“Island Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
London
“Island Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

After travelling for 43 hours due to the snow at heathrow it was a very pleasant sight to finally see the beautiful island of Dhonakulhi.

We were met at the jetty by the management team (Susan and Jan) who welcomed us and promptly dealt with the necessities and got us to our wonderful villa as quickly as possible. The Dhonakulhi Residence was fantastic with large rooms and a plunge pool within the large garden which led down to the beach and sea.

Island Hideaway is different to many other islands in that it is quite large and undeveloped, it is difficult for example to walk around the island without swimming at some points due to the amount of vegetation. The villas are also larger and palatial than most resorts with the style being grand rather than flash. The villas are also very secluded from each other and there is a great amount of space which contributes to the feeling of relaxation which is encouraged throughout the resort.

The level of service throughout our stay was exemplary and both Naashid (our butler) and Waheed ( our room attendant) were outstanding and fulfilled our every need. It is the little touches that abound that really make the stay so great which includes the morning coffee and muffin service and the attention to detail that is enacted on a daily basis.

Both restaurants served fantastic food and we were never disappointed by any of our meals and always looked forward to exploring the menus further.

I also went diving with the excellent team at the Meridis Dive Centre and finally (after many years) got to see a Manta Ray close up which was a tremendous experience and the team (both dive and boat) and equipment could not be faulted in their helpfulness and level of assistance.

We also went snorkelling both outside our villa and by the house reef and saw many colourful fish and exotic wildlife including moray, reef sharks, turtles, stingray and from the breakfast restaurant saw manta feeding as they passed through the deep water channel. We were also told that dolphins occaisionally also passed by.

All in all we had a fabulous time however the resort is not cheap and will never be so. We were advised that the plans for additional villas are now on hold as many guests have mentioned that they like the place as it is and would prefer it not spoiled by more villas. Therefore the costs of running the resort have to be covered by the small number of existing villas which may make this more and more exclusive as time goes by. We would love to return one day and look forward to being able (to afford) to.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hsinchu, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I only gave it a 4 because the service is not up to par with Four seasons or Aman resorts. Overall, a great family beach resort and one of the best house reef snorkeling in Maldives. We would recommend it to everyone! We had a great time there! BUT they are building 70+ new water villas (according to the staff, to attract more guests from China) this coming rainy season... so would i go back? hmmm~ I might have to see what people say after the new villas r in...

Room Tip: if you want a beach you can swim in and in walking distance, choose the western side of the island.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
The Hague, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We had a very good holiday on this resort. We came here to relax and especially in the hope to see a lot of all sorts of fish during snorkeling. This was all accomplished. We stayed in a funa pavillion and stepping out of our garden immediately into the sea there were a lot of different species of fish. We enjoyed our stay. The team of the resort (inclusing our butler)did everything possible to make our stay even more relaxing. We certainly keep this resort on our list for a possible next trip to the Maldives.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

How do say that this was the best place ever? I have been to many places with my kids - but this was the very best for us. Boys loved riding the bikes around with out adults - swam where they wanted - the place is really unspoiled - it takes a long time to get there - but it is well worth the effort.
Save your money and spend a holiday there - we had a large family villa - which was awesome - the place is so secluded - you dont even have to see people for days if you dont want to.
My boys keep asking when we will go back - that is something.....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Our 3rd hôtel In Maldives and it was the best....first when you arrive you have a glass of champagne and a complimentary massage for 10 minutes the time you get your keys. Then you meet your butler and you go to your room which are nice.

The reef is beautiful we have seen eagle raie sting raie and a tortutle only doing snorkling!
When you dive you can see raise menta... So beautiful!!

The food is good with the choice with 2 restaurants... I m a fan of sushi and I recommend the discovery Nippon dish at the Asian restaurant.

The service is extraordinaire with dedicated butler!!

I recommend this hotel for couple and family...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

A BEAUTIFUL BALANCE

It took a few months research before I finally made the choice to holiday on Island Hideaway at Dhonakuli in the Maldives, and I’m happy to write that I think I got it just right – a really great balance of a fantasy coral house reef, a comfortable private villa with superior fittings and room service, and delicious food.

When I first contemplated visiting the Maldives for a snorkeling holiday uppermost in my mind was to hone in on an enchanted island with a wonderful coral house reef so each day I could simply pop into the ocean without as – on my previous experiences – setting forth in a boat, hoping the sea would not be too choppy or plankton rich to affect visibility.

I thought I had achieved my objective and was all set to book when I read reviews on my selected island about their accommodation - poor views, insect infested interiors, on top –of- your neighbors- no -privacy villas, poor room service.

Reality check:” Of course I’m not snorkeling 24 hrs a day” So back to the drawing board. This was a tougher call because the financial contrasts were considerable when it came to resorts and their villas. Eventually I decided on Island Hideaway at Donakuli , on the basis of a lot of privacy – (skip around in the altogether) – a larger than normal Maldives island with beautiful vegetation with a calm lagoon side one side , and sea on the other

First impressions once I arrived? ? First off I loved my garden villa , living room bedroom and open air bathroom , porch. My critical eye immediately embraced the thick fluffy abundant bathroom towels, – and - as fabulous - the oversized beach towels, and comfy bathrobes. There were delightful ceramic holders with thick cork tops filled with shampoo and conditioners body lotion and bath salts so no struggles with hard to open teaspoon sized containers ; great pillows on bed , and a note offering others if they didn’t suit personal taste

My room cleaners Ismail and Erif were my two heroes – not just cleaning morning and evening immaculately but keeping each room filled with fresh flowers every day, including popping a hibiscus flower behind the ear of my teddy bear. Was this teddy provided to give this solitary traveler some company? When I left my parting bouquet from Ismail and Erif made me feel I was getting married.

As for food – the Island Hideaway had had interestingly mixed reviews – My taste buds responded positively. Every breakfast – surveying an incredible variety on offer to suit all national tastes I feasted on sushi and sashimi followed by buffalo mozzarella , prosciutto melon and great croissant.

Did I have any negative responses? I didn’t really take to the ‘butler ‘ service provided. Given your own personal ‘butler to attend to all needs , ostensibly gives you the best of service but in reality it imposes a relationship for one or two weeks and that to me is work. There is a palpable anxiety to attend to all your needs from those working on the island – and that for me was enough. .I heard that this service is being rethought for next year. Otherwise I thought did brilliantly in terms of a great holiday and fabulous value for money. Bravo Island Hideaway.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
hong kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We went for this holiday with great expectations ...given that we were going to a an expensive resort ..that too in the Maldives! The Island Hideaway completely lived up to them!
First the Pros: Food is a big factor that decides the success of a holiday..and the chefs did a wonderful job. We are vegetarians; the chef at each restaurant used to make an effort to strum up exotic mouthwatering meals for us. Thanks a lot for that! The Buffet breakfast is one of the best I have ever seen so far...they had a wide exhaustive selection of everything including varieties of honey!!
My husband and I did our Open water PADI certifications with Hiro. We couldn't recommend anyone more..he was very patient and an enthusiastic teacher. And if you dive, the Maldives experience will spoil you...the sea life around was mind blowing!
One of the main reasons we chose Island Hideaway was that it had its own house reef one could swim into from the shore. And it was fantastic! The house reef was colourful,thriving with coral and exotic fish. From our beach chairs outside our villa we could see the sharks swimming around.
Coming to the villas, we stayed at a Rumba villa...spacious ...with a sitting area which was converted to beds for the kids , a utility area and the master bedroom which had views straight to the ocean. Special mention goes to the outdoor bathroom ..it was lovely with its own trees and spacious jacuzzi. Our villa opening to the beach gave us all the privacy..and unlike what someone has written in another review, we had clear access to white sands and pristine water!
And yes, the Kids club was a big hit ..the kids were upto a lot of activities while we were away diving!
The Island Hideaway has a Butler system where they assign a person to take care of all your requirements....i was very impressed with this system...and think it takes hospitality to a completely new level. However here comes the con...the butler is your one point contact with the rest of the resort for anything and everything...and if he is not the enthusiastic sorts, its not all that much fun. We had to coerce him into everything even if it was taking a round of the island. Just to give you an example, we were celebrating my husband's birthday. We finished the dinner and started to move towards our villa when he mentioned in a casual manner that the chef had baked a cake for my husband . He brought it over to the villa later but for all the effort the chef had made in putting together the cake I think bringing it over to our dinner table would have had better impact! This feedback is more for the management of Island Hideaway to consider given that we could gauge that they were particular (and very good )about service standards !
All in all a wonderful experience as my header says..I would highly recommend this resort !

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hideaway Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!