“Best Hotel in Bloomington-Normal!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

You added Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Broadway Avenue, Normal, Bloomington-Normal, IL 61761   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Normal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Best Hotel in Bloomington-Normal!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I just stayed at the Marriott this weekend-- I had such a good experience I wanted to write a review. The hotel is beautiful, updated and clean. The location is great-- you can easily walk to the Amtrak station, and to many restaurants and shopping. The service was excellent (from the housekeepers to the people who worked at the front desk). I travelled there for a conference. I arrived early in the morning and was able to check in at 9:30 a.m.-- this was awesome!!! Great hotel-- will only stay there from now on!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2010
Thank you so much for the outstanding compliments! Our corporate travelers like you are so important to us and I am especially glad they were able to check you in so early in the morning so you could get your day started. Please be sure to ask for me next time you are here so that i may come out and say hello.

Jeff Pritts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

We attended a baseball tournament in Bloomington/Normal this past weekend and the Marriott Hotel offered discounts to the teams, so our team decided to stay here. Let me start out with the fact that the hotel was beautiful and the location was great. The service people were all very friendly and nice. Our only issue was over an incident that occured one night. In the lobby of the hotel there are very large tables and chairs for people to gather. One night we decided to order pizza as a team and gathered in the lobby to eat and we brought our coolers with drinks. Other teams had also eaten in the lobby at another area and they had a cooler as well as groups of people who were in the pool area with coolers and drinks. We were approached by management and told that we had to get rid of our coolers as we could not have any drinks that were not purchased from their lobby bar. It was ok that we were eating food that was not purchased from their restaurant. This was their only issue. Our team had approximately 15 rooms and a few of the families had eaten dinner in the hotel restaurant on the previous night and a few of the adults did gather in the bar and order drinks. It seemed as if they were only upset because we were not spending our money in their lobby bar, which as with all bars, are over priced. We had already as a team spent a great deal of money at their hotel. If they do not want groups staying at their hotel, they should not offer discounts to them.

• Stayed May 2010
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a response to your stay here this last graduation weekend at ISU. We have discussed some of the issues of guest eating and drinking in the lobby and at the pool so that we may come up with a solution that works for all guest. We do not allow coolers in the pool areas ( some guest do not understand that glass bottles and pool decking do not work well with each other ), but we do allow plastic cups with beverages to be taken into the pool. We actually have a sleeve of cups at the bar for guest to put thier own drinks into if they ask. Even though we are a four diamond hotel and you would assume our drinks are expensive, I think if you compare our prices that our drinks are very comparable to every other restaurant and hotel in town. In fact over 80 % of our bottle wine is under $30 a bottle. In the future we will be offering pizza specials on our high transient weekends with two liter soda specials as well to help those large sports groups to feed the masses. Our goal is to abide by our liquor license and our hotel policy with only our drinks in public areas (in rooms are fine for personal drinks) and to offer reasonably priced kid friendly items for the large groups. After all imagine if you walked into McDonalds with a Burger King bag full of Whoppers? It might seem a little out of place. For this reason yes we do like to keep our food in our lobby as it is an extension of our restaurant and lounge and we do serve our food out there.

Thank you again and we will be instituting a more price friendly approach for the large teams so that this becomes a non issue for our guest. In the future we also will be adding some game rooms for specific groups into our existing meeting rooms so that your group will have a place for the kids to spend their time. We purchased a WII after your group had left as a solution to having more for the kids to do.

columbus,oh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I was looking forward to a 4 star hotel experience when I arrived at the Marriott in Normal. I have stayed at quite a few Marriotts. However the expereince at this hotel was more like a 2.75 star hotel. It began with looking for a bellperson when I arrived. The bellperson was out on a shuttle run so I had to be my own bellperson since the front desk said no one was available to help my family unload luggage. So we unloaded the luggage on a cart. Meanwhile the bellperson had arrived from the shuttle run and was watching us with the luggage. After we had moved the luggage to the elevator he asked if we need some help. Well, that would have been great back when we were unloading the car and you were watching us.
Next we arrived to our room. We opened the drapes and had a great view of a giant air conditioner.( We had a normal marriot room rate and I have a certain level with Marriott with a lot of Marriott rewards points. I was hoping I was more deserving of something other than a room with no view). I went to the front desk to discuss this issue. They resolved the issue. Next we went to use the "facilities" in the room. It was not working. Back to the front desk. The Engineering person made 2 trips to fix the facilities after 2 more trips to the front desk.
Next morning we go to Jesse's Grille at 8am. No one there. So we sit down. After several minutes of waiting I went to the kitchen looking for employees. Found them and we were finally served.
We left hotel from 9am-4pm. Returned to hotel. Room was not made up. Another trip tp my favorite front desk and a meeting with the Housekeeping Manager. Finally in the early evening our room was cleaned up.
Attended a banquet sit down dinner there. Nice facility however it seemed they were short staffed. 2 persons did not receive their salads. We had to look for our own water and ice tea. I had to bus our table. I've never done that before.
Next morning I go to the hotel pool around 830am. Pool was a mess with no towels. Back to the front desk I went. They cleaned up the area with 15 minutes.Most full service hotels would not have that problem and most full service hotels clean the common areas in early morning.
The hotel facility was great. Food was good. Employees friendly.However operationally this hotel has some issues for a 4 star hotel. Maybe its lack of employees,cost cutting, or training. If they just watch the details of running a hotel, they will have the hotel running smoothly and deserving of 4 stars.
However 7 trips to a front desk for operational issues and looking for employees in a kitchen for service was interesting. I've never done that before.This is why I think the hotel is slightly less than 3 stars at the moment.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 26, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I am extremely disappointed in how your experience went with us. It sounds like we had service failures on multiple levels. I have already sent this out to my management team for explanations and plans and actions on how we will insure this does not happen again. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

jeff.pritts@jqh.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

I am an Executive Platinum Marriott Member that travels extensively for work both domestic and international - I stay almost exclusively at Marriott Brand Hotels. The Marriott Bloomington is the best Full-Service, Non Resort, Non JW Hotel that I have stayed at in terms of the following: The Building itself is brand new and the construction materials, including room/lobby upgrades are excellent. The location is conveniently located in the middle of ‘Uptown’ Normal, steps from ISU, and a short drive to a major insurance employer located off Veterans Highway. The staff is helpful and courteous, it has a clean and ample workout facility and pool, the amenities (food & service) located in the concierge are excellent. The attention to detail from the Housekeeping needs to be improved but I am very impressed with this facility. When you add the fact that it is located in Bloomington-Normal Illinois of all places, I am truly pleased.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to let others know of your stay with us. I will share these notes with our staff so that we may celebrate the good and address the need areas as well. Our guest feedback is the perfect tool for us to continue to strive towards being a great hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I rated everything EXCELLENT because it is ! The location is excellent being adjacent to the university. Other hotels are located near the highway, blockssss away, not near the university. We were a short distance from The Bone Student Union, able to walk, but the staff offered us a ride, so we took it and chose to tip the driver. The Front Desk staff was helpful and cheerful. The Lobby Bar was nice to have. The Breakfast Buffet offered a variety and all was good. Our beds in our room were plush with large pillows and soft sheets ! How refreshing everything was !! Our Room Rate for a Double was $159, but the extra $40 or so compared to other hotels near the highway was well-WORTH the extra cost. I would definitely stay there again even though it may cost more than the others !!

• Stayed March 2010
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Two sons attend ISU. When we visit we rent the nicest room and our kids join us in the room to watch movies and just be together. We were very disappointed to get all comfy to then find out there is NO pay to view Movie! Just cable T.V.! Bummer! Our evening with the family was a bust in this BEAUTIFUL hotel one would expect everything. We have stayed all over Normal and all the hotels except this one has a movie channel. This hotel cost a lot more too. Won't be able to return as watching movies is what we do in order to bond. This hotel is so lovely with plush bedding... could have been a great evening.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
JeffPritts, General Manager at Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Thank you so much for your review and my sincere apologies for no movie channels. When I opened this hotel I could not believe we would not be getting movie channels. The reason being is that they (OnCommand) refused to install their system because they felt they could not turn a profit because of our size. We are currently working on a deal with RedBox in our hotel to offer movies for the night and the hotel will purchase portable DVD players that can hook directly into the JakPak's in the room. This will enable our guest to watch movies at only a fraction of the cost at other hotels in the area. Please contact me directly next time you are coming down to see your boys and we will arrange for you to be able to see movies in your room. Stayed tuned for some great rates this March and April to.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

My wife and I live in Normal and decided to take an evening by ourselves sans children for a "grown up" outing. We decided to try the new Marriott in Uptown Normal coupled with a nice dinner in the hotel restaurant and a movie, "Sabrina," at the next-door Normal Theater. I have Cerebral Palsy, do not walk or stand, and use a scooter for mobility. In the last few years, nicer hotels have switched to big pillow top beds that are so high in the air my wife has to literally drag me onto the bed. Hotel accessibility has improved everywhere else, but the beds have become impossible for me. (I can't take business trips alone because of this.) We forgot to ask about bed height when we booked our room at the Marriott and when we got to the very nice room, we saw a bed higher than any other we've encountered ever. My wife would not be able to drag me onto this tower of a bed. Crestfallen that our rare romantic evening was not to be, we went to down to the desk to tell them we could not use the room.

After explaining and demonstrating the problem to the desk personnel, they asked the manager on duty to come talk with us. Rachel Immel expressed sympathy, but said all the rooms had those beds. She must've seen how disappointed and frustrated I was at yet another hotel bed I could not use and asked if we could wait a few moments while she checked the room herself. We waited in the beautiful lobby while she sprinted away. A few minutes later, a hotel staffer came to tell us Rachel had said the bed was possibly accessible to me and asked if we wanted to go check it out. We went to the room to ind Rachel and a maintenance man, Rob, and a MUCH LOWER BED! It was only a handful of inches higher than our own bed at home! Rob was holding some risers of about 9 inches each that he had removed and asked if we wanted the frame taken out of it, too! We replied that the bed would be great now and happily agreed to stay. Our "grown up" overnight was saved! Rob and Rachel told us to call if we needed anything and left two happy guests in their room.

We then went to the theater and afterward ate a tasty meal in the Marriott's restaurant. When we got to our room, we found a tray with cheese, crackers, fruits, nuts, and a bottle of champagne! Rachel had written a note explaining the treats were in apology for our distress at our first arrival and in hopes that we would enjoy our stay. We were floored. Every other hotel with these high beds has basically told me, "Sorry, tough luck." Rachel got the bed lowered and then did this to boot!

We only live a few blocks from this Marriott, but we will be back and we will recommend it to everyone we know. There are a couple of minor accessibility improvements the rooms could use and I'd be glad to discuss them with the managers if they're interested (email me at christopher@crazyjester.com). But, awesome job, Marriott! THANK YOU, Rob, Rachel, and the hotel staff!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Thank you both so much for your wonderful review. It is how my staff responds on their own when faced with a situation that I am proudest of. Rob and Rachael will both be rewarded for taking a situation and coming up with a solution and then going above and beyond for your special night. As a parent of two toddlers I know how hard it is to get one night away so I am estatic that they were able to help you on your special evening. We will now be going into all of our accessible rooms and lowering the beds, we will then make sure all of our desk clerks are able to recommend this option if needed. I will contact you directly for more feedback on our ADA rooms as well.

Jeff Pritts

Been to Bloomington - Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!