“Poor service and my order wasn't correct” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Poor service and my order wasn't correct”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I was checking to see if a new movie was at Randhurst but it wasn't so my boyfriend and I decided to have dinner while there. We tried the Black Finn for the first time last night. Just to clarify I wait tables myself for a living so am prepared to cut some slack for a server who is busy. We were sat and were looking at the menus for at least five minutes (our server was busy taking an order). So a man came over and took our drink order. Our server did come over and asked to take our dinner order but we hadn't decided what we wanted yet. We did eventually place our order.
I had ordered the Bourbon Burger which was supposed to be blackened, with garlic cream cheese, parmesan dressing, grilled onions, red onions, lettuce and tomato. I also ordered the Black Finn salad as an appetizer. My boyfriend ordered the jambalaya extra spicy with jalapeno's added. After receiving our food and it was somewhat of a wait. My burger was supposed to be medium (it was medium rare) it was also missing the parmesan dressing and the grilled onions nor did it appear or taste blackened. My salad came with the entrée with 2 olives, 3 pine nuts, 2 cherry tomatoes, 3 strips of parmesan (not shredded) and very little dressing. The salad was the first disappointment! It is $5.99 for this small salad. I think it was very chintzy not to mention our server brought it with my entrée! My burger was undercooked, and missing ingredients at $11.99 a pop it shouldn't be missing anything!!! My boyfriends dinner was perfect and he enjoyed it! I was also missing condiments for the burger so had to wait for our server to come and ask about our meal before I could eat it. I did take note that our server didn't run any of the food an expeditor did that for her so I am not sure what the problem was with the service. It was several minutes after receiving the food that she finally made her way over. We were drinking Orange soda. My boyfriend was asked if he wanted a refill but my glass was not replenished nor did I have any water. After receiving my condiments we were NOT checked on to find out how the food was so I couldn't even ask for my missing ingredients or a new drink. The check was presented to my boyfriend not me but I was the one paying the bill. Normally I love to be generous and leave a 30 to 40 percent tip but not in this case. I didn't stiff nor did I leave 10 percent but I did leave exactly 18 percent so she wouldn't be screwed on the tip out at the end of the night. I know there are others being tipped out here too. Over all my boyfriend had a great dinner but my experience was negative and I will not be back nor will I recommend it to others. Good luck on your visit and may you not have the same server we did!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chicago,Illinois
“Great Meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Accross the street from the theater, this is a very good choice for before/after a movie. Friendly and personable staff makes this restaurant one of the best in the area.

• Visited February 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Great food at the Black Fin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and me recently went to Vancouver Island and although we had great food my favourite meal was at the Black Fin in Comox. We had to catch a plane so they got our meals out fast. My wife had the blackened salmon and I had the Pubhouse sandwich. It's basically a clubhouse but instead of chicken or turkey they have this mixture of crab and shrimp. I can only describe it was pure heaven. It came highly recommended. Btw, we met three other couples at the airport who went there before our flight, everyone had something different and they all loved it. And the view of the harbour was gorgeous.

• Visited February 2014
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

While staying in the area, we dined at the Black Finn.

The food and service were very good. Nothing outstanding, but very good.

Visited August 2013
“Good food good variety great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We ate just last night at Black Finns in Randhurst Village. It was new within walking distance from the new Hampton Inn & Suites in Mtt Prospect Illinois. The four of us each had something different and we all enjoyed our meals. Portions were very nice and flavor excellent. The artichoke and spinach dip was exceptional appetizer. Their selection of wine and beers on tap were numerous. The left hand stout was exceptional. Our second time and second great experience.

• Visited August 2013