“Not bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago

You added Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago to your Saves list
Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3000 Highway 41 Skokie Hwy, Corner of Rt.41 & Buckley Road., North Chicago, IL 60044   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in North Chicago
Bainbridge, Indiana
“Not bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Fled to this hotel after 3 disastrous days at another hotel. Arrived in the evening & was greeted by a very nice young lady at the desk. She recommended the diner across the street for dinner (which had excellent food). She checked with us on our way out to dinner to see if everything was okay in our room & advised she would be there until midnight if we did find that we needed something. Breakfast room was small, but had a variety of items each day. Renovations in progress, but didn't affect our stay. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Seminole, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We just got back from my son's Navy graduation.
The hotel staff were great, friendly and always willing to assist. Every request was taken care of with a smile. We had two rooms and both rooms were clean. It was obvious that the hotel was slowly being renovated. Breakfast area is very small, so we got our food and ate in our room the first morning. Other mornings there was enough room for us to eat i the breakfast area. Location was great, only one mile to the Navy base for graduation! Parking was plentiful, and free.
We had a great experience at this hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I must admit, I booked this stay without checking the reviews... I thought I had already stayed at the worst hotel ever last summer, and thought the chances of finding a worse hotel were slim to none, well, I should play the lottery. I'll probably win. North Chicago Days Inn, was by far, the nastiest, scarriest, crappiest, hotel i've EVER stayed in. The only thing good about this hotel, is not discovering bed bugs, as I did my required bed check, immediatley upon room entrance. So i'll give them that. Seems to be bed bug free. But i'm not an exterminator, or an entomologist, so don't quote me. We arrived very late, 11:30pm, which was really 12:30 eastern time, long day, long drive. Was greeted by an OVERLY friendly and talkative woman at the desk. Can't complain about that. She advised me of the shuttle to the Naval Station in the morning, as I was advertised when the room was booked. She advised me of their free Wi-Fi, but never offered the code. I also signed a waiver that I wouldn't smoke, or steal the refrigerator or microwave. I thanked her for the information, and took a cart to retrieve our luggage from the car. I got everything on the cart, preceeded to wheel the cart back in, the step at the door required me to lift the cart up to get it over the threshold, and in the hotel. I lifted it by the rails, as ANYONE would have... The rails unattatched, And all of my belongings spilled out everywhere. All of my toiletries, all over the place. No one offered to help me, It was frustrating to say the least. Then, off to our room, where there was no refrigerator or microwave, a cigarette burn covered sink, a patched hole in the shower wall. The ugliest, most disgusting rubber looking patch. I half thought that maybe it was so they could take pictures of us showering. Then we flushed the toilet. 3 minutes of flush. No lie. Everytime. Not running. Actual flush. 3 minutes. Then. Laid in bed, the TV wouldn't turn on. Come to find out, it just wasn't plugged in. (who unplugs the hotel TV?) maybe they needed the outlet for their cell phone, because there were no extra outlets except on the sink. Once the TV was on, the screen kept scrambling. Also, the heater smelled SO horrible, I almost chose to just be cold. Next morning, had to get ready early for Naval graduation, my daughter found that the tub stopper was broken, because it wouldn't lift to drain tub. The connector to lift it up was completley broken off. Jagged metal, in the most slippery tub EVER. So, we just removed it. No time to complain. Went outside, got in the shuttle, found out we had to pay, good thing we had cash on us. (thought the shuttle was free, but no one ever really said "free" they also never said "the cost) Had to find our own cab back to the hotel, since we had to pay, wasn't such a big deal. Got back, housekeeping kindly had not left enough wash cloths, but DID leave enough towels, (strange) good thing I hid a clean wash cloth, i figured they might have crappy housekeeping, I was right. Then, beds were made, with old sheets, and they were just covered up with the bed spread. The sheets were still all disheveled underneath, you know, the way you make your bed when you wanted your mom to think you cleaned your room? Yeah. Also, my daughters key card wasn't working. Next day. NO housekeeping or towels whatsoever. They never came past when we were in the room, or after we left. I stopped at the desk, when we got in, after a long day, had to wait for someone to SHOW UP at the desk, and when I asked for towels, she got an attitude. Like I was asking for something out of the ordinary. At check out the next day,  I complained about nothing, because this seems like the kind of place that would try to bill me for a microwave that wasn't in my room, I just took the jagged tub stopper to them, wrapped in a towel, and advised them that we didn't break this, it was broke upon 1st shower, and that it was pretty dangerous. I was very non confrontational, I wasn't looking for a discount. I just wanted out of that place. The desk guy started to excuse the broken stopper (as if this was my ONLY problem, he KNOWS better) explaining that had I just reported on my 1st day, it would have been fixed... Carried on. I said ok, can I have a receipt? He looked as if he didn't know what to do... Then he gave me the receipt to sign from when they insisted on pre payment on the 1st day... Then we escaped.

Long story short. I was there to see my son for the 1st time since he left home, for his graduation, and his birthday. I didn't have time to waste complaining, or transferring to a new hotel. I will NEVER go there again. I will also read reviews, and believe the unfavorable  ones. A super 8 would have been cleaner, and more comfortable. I agree with all the other negative reviews, posted prior to mine. The only thing I didn't see were bugs. Don't stay here. Unless you enjoy filth and HORRIBLE service. A very uncomfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2012
Lake Bluff, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I worked for the railroad in Washington state for three years and stayed at Days Inns all over the west coast. By far Days Inn Great Lakes has had the best customer service and cleanliness. My stay was for twelve days, eleven nights and i was impressed at the smiles and friendly service I was greeted with. The room I stayed in was extremely clean. The only complaint I have is that I had to leave. I came here for my fiances graduation and being only 1.6 miles from the naval base was a plus I was able to spend more time with her. The breakfast was a pleasant thing to be woken up to the smell just fills the air. If I ever come back to the area I will be sure to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

My room was dirty I had handprints on the wall, my shower curtain had stains on them, the bathroom ceiling had rust on it, there is no fridge or microwave and if you want those things you have to pay an extra $10 a night for it. I had a terrible smell in my room and was worse when I needed to turn on the the heater. I booked it because they said that they remodeled the rooms and had new carpet but my carpet had stains. My husband graduated from Navy bootcamp so I booked it because they had a "shuttle" that took you to the base, it was really just a cab. I also heard what was going on in the next room over and what was going on in the hall way. I felt like I didn't have any privacy. I will say MOST of the staff was nice and friendly. The breakfast was not anything great and had limited choices. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were a little nervous about making reservations here because of some reviews but the price and location seemed perfect so we went for it. We are so glad we did. The people were very nice,our rooms were very clean,and the breakfast was great!!Also the location was perfect and you did not have to make a U turn on 41 all you have to do is go left out the side road entrance and this takes you out to 137 which is the road the Naval Base is on.

Room Tip: Back end of Hotel away from the highway are much quiter
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
DaysInnLakeBluff, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
We are glad your enjoyed your stay! We appreciate your feedback. Hope to see you soon. Thanks!
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We definitely enjoyed our stay at the Days Inn in Great Lakes. The lobby had a pleasant scent and was inviting. the front desk was very pleasant and helpful with all of our questions. the rooms were very nice and cozy. The best part is that they are just 1 mile from the base which allowed us to spend more time with our son who graduated from the Great Lakes Naval Base. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: request a king or 2 queen,
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Great Lakes - N. Chicago? Share your experiences!