“Not that bad really.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel

You added Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel to your Saves list
Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8201 W Higgins Rd, Norridge, IL 60631 (Formerly Wyndham Garden Hotel Chicago - O'Hare)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Norridge
New York City, New York
“Not that bad really.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Really not that bad for the price. I actually slept much better than expected. The room was nice and warm and fairly clean. Yes the comforter had holes in it, but you can tell it's from over-washing. If it bothers you, bring your own sheets. The bathtub is chipped. Just don't take a bath in it! Take a shower. The "breakfast" is a joke. When I read "bad breakfast" on previous reviews, I expected maybe some stale bagels. But Swiss Chocolate rolls! I would recommend these people stop advertising that they have breakfast. It makes them look really cheap. The neighborhood is a safe suburban neighborhood. There's a super-market and Starbucks 10 mins away. Mac's diner is an awesome Mom and Pop restaurant. Pizzeria around there also pretty good. The Blue Line metro is 10 mins away. The ride is about an hour to downtown Chicago, which is really not that bad for the price you're paying in the hotel. Late night traveling on the metro was also pretty safe. All in all good hotel to stay in for a couple of nights. Don't go expecting anything fancy. It's a warm, safe, and clean place to spend the night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I booked this on Hotwire for a mere 25 dollars per night without knowing what the hotel name was. When I found out and read the reviews I was expecting the worst, and indeed, if you are used to moderate or upscale hotels then I can see how this would be a horrible experience. However, if you are the type of person used to staying in hostels or budget places, this hotel is actually not all that bad. Yes, it's worn down looking and feeling and their are stains and old furnishings. However, the sheets were clean, the towels were clean, the hot water was fine, and the door locked. Also, the "continental breakfast" consists of a giant platter of Drake's Yodels cakes, which we thought was hiliarious and took a picture of it to put on Facebook. I had a lot of trouble finding any hotel in Chicago under $100 per night, so if you approach this with the right attitude, it can work out just fine. Think of this hotel as like staying in a hostel, but you get your own room and bathroom. There's a Hooters next door if you're into that thing and a very good and recommended restaurant called Mac's about a five minute walk away which had an awesome breakfast. The walk to the Cumberland stop on the Blue line El takes about ten minutes and isn't the most pedestrian friendly of walks, however we really had no problems. So bottom line is I've stayed in far worse for much more money. Take a chance on this just don't expect the Ritz (or the Ramada).

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel is terrible. First of all I think it is TOTALLY wrong that they use a name like "Garden Inn" to trick people into thinking it is a Hilton without really paying attention to the name. This hotel is dirty and run down. When I checked in I felt very uneasy about it but it was 11:00 at night and I was exhausted. I noticed there were about 15 people hanging out in the lobby using the wi-fi (only accessible in the lobby which is BS). I took the elevator up to my floor and when I got out there were more people sitting around in the elevator area and hallways on their computer and eating. I opened the door to my room and immediately noticed the room was hot and stinky. I went over to the AC unit and it didn't even have power to turn on! I then went to the phone to call down to the front desk and the phone didn't work/have a dial tone! At that point I decided to leave and find another hotel. When leaving the room I realized the extra security lock on the door had been ripped off and not replaced! When leaving the room and waiting for the elevator I decided to ask someone sitting there if their AC worked and the couple looked at each other and laughed saying "Well it didn't on the first day but it is now" - I got the impression they LIVED THERE.

What a joke. Do not waste your time or money. I went next door to the Marriott and it was wonderful and as expected.

Room Tip: Book at the Marriott next door!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Norridge hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I got this hotel because of the price, but we surely should have spent a few extra $$ at a nicer hotel. The hotel itself and our rooms smelled like cigarettes and mildew even though it was a nonsmoking room. There were cigarette burns all over the chair and bed... The outlets didn't work in the bathroom, there was only one light that worked in our rooms... We had to buy air freshner just to bare with the smell. Their website said complimentary breakfast, but they had those packaged chocolate swiss rolls!! Luckily we only had to stay there one night. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed September 2012
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I travelled from the UK for a 10 night stay in Chicago; all of which were spent at this hotel. We paid £200 approx $320 and booked it for this reason and this reason alone. Having read the reviews on here I was more than a little nervous about what to expect upon arrival! However after having now returned home I feel compelled to write a review of our experiences.

This hotel is not suitable for those looking for a luxurious break in the centre of downtown. Nonetheless for those on a budget, willing to sacrifice some time travelling to the inner city and happy to spend the money saved in hotel prices for other things then it is a viable option.

Positives: our room was quiet, cleaned daily, 5 min walk from the Blue Line, near a good supermarket 24 hours, spacious, working TV with a good selection of channels, some genuinely helpful reception staff, a nearbye ice machine and bathroom facilities all in working order, comfortable bed.

Negatives: decor/furnishings run down, air conditioning was more of a fan than AC, 5 min walk to the Blue line requires a near death experience attempting to cross the VERY busy roads!!!!, lack of GOOD restaurants nearby, ie Outback steakhouse, Dimaggios, Hooters, (except for one Thai/Chinese...I think it's called the Blue Elephant WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE)..., breakfast...

If I were going to visit Chicago again and I was on a tight budget I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I travelled here in August 2012 with a friend from austrlaia on our gap year. We stayed in Chicago for a week and were on a tight budget. The price of the hotel was affordable and it was in a good location to public transport (blue line) which was a 5 minute walk down the road and then a 30 minute ride to the city.

The room was a nice size and had two very comfortable beds and Tv That had good channels to choose from. The room was pretty clean and spacious, the bathroom was a little dirty, with previous guests hair in the drain. The toilet was leaking which was a bit annoying considering it left water everywhere! The safe did not work, so there was no where to keep our personal belonging safe. The catch on the door was broken and there where a few stains on the wall. The pool had no water in it And it was summer! The free wifi was only available downstairs, which was a bit of an inconvinious but it was still handy to have access to the Internet. Also, don't waste your time waking up for the free 'breakfast' it consisted of chocolate stale rolls.

The staff were very friendly and were happy to help. If I were in Chicago again and needed a cheap place to stay I would defiantly come back here. My overall experience was very good and I would recommend this place to travelers like myself who just need a comfortable and safe place to sleep that is close and assesable to the city

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were greeted by garbage cans at the entrance overflowing with cigarette butts, leftover fast food and various other slime. The hallways reeked and we had to carefully step through the gum wads on the hall way carpet. Once in our room, we were surrounded by walls with cracks, water stains, peeling wallpaper and the bathroom was full of mold. The beds seemed clean enough, so we stayed since It was late. We got out quickly in the morning. The continental breakfast was a pile of little Debbies with the wax bubbling up from the melting chocolate covered coating.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!