“Amazing Wedding!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   510 E. IL Route 83, Mundelein, IL 60060 (Formerly Crowne Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mundelein
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Amazing Wedding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I had my wedding here on 3/3/12 and I couldn't have been happier with the service. I was originally looking for some place that was not an outrageous price and the Doubletree was completely affordable. Deborah, the wedding coordinator made some wonderful suggestions from the food to the seating. My family was very impressed with the look of the banquet room and especially the food. Let's be honest that is always a question at a wedding. I was incredibly pleased with our dinner! I was also very happy that they did not charge a cake cutting fee.

We were comped a suite for the night of our wedding, and I can honestly say that I have never stayed somewhere so nice. We also got to have our cocktail hour in the lobby which was a beautiful windowed area with a fireplace and high top tables. If you want your wedding to be individualized without the price tag that is usually associated with that, have it at the Doubletree.

Room Tip: Great, huge pool! Since it's separate from the hotel kids can make a ton of noise and not distu...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mundelein, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We stayed at this property from January 20 thru 24. Part of our experience here stemmed from the fact that we were stuck in a Chicago blizzard so we were forced to stay inside the property more than one normally would and that was NOT a good thing.

The whole hotel (with the exception of the restaurant/bar) is done in Mission-style with original woodwork and Craftsman furnishings. I happen to be a fan and it really is pretty. And, the beds were very good - not awesome but very good. Better than normal hotel beds but not Heavenly Beds by Westin. Our room had a huge flat panel TV which was nice but, alas, that great TV was new and not compatible with the hotel pay-per-view movie services which would have been darn nice in a blizzard. The check-in clerk on the evening of our arrival was quite helpful and very pleasant (though most of the rest of the staff we encountered ranged from ambilavent to slightly nasty - not what you typically encounter in this normally-friendly part of the planet).

The rooms were fine but the bathrooms needed work. In our room, it was apparent that the whole shower had been "reglazed" and the covering material was peeling from the walls. The fixtures were old, but adequate. Carpets had definitely seen better days ... our socks got dirty walking on those.

The location is not great as nothing is withing walking distance and that is unfortunate because the restaurant in this hotel is truly terrible. It is a Japanese restaurant and it smells horribly like stale grease. Everywhere in the restaurant is just plain stinky. We had no choice but to eat breakfast in this restaurant. We were supposed to have a buffet breakfast included daily but it was operatioal only one of the three days we were there. The other days they provided a breakfast entree from the menu as replacement and that was fine but for the smell one had to endure whilst eating. Restaurant staff was really not good ... we were always the only ones in the restaurant but we definitely felt like we were an inconvenience to those working there.

The bar is also kinda strange ... some odd gray matter on the walls and just a strange, rather than relazing/cozy, vibe to it. And, that too was unfortunate because the bar would have helped pass the snowed-in hours.

The indoor pool area was nice and the fitness center was actually quite good.

We tried to get recommendations on restaurants nearby from a clerk at the front desk one evening. It was snowing terribly so we didn't want to drive around searching but we needed to get out for a meal in a place that didn't have the rancid smell. The desk clerk that evening handed us a printed list of restaurants which had no detail about how far they were, what they offered ... and that clerk could/would offer not one single hint of help. Just said he had no idea. Next day, we find several lovely eateries within a mile or two (try the Park Street Fine Dining restaurant in Mundelein, just 2 miles down the road) and a huge, awesome seafood restaurant, can't recall the name, just two blocks away - you can even see the sign in the distance from tne restaurant if you knew what you were looking at) so there is absolutely no way this person didn't know about at least a few of these places.

One of the most important things to me in a hotel is to have central, rather than window/wall, AC/heat. This one "sort of" does ... the unit is operated via thermostadt on the wall but the blower unit iat the window ... just encased in a pretty wooden cover. This means that the blower is loud and runs pretty much constantly ... though it did not rattle or shake as some can.

This is a popular hotel for meetings/banquets, etc. so you can expect to have some congestion and noise from some of those events. No problems for us, though, as our room was well away from the activities.

Overall, had we been simply looking for a place to sleep and nothing more, this would have been adequate but my husband, who travels to this area often, prefers the Indigo hotel nearby (there aren't too many right in this area).

Happy Travels!

Room Tip: ask for a room far, far from the lobby- extra walking pays off. also, ask if there are sports leagu...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Susquehanna Valley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband was in Illinois on business and I joined him for two evenings for some couple time. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. It was very quiet and had comfortable beds.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
seattle, wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

The title of my review isn't meant to be snarky, but I have to say that when I arrived at the hotel in the evening (it was dark), it didn't look that inviting from the outside - the parking lot seemed empty, the exterior a little tired, and I was expecting a sort of rundown interior and outdated rooms. I was very pleasantly surprised to find unique decor, nice design, and very comfortable accommodations! The rooms seem to have been recently updated - the bed was very comfortable, loved the nice soft plush robes, and room service was efficient and reasonably priced. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We recently stayed at this property with 2 adjoining rooms. Comfy beds, refrigerators in the rooms and friendly staff. The kids enjoyed the huge pool, which was toasty warm. Doorbells with the rooms and a courtyard view were pleasant surprises. Close everything, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We had a great stay at this recently renovated property. It is not a new hotel but probably taken over and improved by DoubleTree recently. Great beds. They have a large pool and they are well located. Staff was very friendly. We will come back and highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Doubletree is always a nice stay and I have stayed at many. This was no exception. Wednesday evening they had wine and cheese for the guests which is something I don't think I've experienced at other Doubletree's. It was a welcoming touch. My room was nice but didn't have any drawers to put clothes in. I heard they were remodeling some rooms so I guess they started mine by taking out the dresser. It didn't bother me much because otherwise the room was excellent...love the bed, bathroom and amenities. I also had a refrigerator which I always appreciate for my left-overs (that I rarely eat) but I like the option.
The food at this hotel is above any hotel restaurant I've ever eaten in. It's Asian inspired but not typical Asian American. First night I had their Asian BBQ Salmon with forbidden rice. This was so delicious I decided to have all my evening meals here and I was not disappointed.
The housekeepers did a great job and as at all Doubletree's the front desk was outstanding.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Libertyville - Mundelein? Share your experiences!