“One of the best of the few good ones in town.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #125 of 386 Restaurants in Naperville
Cuisines: Japanese
Chicago
“One of the best of the few good ones in town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011 via mobile

Although I'm a western guy, my wife is Chinese so I feel I have some good credentials in writing a short review of this restaurant. Although Raku is called Sushi and indeed does a great job with Japanese cuisine, they recently expanded into Chinese cuisine and here they really shine.
The owner is a native of the Cantonese part of China and the new Chinese menu reflects his roots in unique selections not found in other local Chinese places. The restaurant is divided so that Chinese patron groups can have the large round tables they prefer.
Among outstanding dishes are the salt and pepper fish, squid or shrimp. The shrimp are served heads on. Yummy! Eggplant is great as is my wife's fave, the mushroom and Japanese tofu. This tofu is creamy and much better than what is served elsewhere.
Being able to have Chinese and Japanese food in the same meal is a nice feature. Tsingtao or Sapporo beer? Your call. BTW, the owners are omnipresent in the dining room and service is friendly and efficient.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Holland, MI
“Best ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Lets start off by saying that I've been to sushi places in Manhattan, Chicago and other major cities always looking for that one sushi place that will leave everlasting memories. As God would have it we had to go to Naperville (we are from Michigan) and after reading some reviews on different restaurants we decided to eat at Raku. Lets strat off by saying that the outside was not impressive at all, its next to a fast food restaurant and we were the only car there at first. Hesitantly we came inside after verifying they were open. We walked in with our Joy Yee shakes (had to go there first!) and the owner greeted us warmly saying that it was more than ok to bring the shakes in. He did say that Raku had "better shakes" :) We ate appetizers, sushi and even had a shake there. It was the best food ever! The quality and flavor were perfect, the ambiance was great and the staff never looked at my two rambunctious little ones with anything than kindness and a smile. Our table was next to the beautiful salt water tank and a nice coincidence was that they even played my girlfriend's favorite Japanese song. By the time we were done eating many people had come in and the place was hopping yet the owner herself continued taking care of us. Overall a great experience and would eat at Raku everyday if I could.

• Visited June 2011