“Thanks, but no thanks. Other, better options exist.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Northbrook
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Thanks, but no thanks. Other, better options exist.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here in October 2012 with my wife and 2 kids. We had a room with 2 double beds but was disappointed. The beds seemed quite smaller than we normally see in a room the 4 of us stay. My wife and I are normal size and really had a hard time sleeping together in the bed. Also, I realize this is a newer, more modern looking hotel, but I don't understand the design. The bathroom door is on a track outside the doorway kind of like you would see on an old ship or something. It was loud, and if someone got up in the night it would easily disturb everyone. Not to mention the door is fogged glass which does nothing to prevent light from shining into the room. Once again if you get disturbed from the noise of the door, you can bet getting to sleep would be tough until the light gets turned out!

We stayed on a Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights and we also had problems with the service. Most of the staff was friendly, but they either didn't have enough people or were poorly managed. We were in town for an event on Saturday. We got up, showered and dressed to leave for the morning portion. We were out until at least 4pm, and had to go back and change for the evening portion at 6pm. When we got back we found the room had still NOT been cleaned for the day! Knowing my time was running short I looked for the maid staff on the floor and asked why our room wasn't done and they had trouble understanding me, but I think it was because someone was being trained. I asked them to do my room right away and we went to the lobby to wait.

In the lobby I spoke to the front desk to see why at 4pm our room would not have been cleaned for the day. I was not pleased with their response as they said they were working on it best they could. So we sat and waited until the front desk told us our room was ready. So, back up we went and got to the room to find it was far from ready as they were still in there working on it. Now I was really mad and I went back down to give them a piece of my mind, I was given 2 free drinks as a way for them to apologize. Not good enough, but I took the drinks. It was finally finished about 10 minutes later.

Oh, and on top of all this we had an entire day during our stay with NO HOT WATER! The entire hotel had no hot water! My poor kids had to take cold showers for an event!

Next time I'm in the area I will be staying at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore instead. Its close by and comparable in price but much nicer overall!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Johnson City, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've stayed at this Sheraton many times since 2010 on business. It's a competent property that benefits from having very little competition close by, and it's newness is a big benefit.

The staff has always been courteous and professional. The restaurant is fine. Exercise facilities are good (if a little small for a business traveler-oriented hotel).

Rooms are well-sized with nice, modern bathrooms (great stand-alone showers). Bedding is excellent and comfy. Instead of a closet, a nice armoire stores clothes. The rooms have a good-sized desk with plenty of plugs, making an excellent work area. The wi-fi at the hotel is often quite slow. Breakfast in the lounge is above average in my experience.

One thing that concerns me is the persistent smell of dampness on the guest floors when I stay there. It's never interfered with sleep but is always noticeable, especially in the first 30 minutes or so upon entry.

All in all, this is an easy hotel to recommend for now if you need to be in Northbrook for business.

Room Tip: Some rooms have great, standalone showers (which I prefer) and no tub, while other rooms have a full...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Check in was pretty good, very friendly staff. Well explained features, club, etc. No upgrade. Lobby was clean. Pantry had a very small choice of items.

When walked to room on 4th floor, I noticed bumps in the carpet. Turns out the bumps are from the carpet coming up from the floor, in the middle of the hall. Almost a trip hazard.

Smell of the hallway and room very reminiscent of a nursing home, or elder care facility. Not super strong, but not pleasant.

Entering room took photos. Room was normal size room with typical recent Sheraton style. Bathroom nice and clean, workspace excellent. Bed nice and comfy.

HVAC worked very well. Tried air conditioning, and heat, both very responsive.

Internet excellent, stayed online all night.

Carpet in room coming up from the floor, and once again, a potential trip hazard. The bumps are about 1 inch high by about 8 inches long. They blend in with the dark carpet, so hard to see.

I am surprised to see this extreme carpeting issue throughout a newer Sheraton. I cannot imagine how the carpeting vendor would not be accountable for such a poor installation. Nonetheless, the carpet should be replaced, or repaired.

Ordered room service, and it took about 40 minutes to receive food..

Ordered burger and fries, with carrot cake. Did not receive fries (which I did not notice until I sat down to eat). I called to room service. No one answered the phone, but there was a voice mail message saying to leave a message and they would respond to my request ASAP. I never received a call back, or my fries.

If room service response was good when I called, I would probably have given hotel 4 stars. But after that, and the carpeting, i downgraded to 3 stars.

Room Tip: Request away from elevator, and non-connecting room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Trussville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a clean comfortable new Sheraton - really enjoyed the set up of this facility. I got a good deal on the room as it was booked through Hotwire. I am not sure if I would pay full price to stay here or even what full price is. However, I will say the staff is very friendly and went above and beyond when I asked to find the closest Chicago pizza for dinner. If you are in the area for Kraft or etc., it is a great area to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Felt like set up if Hyatt Place - with half the service and half the room size. Wasn't impressed at all, service was scattered and dismissive. Internet was down most of my time there, and overall below average. Maybe I'm becoming a Marriott person? I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

There were 3 wedding parties staying at the hotel when we went, 2 of which had their ceremonies and receptions there. We were part of the third one, that had the ceremony and reception offsite.

The rooms were nice and clean, the front desk staff were very friendly as were the majority of the restaurant and bar staff.

We were disappointed of the restaurant server on Labor Day morning - she saw us with our bags (an obvious sign that someone is in a hurry) and could not walk any slower to give us breakfast menus. Before we were able to ask for espressos while she was handing us the menus, she turned around and left. We waited for 15 minutes for her to show back up (the restaurant is small with only a few tables and only 1 was already occupied) and told her we were leaving because she was taking too long. She giggled and said "OK" rudely.

We would consider returning to this property for other occasions but would definitely have one in mind. You should too.

Room Tip: Rooms with better view are the ones facing the parking lot (Willow Rd side).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Sheraton Northbrook is a pleasant stay. Located just north of The Glen it is convenient to many NorthShore locations. Close by are the usual upscale "fast food" places with even places like Whole Food, Lowes, and Costco fancied up for the NorthShore. The hotel is stylish.Some of the rooms are a long way from the one bank of elevators located towards the end of the hall. The lobby and bar looked like comfortable places to meet with friends. I was solo but several wedding parties were staying at the hotel. The room was nice size and rather quiet considering the doors are so heavy that they bang shut. The staff was efficient and pleasant. Easy parking and easy in and out. The only negative comment would be the linens and towels are not up to the quality that I expect being mainly a Hyatt person. The price of my room was low because I had a group rate. I suspect the rates are much higher and thus would lower the overall value. If you need to be in the area... a good choice.

Room Tip: Rooms are the north side overlook a subdivision. Room room on the south side overlook the parking lo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sheraton Chicago Northbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!