“Stay away from there” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago

You added Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago to your Saves list
Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Highway 41 Skokie Hwy, Corner of Rt.41 & Buckley Road., North Chicago, IL 60044   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in North Chicago
SC
“Stay away from there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

If you know what's good for you, don't waste your money there. Although it is only about a mile from RTC, driving longer with better hotel is worth it. There were spiders in the room. The Continental breakfast was a joke. The bed was hard and on a slope. No cups were in the room. The TV contrast and brightness was horrible. The TV had burn marks from cigarettes on it, the curtains had holes in them. The night stand was chipping horribly and something that Goodwill wouldn't accept. They would never leave enough towels and wash clothes. The toilet had a piece of wood covering the water basin rather than a regular ceramic lid. The first thing I noticed when walking into the room was a strong burnt smell. The list goes on and on, I simply don't recommend staying at this slum hotel. Stay at your own risk. However, the staff was nice and did listen to your complaints. If I were you, and you're reading this take my word for it, drive a bit longer to get to your kid's graduation and have a good stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I have no idea what the others were disappointed in,but things must have changed since then. I rented this room for 4 adults, which were all satisfied with the cleanliness and size of the room. My son was graduating from the navy and the location is perfect for getting there in time to aquire a good seat. The staff was very pleasant and took care of all my needs. I was hot and in the middle of winter asked for a fan in my room. The staff hunted a fan down, cleaned it to look as if it were brand new and brought it to me. I have absolutely NO complaints and very much enjoyed my stay. When I left my son kept the room and they transfered it to his name so he would not have to leave it when I left for home.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

We had booked reservations on the internet for the dates 05/07-05/10, 2009 received confirmation on a dbl queen, non-smoking room. This was for 3 adults. We drove 950 miles only to arrive find out there were no dbl queen beds w/non-smoking. We were given a dbl queen smoking. This was not acceptable. The only other roon was a king bed w/jacuuzy no folded beds avail. We had no choice, but to go with this my son had to sleep on the floor for 3 nights. The last night, 05/10 they had a fold-out bed, but it sagged in the middle. They also only provided 2 towels 05/08 05/09 no towels on 05/10, we had to ask for more towels. There was no coffee maker in the room either. I find this appalling.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
DaysInnGreatLakes, owner at Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago, responded to this review, May 29, 2009
The afternoon of this reservation, we had a plumbing issue in the room directly above the room assigned to this particular customer. Unfortunately, we usually book up weeks in advance and all non-smoking double queens are usually the first to go. We did everything we could to accommodate, offering suggestions of alternatives which included sterilizing a smoking room to convert it to a non-smoking room (steam-cleaning carpets, changing to non-smoking linens and mattress, etc). Plumbing issues arise from time to time, however we'd rather have a dry customer than a wet one.
Albuquerque
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

THIS IS THE WORST PLACE EVER!! DO NOT STAY THERE!!! The hotel is filthy, the service is horrible and the hotel is filled with smoke. The management allowed guests to stay in the hallways and yell, smoke, cry to all hours of the morning. Even when we called to the desk to address the issue, they said, "oh okay, they are still there, huh?". The beds and linens were horrible and dirty. The towels (or lack of) were like sandpaper. We got no sleep because of the noise and the paper thin walls as we heard everything all night long. It was scary to even stay at this place.

We went for the continental breakfast two days in a row and no coffee, the cereal was old. There was no microwave, refrigerator in the rooms. The hotel promotes being newly renovated - that is definitely not the case. They promote free shuttle to the base for graduation - that is a total joke. It will cost you a bunch!!

I believe even the cockroaches have moved out. The hallways smelled of vomit and smoke!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
menasha, wi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

When we first arrived I noticed that the check-in area was very dirty and reminded me of going to my grandparents barn when I was a kid. I am not really picky about the outdated look so that didn't bother me. What did bother me was that we got to our no smoking room and there was smoke in the air. My wife suggested to open the window as I got to the window I found that it was open. The window didn't have a screen on it or any other way to protect people from coming in and out of the room from outside.

Here is the other things wrong:
Toilet tank was completely busted and the tank cover was missing.
The sheets were dirty and staind. We took the sheets off and the bed had holes and chunks out of the mattress. The box spring was rotten and had mice and bug holes in it.
My shoes stuck to the carpet.
No battery in the smoke alarm.
No clock
No ice bucket
dirty rag in the shower
Only small hand towels
No HBO or wireless internet
Free breakfast was dry cereal with no milk

• Liked — Check out
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calumet
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

This was the most horrible hotel experience we have ever had. The room was okay but our kids found a noodle in the bed, were the sheets changed? The walls are so paper thin we heard everything, and I mean everything the neighbors said and did. We could hear exactly what they were watching on TV and everything they said and did. At midnight we asked the front desk to call them to tell them to be quiet. They said they did but we never heard it and at 3:00 am they were still keeping us awake. We complained to the front desk and they did absolutely nothing about it. We would never stay at another Days Inn ever again. We are not the type of people to complain but this was an unexceptable experience, we didn't hardly get any sleep all night.

Stayed August 2008
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

I have stayed at Days Inn in different locations and never experienced such a pathetic visit as this one at the Days Inn in North Chicago. When we first arrived at the hotel, we noticed the lack of vehicles in the parking lot and after two night stay we know why! We arrived around 9:00/10:00 p.m. on the first night and had to ring for service. A man appeared from the back room with a closed door, not approriately dressed, no name tag, nothing. No greeting, nothing, just took my credit card and handed us a key and said the room is down the hall.

When we entered the room, we thought, ok, not bad, until we realized the toilet was clogged and we only had little towels to take a shower with. The king size bed looked nice after a long day of traveling, but we were disappointed once again with a horrible mattress where you felt every spring dig into your body.

Things got worse when we woke up and there was no one at the front desk, no breakfast - just coffee with dry cereal set out with no milk or bowls at 8 a.m.! As we left for the day we noticed the stack of newspapers outside the front door with no one thinking of bringing them inside.

Not wanting to come back for one more night, we decided maybe things would be better if someone else was working, but we were not surprised when we came back that evening and no one was at the desk and the door was closed. We went straight to our rooms to take a shower and go to bed, but the key no longer worked, so we had to go to the front desk and ring for someone AGAIN! Another guy dressed in just a t-shirt and jeans, looked like we had bothered him by making him do his job. Again no hello or sorry or anything!

So get into our room and see stained towels and some white powder on the bathroom door again from the day before - it wasn't a stain because I could easily wipe it off.

We woke up and at 8:45 a.m. we got COLD coffee and no one at the desk. He finally came out and brought some bagels in a bag and a couple bowls for the cereal and some milk, but in no friendly mannerm when breakfast was to be from 6-9. Old newspapers were still in the lobby as we checked out, no thank yous, nothing.

To top everything off, as we left we saw a smashed window that was there the last two days on the first level - real nice!

• Liked — Location was between where we wanted to go - Milwaukee and Chicago.
  • Disliked — Service, or lack there of!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago? Share your experiences!