“Nice hotel, BUT...” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice hotel, BUT...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This hotel is crisp, new, modern, and overall very enjoyable. But there were a few issues that kept it from being entirely enjoyable.

First and foremost, the fitness room. I went down both mornings of my stay, at 6:30 am. The fitness room is actually not part of the hotel property. So there are training sessions happening in there. The personal trainers are loud, rude, obnoxious... The satanic, metallic, LOUD music requires earplugs. Complaints to the trainers elicit blank stares. (i.e. they don't give a damn) The trainees are grunting, screaming, dancing, singing... It's like a 70's rock concert in there.

The other issue is hot water. When you want to take a shower, plan on turning on the hot water at least 5 minutes prior to shower time. Because that's how long it takes for hot water to reach your room.

The irons don't work. They are the cheapest things ever. I requested that another be brought to the room, and it was as bad as the first one. They both dripped water all over my dress pants that I was wearing for a meeting, and left spots on the legs. If you are going to stay at this hotel, iron everything before arrival.

Again, the rooms are nice, and the location is convenient next to the Interstate. But if you want to use the fitness room, or iron any clothes, or take a hot shower, just beware of these issues. They are annoying, and may make me think twice about staying here again. Certainly way below the standards that this hotel is trying to create.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
JeffBrownGM, General Manager at Hotel Arista at CityGate Centre, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
I greatly appreciate your feedback from your stay with us, and I am not pleased to hear that you had multiple issues during your stay. I can assure you that five minutes for hot water is very much out of the ordinary at Hotel Arista, and I apologize sincerely that you had to experience that. I have personally followed up on all of the issues that you experienced to make sure that no future guests will have similar issues. Again, I sincerely apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay, and if you would like to discuss them further, please feel free to contact me directly. You are correct that the issues you encountered are below the standards at Hotel Arista, and I can assure you that these issues are not regular occurrences. I apologize that you were unable to experience the effortless luxury that is the norm at Hotel Arista, and should you choose to stay with us again I can assure you that we will go to every length to ensure your stay is flawless. Please accept my sincere apologies, and thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Rockford, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and I have spent two weekends at the Hotel Arista and have found it to be elegant and comfortable. The rooms are decorated well and the amenities are priceless. Staff is well informed and courteous. A trip into Naperville is romantic and fun. And when you return, the bed is heavenly! We also utilized the spa for a couples massage and were greatly pleased with the services.

Room Tip: Any room is great.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Hotel Arista. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with myself and others, and I am elated to hear that you and your wife have enjoyed your past stays. We will continue to improve our amenities and services, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thanks again!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Hubby and I wanted to watch the Oscar Ceremony in style this year so we booked an overnight stay at the Hotel Arista in Naperville. The hotel has a very snazzy website with great room photos and a spa so that was good enough to entice us out of the house in the snow.

Right from the reservation I made with a super friendly, knowledgeable and fun reservation agent (who really was spectacular), and the amiable greeting of the valet and front desk, it felt like a friendly place for the most part. Now before I go on with some nit picky details, I want to say up front that Hubby and I had a good time and will probably return and recommend it to our friends. The spa and fashionable room décor is worth repeated visits!

Room service guy was gruff (and their practice of adding 20% tip and then leaving a tip line blank should have made him happy -- we mistakenly ended up tipping him $30 on two deliveries!) Their in house restaurant is called Sugar Toad (apparently after a fish?). Sugar Toad staff were definitely not having a good day. You could tell they were miserable and that it was very difficult for them to muster a smile, so who knows what was going on there when we showed up. Service was just sort of take your order, bring your food and bring the bill. We ended up greeting guests from our table as they arrived and saying "they'll be right out", etc. Too funny! People left after waiting a while. The Sugar Toad restaurant was bleak and the tables were overused and really need a resanding/restaining. Their idea of décor was Guinness beer glasses on the table and a framed Guinness beer ad – oh well, it was around St. Pat’s day, I guess. Service was terrible. It took 30 minutes for my husband to get the specialty mimosa they suggested to go with brunch and by that time we were done eating. They could use a couple of paintings in that restaurant and someone to dress the top of the serving station (not just with some poor little blowfish sitting next to three chunks of salt and a completely incongruous ugly venetian glass uglyfish. I get the design scheme but that restaurant was completely lifeless and dull looking compared to the rest of the hotel. But on the good side, we both had a “bento box” bunch plate which had the most delicious duck sausage I ever had (okay I’ve never had duck sausage before but this was incredibly good). The “box” (actually a neat four compartment plate) also had blueberry pancakes (one was totally burnt but the other was pretty good), a neat little individual omlette with some snazzy chutney on top and a frozen, chocolate covered banana – I kid you not. Haha, it was a different treat and although it wasn’t all super delicious was different enough that we were just happy trying it.

We went to watch the Oscars on a nice big screen in-room tv. The TV in the room was very nice but they also had one in the mirror in the bathroom. A neat novelty but unwatchable in our room because it had broken speakers which caused so much distortion it was impossible to watch. We asked the front desk to fix and they said they would send a mechanic up while we were at the spa but it was exactly the same when we returned so I doubt anyone came up. We also felt the price versus the amount of food received on the room service snack menu was absolutely terrible. We ordered 2 orders of popcorn and 1 of chips, 2 waters and 2 ginger ales and the total was like $47. The chips were two of the bags you get at Costco in a pack of like 24 for 8 bucks and the "two orders of popcorn" consisted of the same volume of popcorn you’d find in the contents of a bag of microwave popcorn. Considering we spent over $600 on our overnight stay (with spa, restaurant eating and room service) that really felt like a complete rip off.

The spa was one of the nicest spas we’ve ever been in. Their waiting/relaxation room was off the charts with a huge fireplace, lovely chaise lounges, cucumber and orange water, dried fruits, yogurt covered raisins, and a relaxing floor to ceiling fountain. Hubby and I just wanted to stay there all day! Changing rooms were gorgeous and nicely decorated and because the hotel is owned by a Greek family, there were nice blown up photos of Greece scattered throughout the changing area. A whimsical touch was the painting in the relaxation room. A tourist falling in love with a Grecian Caryatid (that’s one of those columns made to resemble a goddess). What made it whimsical to us was that at the feet of the statue, the tourist had put down his can of Coke (so I guess Belushi was right, it’s always “No pepsi, Coke!” haha).

The couples massage room was gorgeous with twin whirlpool tubs. It was really a great experience and the day we were there, the spa had a special where they allowed us to pick out scents we liked and they custom mixed us the massage oil. When the massage was over, we were given the remaining oil in a bottle with the recipe in case we wanted to recreate it at a later date. Very nice!

The hotel is beautiful and stylish, if a little worn in places and the spa was the best part of the experience. We will probably return because of the spa facilities and the room was very nice. We looked around on tripadvisor at other hotels before booking and the Arista seemed head and shoulders above the others. Hope this helps!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your in-depth feedback regarding your experiences during your stay with us. I greatly appreciate all of your feedback, and I can assure you that your feedback is of the utmost importance. I have personally followed up on multiple items that you have mentioned to ensure that our future guests do not have similar feelings towards Sugartoad, In Room Dining, or our Nosh Menus. I also appreciate your positive feedback on many aspects of the service you received, and especially your wonderful feedback of Arista Spa and Salon. The Spa and Salon have been a wonderful addition to Hotel Arista, and to the CityGate Centre campus. I hope that we will have the pleasure of accommodating you again in the future, and I hope that all of your future stays will be effortless. Thank you once again!
Geneva, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I are lucky enough to have grandma available to watch the kids every once in a while on the weekends, and when we do, we try and stay somewhere nice in the western/northern suburbs of Chicago. We've stayed at several places, and this is definitely at the top of our list.

The staff, from check-in, until departure, was probably the friendliest I've ever dealt with.

We loved the decor of our room... contemporary, yet comfortable. The bathroom is amazing, comprised mostly of frosted glass and white granite, with a separate toilet area, shower, a bathtub and of course the infamous TV in the mirror. Even the hallways are cool, with square LED lights toward the bottom of the walls to help light the way. When your elevator door opens on your floor, you are greeted with a setup of ice water with lemons. Just a great touch. It's the little things sometimes, ya know?!

Speaking of little things, after we returned from dinner, there was "turnover" service in our room where the TV was on with a constant video of a fireplace. If that's not your thing, turn one channel down and you get a constant video of a waterfall. Hope you didn't drink too much.

The only thing keeping it from a 5-star rating, is simply the location. It's in a business park. Unless you want to eat and drink in the hotel restaurant (see my other review), there's not much to do within several miles. And the view from our 10 floor room was of.. well, business buildings.

By no means would that make us not stay here again, we understand we are in the western suburbs of Chicago, probably one of the least exciting places to be. The Schaumburg Renaissance is what I'd compare this hotel to the most, and while they do have the advantage of being much closer to many more restaurants and shopping, the style/decor of the rooms and the fantastic staff of this hotel sets this place apart. We'll be back again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking your time to provide your very insightful feedback from your stay. I greatly appreciate all of the wonderful comments regarding our service and our hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, as we are constantly striving to provide our guests with the best accommodations, service, and amenities. I also appreciate your feedback regarding our location, and wanted to provide you with some information that you may find useful in the future. We actually have three restaurants here on our campus; Sugartoad, CityGate Grille, and The Tap In Pub and Carvery. We also have a coffee shop, Lavazza Espression, which offers breakfast and lunch options and a variety of wines in the evenings. Recently, we have also opened Arista Spa and Salon, which offers a multitude of Salon and Spa services in a chic, luxurious setting. We also offer a complimentary shuttle service within 5 miles of the hotel, which can take you to numerous area restaurants and attractions. I hope that you may find some of this information useful for your next visit. We are looking forward to having the opportunity to accommodate you and your wife again in the future, and if I can be of any assistance please contact me directly. Thanks again!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was my third stay at the Hotel Arista over the past year and it finally occurred to me that when a hotel is so good - consistently, I should get back on on track and review it on Tripadvisor after having taken a break for the past while.
This hotel is a great business hotel close to one of the companies that I do business with in Naperville but there are lots of chain hotels close by as well. Even though I could be earning points at the Marriott or Hiltons close by - this hotel always goes far beyond just meeting my expectations and so it earns my business and positive review.

The service is outstanding from the doorman to the reception and check-in counter. Always feel very welcome and believe that they really will do whatever it takes to make my stay great.

The Hotel facilities are modern and very upscale. The rooms are large and wonderful with great beds, quite heating / cooling system, and a whole room lighting system that lets you control everything from the hight table. Bathrooms are large and very modern with great amenities.

The bar and restaurant is comfortable, service is very good, and the food is excellent.

Very hard to find any fault but one thing that is a bit overboard is that they remove all the open soaps from the bathroom every day and replace them all with new ones - not required and definitely not green but at this I'm stretching hard to find a small quibble.

It's not inexpensive but it is definitely worth it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
JeffBrownGM, General Manager at Hotel Arista at CityGate Centre, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
I sincerely thank you for taking your time to provide your outstanding review. I can assure you that we will continue striving to exceed all expectations, and provide you with the best possible service. I did want to let you know that as of January 1st, 2014 Hotel Arista is now a member of the iPrefer Rewards Program; therefore, our guests can now earn points for their stays with us. Your review is an outstanding endorsement of our hotel, and I am truly appreciative that you took the time to share your experience with others. I did also want to point out that any open/unused soap, shampoo, etc. that are removed from our guestrooms are donated to a nearby shelter, so that they can be used by someone in need. Thank you once again for taking your time to share your wonderful review of Hotel Arista, and we hope to see you again very soon!
Knoxville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I took advantage of the Hotels Discounted Weekend rate which made the per night only slightly more $ than the chains all South of I-88. Rebecca S. at the front desk was very helpful (as all staff was) thru the entire process. We arrived very late after North Centrals track meet and late night desk staff wowed my wife and son with their service. Parking is simple, the ground floor deck is mostly shared with other tenants in the building, the hotel was empty, plus I can read signs that say "for hotel guest".
The frosted glass is cool to look at but could create a sleep issue for someone at times. Signage to the coffee shop needs improvement for guest. WSJ on the door in the morning, Naperville paper in the lobby, late check out was available and appreciated by us. The interior is beautiful and is high quality upon close inspection. I hope you find this helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Shawn,

Thank you very much for your very insightful review of your experience with us. I greatly appreciate your wonderful comments regarding our staff, and our service. It is the goal of everyone here at Hotel Arista to always provide our guests with the best possible experience. I am very glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I greatly appreciate your feedback on the frosted glass, and our signage; as we are currently working to improve both of these aspects of our hotel. We will continue to strive to improve every day, and I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to accommodate you and your family again in the future. If I can ever be of assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you!
Brentwood, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Recently stayed for 3 nights and had an on-site meeting during my visit. Very classy accommodations; enjoyed the soap/spa products in the room as well as the comfy bathrobe to use! Also thumbs up to the workout facility and business center, both of which I found to be better than average for this size hotel. All the staff was very friendly and helpful, and enjoyed a great meal at the restaurant, SugarToad.
This is my company's preferred hotel in the Naperville area, and I look forward to future meetings here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We are also looking forward to your future meetings, and greatly appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you. Thank you for your very nice comments about our facilities, and our staff; as it is our goal to provide the best of both to each one of our guests. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I look forward to your next stay. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you!

Been to Hotel Arista at CityGate Centre? Share your experiences!