of the reviews. When I read this complaint, I thought that the reviewer must be overly critical; however after my own experience, I realized that this reviewer had an accurate complaint. This isn’t terribly important, but it is strange. When changing the channel on the guest room television, the screen goes blank for as long as six seconds before the next channel’s image appears. And the sound for that station doesn’t begin for another two or three seconds. I know this seems like a weird thing to complain about, but it is strangely frustrating when scrolling through the television stations. I’ve never experienced this situation before.

I would stay at this hotel again. The common areas and guest room was clean and in good repair. The bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel is quiet and at a convenient location. And the staff, with the exception of the breakfast staff, was polite, professional, and friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We truly appreciate it and will utilize your comments to help train and educate our Staff. We hope to see you again so you can witness firsthand the improvements we are making. Thanks again!
Campbell, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is your typical Sheraton hotel. I like how they offer full-blown coffee syrups in the lobby so you can make your own vanilla or hazelnut coffee in the morning. Other than that, it's your typical hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We truly appreciate it and hope to see you again very soon!
Ann Arbor, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The staff are always friendly, and incredibly, one even remembered us from 10 months ago!

The beds are so comfy, sheets silky smooth, pillows soft and supportive, bathroom is elegant and clean, plenty of space to set your bags down on the bench under the wide-screen TV. Fast and easily accessible internet. However, the best secret (and the reason why we came -- besides the staff :) is the hot tub: it has the most powerful jets on the planet. Really a treat. Better than a spa. Ahhh...

Right down the street from a Whole Foods and other shopping, plus Pinstripes (with indoor dining, bowling and bocce ball) if that's your cup of tea.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Diana S, Manager at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback! Our staff works very hard to ensure that our guests feel happy and comfortable during their stay. One of the things we pride ourselves on is our employees and I will be sure to share your feedback with them. Looking forward to having you stay with us again and again.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I planned to stay for four nights but checked out after two. The room was small and furnished with cheap inadequate furnishings. Inadequate lighting. No closet, only a small armoire with two smallish drawers. No drawers in bathroom. No drawers in night stand. No couch, only one conformable sitting chair and that one didn't have a light nearby. Inadequate ventilation. No exhaust fan in bathroom. Fan on heating/ cooling system cannot be made to run except by thermostat. I had to turn on the air conditioning to dehumidify the room after a shower on a day when the ground was covered with snow.
Probably adequate for a one night, one person, business stay. Not adequate fro two people or multiple night.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Diana S, General Manager at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. One of the most important things we learn from on-line reviews is how we might better serve our guests. Please know that we consider your feedback valuable in improving our product and service. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.
Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Management
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I grew up in the area, but have been gone for 18 years. The courteous staff was happy to update me about the changed landscape. The hill behind the hotel - I remember it as a landfill - now it is a golf course! The naval station - a high end mall. My former highschool - they make movies there now - (well that makes sense they filmed the Breakfast Club there the year it closed)! Large room - even larger desk! - perfect for the business traveler. Comfy bed, quiet halls. Safe neighborhood for a wonderful run - hill optional. While the usually insanely marked up lobby beverages were only moderately marked up - $1 for a coke - there are stores within walking distances and the shuttle will take you to area conveniences or business meetings. If only there was a mini bar or fridge to store my caffeine habit.

Room Tip: It is a long walk, but ask for a room at the end of the hall overlooking the Retreat center
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here in October 2012 with my wife and 2 kids. We had a room with 2 double beds but was disappointed. The beds seemed quite smaller than we normally see in a room the 4 of us stay. My wife and I are normal size and really had a hard time sleeping together in the bed. Also, I realize this is a newer, more modern looking hotel, but I don't understand the design. The bathroom door is on a track outside the doorway kind of like you would see on an old ship or something. It was loud, and if someone got up in the night it would easily disturb everyone. Not to mention the door is fogged glass which does nothing to prevent light from shining into the room. Once again if you get disturbed from the noise of the door, you can bet getting to sleep would be tough until the light gets turned out!

We stayed on a Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights and we also had problems with the service. Most of the staff was friendly, but they either didn't have enough people or were poorly managed. We were in town for an event on Saturday. We got up, showered and dressed to leave for the morning portion. We were out until at least 4pm, and had to go back and change for the evening portion at 6pm. When we got back we found the room had still NOT been cleaned for the day! Knowing my time was running short I looked for the maid staff on the floor and asked why our room wasn't done and they had trouble understanding me, but I think it was because someone was being trained. I asked them to do my room right away and we went to the lobby to wait.

In the lobby I spoke to the front desk to see why at 4pm our room would not have been cleaned for the day. I was not pleased with their response as they said they were working on it best they could. So we sat and waited until the front desk told us our room was ready. So, back up we went and got to the room to find it was far from ready as they were still in there working on it. Now I was really mad and I went back down to give them a piece of my mind, I was given 2 free drinks as a way for them to apologize. Not good enough, but I took the drinks. It was finally finished about 10 minutes later.

Oh, and on top of all this we had an entire day during our stay with NO HOT WATER! The entire hotel had no hot water! My poor kids had to take cold showers for an event!

Next time I'm in the area I will be staying at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore instead. Its close by and comparable in price but much nicer overall!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!