“Very interesting experience” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
panama
“Very interesting experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went to this restaurant in the middle of july 2013, during a trip to Chicago and some business i had in Naperville. I like Japanese food and i am especially very fond of Gyozas. So, I went there for lunch, very few people with one waitress, that struggled to get the few together for the hibachi grill experience. I noticed that the chairs were very greasy in the back and had not been cleaned in ages. So was the rest of the place. Anyway, I ordered some Gyozas and the steak. The menu came with soup and salad. The soup was a joke, basic package broth, the salad was soggy. The Gyozas came deep fried and so crispy, i was afraid i was gonna cut my mouth. Now I have eaten Gyozas all my life and it is nothing really any different from a Chinese dumpling, which it was adapted from. It is pan fried on one side o steamed, and thats it, served with a nice sauce that is a bit sweet. I mention to the waitress that these Gyozas were extremely crappy ones and probably he worst i had eaten ever. I tried to explain that they were cooked wrong, tasted really bland and the sauce was not right either. Here it gets interesting: I was told that is the way they are done in their place. Great, but could you make them right in the future. Nope, because they always fry the crap out of them in that place. Okay....!She goes back to the kitchen and yells to the chef that the guy with the Gyozas probably wanted something else on the menu with a sneer in her voice. She apparently did not care that I over heard this! I loved that, making lousy food and then take the customer for an Idiot and make fun of him. Now the sloppy chef arrives with some really lame jokes about how they make the best food in town. Ever went on a Japanese food web site???? Maybe there would be a chance to learn!! The fried rice was so sweet, i could have been fooled for a dessert. The steak was so, so and was cooked on a low heated flat top. The chef did not want to wait for the proper temperature i guess, as the customer is a fool in that place, who cares. The waitress is now really getting heated up, and i asked her i she had ever been to Japan? She Is not Japanese i was told. Oh, I did not know you had to be Japanese to go to Japan!!//?? I have been to Japan and eaten lots of Japanese food in Japan. I decided not to finish my meal as I am truly not used to be insulted in a restaurant. Well, the waitress was not happy yet and decided to let me know that she did not appreciate my attitude! Attitude, really now......there is really only 2 ways to figure this...one is that they could learn from a customer to better their food, service or anything else that is commented on, and that was really my intention why I let them know firsthand what i thought was wrong on the food, or the chick has two screws loose in the head! I opted for the latter part.One thing was what really i thought was distinct on this place is that the owner was there all the time and never bothered to interfere..... get the picture why the place is empty at 1:15pm on a Friday!!! I read some of the comments about this restaurant and have come to believe that in order to like this grease joint, how the rest of the restaurants must be like in the neighborhood. It must be scary...!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

41% Recommend
Naperville, Illinois
“Minimal food for the money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have been to hibachi grills before, but I would say that Shogun was one of my least favorites. I got the steak hibachi. It comes with soup, salad, vegetables, rice, and noodles. The soup was nothing special, it was basically broth. No mushrooms or anything in it. The salad wasn't that great either. The ginger dressing had a weird taste to it, unlike normal ginger dressings at other hibachi grills. Our hibachi chef came to the grill, but seemed very unmotivated to make it an experience. The amount of food brought to us was minimal to say the least. I've been to other hibachis where pounds of noodles, rice, and veggies were prepared (it was like paying for two meals and it was the same price!). However, I finished everything at Shogun and had no left overs to bring home. In part, that was because I found the steak to be chewy and fatty. I couldn't even finish it. I probably won't be back to this hibachi grill anytime soon. The hostess and wait staff were very nice, but there are so many other hibachis to try in the area.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Montgomery
“This is a great place for Hibachi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had steak and sushi and the family had teriyaki chicken. The chef was fun and cooked the food just right! Tried the Shogun shrimp challenge!

Went on a Thursday night and the place was not over busy.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Naperville, IL
“Won't Be Back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went there for the first time with 2 other couples 2 days ago. Very unlikely that we will go back. Interior is very dated. The first thing I noticed upon walking in was the greasy smell, which I could deal with, but is still a negative. Our cook was very entertaining; 4 stars for him. Soup was fine. The salad another reviewer raved about was pretty low quality. Veggies and noodles were pretty good, as were the shrimp. My sirloin was pretty chewy and my wife really did not like her salmon. We will try the nearby Kiku, which friends have recommended, next time we have a taste for hibachi, but this place is off of our list. Sorry Shogun.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Winfield, Illinois
“Almost hate telling people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

What an amazing place to eat and enjoy! People are wonderful, food is super fantastic!! Never a huge crowd, always fun cooks! I am addicted to this place! Thank you Sang (I believe that was our servers name) you made our dinner so entertaining!! Brought friends here for their first time, they loved it! Not just seafood, they have steak and chicken also. Something for everyone! I suggest the lobster with the garlic seasoning! Yum! There is so much food so go hungry! If your like me the leftovers will last for 3 more meals for you! Can't wait for our next visit!

• Visited December 2012