“One of Our Favorites” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northbrook
Ann Arbor, MI
“One of Our Favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The staff are always friendly, and incredibly, one even remembered us from 10 months ago!

The beds are so comfy, sheets silky smooth, pillows soft and supportive, bathroom is elegant and clean, plenty of space to set your bags down on the bench under the wide-screen TV. Fast and easily accessible internet. However, the best secret (and the reason why we came -- besides the staff :) is the hot tub: it has the most powerful jets on the planet. Really a treat. Better than a spa. Ahhh...

Right down the street from a Whole Foods and other shopping, plus Pinstripes (with indoor dining, bowling and bocce ball) if that's your cup of tea.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Diana S, Manager at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback! Our staff works very hard to ensure that our guests feel happy and comfortable during their stay. One of the things we pride ourselves on is our employees and I will be sure to share your feedback with them. Looking forward to having you stay with us again and again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I planned to stay for four nights but checked out after two. The room was small and furnished with cheap inadequate furnishings. Inadequate lighting. No closet, only a small armoire with two smallish drawers. No drawers in bathroom. No drawers in night stand. No couch, only one conformable sitting chair and that one didn't have a light nearby. Inadequate ventilation. No exhaust fan in bathroom. Fan on heating/ cooling system cannot be made to run except by thermostat. I had to turn on the air conditioning to dehumidify the room after a shower on a day when the ground was covered with snow.
Probably adequate for a one night, one person, business stay. Not adequate fro two people or multiple night.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Diana S, General Manager at Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. One of the most important things we learn from on-line reviews is how we might better serve our guests. Please know that we consider your feedback valuable in improving our product and service. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.
Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Management
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I grew up in the area, but have been gone for 18 years. The courteous staff was happy to update me about the changed landscape. The hill behind the hotel - I remember it as a landfill - now it is a golf course! The naval station - a high end mall. My former highschool - they make movies there now - (well that makes sense they filmed the Breakfast Club there the year it closed)! Large room - even larger desk! - perfect for the business traveler. Comfy bed, quiet halls. Safe neighborhood for a wonderful run - hill optional. While the usually insanely marked up lobby beverages were only moderately marked up - $1 for a coke - there are stores within walking distances and the shuttle will take you to area conveniences or business meetings. If only there was a mini bar or fridge to store my caffeine habit.

Room Tip: It is a long walk, but ask for a room at the end of the hall overlooking the Retreat center
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here in October 2012 with my wife and 2 kids. We had a room with 2 double beds but was disappointed. The beds seemed quite smaller than we normally see in a room the 4 of us stay. My wife and I are normal size and really had a hard time sleeping together in the bed. Also, I realize this is a newer, more modern looking hotel, but I don't understand the design. The bathroom door is on a track outside the doorway kind of like you would see on an old ship or something. It was loud, and if someone got up in the night it would easily disturb everyone. Not to mention the door is fogged glass which does nothing to prevent light from shining into the room. Once again if you get disturbed from the noise of the door, you can bet getting to sleep would be tough until the light gets turned out!

We stayed on a Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights and we also had problems with the service. Most of the staff was friendly, but they either didn't have enough people or were poorly managed. We were in town for an event on Saturday. We got up, showered and dressed to leave for the morning portion. We were out until at least 4pm, and had to go back and change for the evening portion at 6pm. When we got back we found the room had still NOT been cleaned for the day! Knowing my time was running short I looked for the maid staff on the floor and asked why our room wasn't done and they had trouble understanding me, but I think it was because someone was being trained. I asked them to do my room right away and we went to the lobby to wait.

In the lobby I spoke to the front desk to see why at 4pm our room would not have been cleaned for the day. I was not pleased with their response as they said they were working on it best they could. So we sat and waited until the front desk told us our room was ready. So, back up we went and got to the room to find it was far from ready as they were still in there working on it. Now I was really mad and I went back down to give them a piece of my mind, I was given 2 free drinks as a way for them to apologize. Not good enough, but I took the drinks. It was finally finished about 10 minutes later.

Oh, and on top of all this we had an entire day during our stay with NO HOT WATER! The entire hotel had no hot water! My poor kids had to take cold showers for an event!

Next time I'm in the area I will be staying at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore instead. Its close by and comparable in price but much nicer overall!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Johnson City, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've stayed at this Sheraton many times since 2010 on business. It's a competent property that benefits from having very little competition close by, and it's newness is a big benefit.

The staff has always been courteous and professional. The restaurant is fine. Exercise facilities are good (if a little small for a business traveler-oriented hotel).

Rooms are well-sized with nice, modern bathrooms (great stand-alone showers). Bedding is excellent and comfy. Instead of a closet, a nice armoire stores clothes. The rooms have a good-sized desk with plenty of plugs, making an excellent work area. The wi-fi at the hotel is often quite slow. Breakfast in the lounge is above average in my experience.

One thing that concerns me is the persistent smell of dampness on the guest floors when I stay there. It's never interfered with sleep but is always noticeable, especially in the first 30 minutes or so upon entry.

All in all, this is an easy hotel to recommend for now if you need to be in Northbrook for business.

Room Tip: Some rooms have great, standalone showers (which I prefer) and no tub, while other rooms have a full...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Check in was pretty good, very friendly staff. Well explained features, club, etc. No upgrade. Lobby was clean. Pantry had a very small choice of items.

When walked to room on 4th floor, I noticed bumps in the carpet. Turns out the bumps are from the carpet coming up from the floor, in the middle of the hall. Almost a trip hazard.

Smell of the hallway and room very reminiscent of a nursing home, or elder care facility. Not super strong, but not pleasant.

Entering room took photos. Room was normal size room with typical recent Sheraton style. Bathroom nice and clean, workspace excellent. Bed nice and comfy.

HVAC worked very well. Tried air conditioning, and heat, both very responsive.

Internet excellent, stayed online all night.

Carpet in room coming up from the floor, and once again, a potential trip hazard. The bumps are about 1 inch high by about 8 inches long. They blend in with the dark carpet, so hard to see.

I am surprised to see this extreme carpeting issue throughout a newer Sheraton. I cannot imagine how the carpeting vendor would not be accountable for such a poor installation. Nonetheless, the carpet should be replaced, or repaired.

Ordered room service, and it took about 40 minutes to receive food..

Ordered burger and fries, with carrot cake. Did not receive fries (which I did not notice until I sat down to eat). I called to room service. No one answered the phone, but there was a voice mail message saying to leave a message and they would respond to my request ASAP. I never received a call back, or my fries.

If room service response was good when I called, I would probably have given hotel 4 stars. But after that, and the carpeting, i downgraded to 3 stars.

Room Tip: Request away from elevator, and non-connecting room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Trussville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a clean comfortable new Sheraton - really enjoyed the set up of this facility. I got a good deal on the room as it was booked through Hotwire. I am not sure if I would pay full price to stay here or even what full price is. However, I will say the staff is very friendly and went above and beyond when I asked to find the closest Chicago pizza for dinner. If you are in the area for Kraft or etc., it is a great area to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!