“Best Korean Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Korean
Palatine, Illinois
“Best Korean Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Everything I tried was excellent. Make sure you have the full experience and use the barbeque grill for your meal.

Visited January 2014

Illinois
“We eat here when we fly from O'Hare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

For many years we have eaten at Chungkiwa prior to a flight from O'Hare. I'm thinking we first went there 15 years ago when we lived in the area. For 2 adults and one child we always get the bul go ki, a seafood pancake (not sure what it's called) and another meat to barbecue. We always have far too much food. It comes with soup and a number of sides. I like the bean sprouts the best. Our 6 yo likes the fish cakes. All the sides are good. The staff always brings our little girl chopsticks with a rubber band so she can try them. The decor is basic and a little odd, certainly nothing fancy. Good value.

I'd assume this is South Korean food but it reminded me of dining in North Korea. Very simple but tasty.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
River Forest, Illoinois
“Wonderful Korean Cuisine in Chicago's North Suburbs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Chungkiwa looks like a typical shopping mall restaurant, but in fact it is much better than the norm. It is an authentic Korean restaurant, with Barbeque items, noodle dishes, and casseroles. The menu is very large, with a wide range that should suit almost everyone. My wife had the spicy pork barbeque, I had the standard beef barbeque, both were delicious. They give you plenty of lettuce leaves in which to wrap the barbeque, and plenty of condiments to add. The service is excellent - the waiter noted that I was wearing a suit, and suggested that instead of barbecuing at the table, where I might ruin the suit, they could do the cooking in the kitchen. I was impressed. The quality of everything was top drawer - I think this is one of the real hidden treasures in the north suburbs of Chicago, and frankly one of the best Korean restaurants in the Chicago area.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Roselle, Illinois
“By far one of my favorite Korean places”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Chungkiwa has the best dolsot (hot pot) bi bim bop ever! I have been to many Korean restaurants in Chicago and New York, and this is definitely my all time favorite. They have been consistent with the food everytime. Of course, the bulgogi is excellent here but bulgogi is a tough dish to mess up.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“My favorite restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

I live in the area, and this is my favorite restaurant ever! I've been going here for 18 years and never had a bad experience. Excellent food, excellent service.