“Worth the Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Mount Morris
Austin, Texas
“Worth the Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Great little cabins in a beautiful setting. Quiet, comfortable, and reasonably priced. Nicely maintained facility with courteous staff. A bit off the beaten path, but a nice deviation nonetheless. We just sort of happened by on our way to the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa, which only added to the whole road trip experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

My family was seeking a little getaway in the country to bond together after a challenging few months of personal strife. My dad remembered visiting White Pines Inn more than 20 years ago. Happy memories for him and my mom and, based on his suggestion, I checked out the White Pines Inn website and booked the Whispering Pine Cabin. I chose this cabin because it was big enough to accommodate all 10 of us and we wanted to stay together. On a very hot July morning, we packed up two cars and headed to Oregon, IL. So here's the thing, I knew this cabin wasn't going to be deluxe and I was prepared for rustic but I wasn't prepared for...mice. Ugh!! This place was crawling with them, literally. The kids noted the not-so-well-hidden mouse traps right after we walked into our humble vacation home, but I chose to believe they didn't mean anything. We didn't linger in the cabin that first day. We dropped our belongings and left to explore. It wasn't until we returned that evening and the lights went out that reality hit. My father got up to use the bathroom and not-so-quietly called out to my mom, "There's a mouse in our room! There he goes!" And, with that call of alarm, the whole cabin was awake and the kids were on alert to see what else was scurrying through the rooms. There was plenty to see. A grey one with big ears. A black one that's huge. A tiny one with a long tail. For a mouse-phob like me, this was a nightmare. I didn't sleep a wink that night and neither did my two sisters. The mice didn't ruin our trip but I would never, ever choose to stay here again. Even if this place wasn't a favorite destination for little furry creatures, it just wasn't very nice. "Kind of gross" is what the kids called it. Though the kids (all boys) still laugh and share fond memories of seeing their mothers and aunts screaming and leaping on furniture to escape the cabin's tiny intruders.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon White Pines Forest State Park in the autumn when we decided to "just drive west" from Chicago to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city for the day. After a short walk around in the pine scented air, we were hooked. So, when we were looking for a mini retreat in early spring, we knew where to go.

Unfortunately, because we booked last minute, they were out of singles, so we were in one of the adjoining cabins. With the A/C, the gas fireplace (whoosh!) and music playing lightly, we were able to feel some semblance of privacy from our neighbor who was watching television at a low, considerate volume next door. These adjoining cabins are like being in the same house with another guest on the other side of the door--fine for families sharing, but less desirable for couples wanting some privacy. All that said: we'll book earlier for a single next time!

The Sunday morning buffet was abundant and delicious. I definitely suggest making a reservation and checking their website for a coupon.

Oregon, IL is nearby, and I recommend Conover Square (in the old piano factory building) for shopping.

We're getting ready to book another mini-retreat at White Pines, and we can't wait! Ahhhh....

Room Tip: If you're looking for privacy, book a single cabin! Don't forget to book the breakfast buffe...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Stayed in Cabin 26, one of the “sweetheart” cabins Easter weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Let me note if you are confused by the number of the cabin because all literature states White Pines has 25 cabins, the Park skipped lucky number 13, hence we technically stayed in their 25th cabin. There are two sweetheart cabins (25 and 26) and although most information about the sweetheart cabins lead you to believe they are larger than the other 23 cabins, all in fact the same size with regards to interior space. The only difference in physical space is they add a love seat to sweetheart cabins (see photos) which for us was a nice addition to sit comfortably by the fireplace. And if you have not been to White Pines, their website map of the cabin locations is a bit deceiving as Cabin 26 appears to be more secluded from the rest, when in reality it could be renamed Cabin 1 since it is the most visible to traffic and visitors of all cabins. It is also the cabin located right behind their visitor “photography” sign. The cabin is what is to be expected of those built in the C.C.C. era with being rustic, but warm and charming. The bathroom was a nice size with hand made soap which could be used as shampoo too. Small refrigerator and coffee pot was a nice addition and if you need ice a bucket is supplied which you can have filled at White Pines Inn anytime the restaurant is open (with a friendly smile may I add).

Ahha to White Pines Inn, ate there Easter morning and the breakfast was terrific; clearly you can tell the baked goodies were homemade and the breakfasts meats were plentiful and delicious. A hike after breakfast was a must for sure!

White Pines Cabins are a nice option to camping fall through spring when you can take advantage of the gas fireplace and the comforts of the indoors. If I returned to the cabins I would probably opt for #22-25 as they are spread out a little more and have a nice interior view of the campfire rings and a bit more privacy from the many visitors to White Pines Inn.

Only negative of the area as stated by others is the railroad tracks which run along the north end of the park; although not a big issue in a cabin I can understand how the continual horn blowing at night can be troublesome to sleep in the campground.

Room Tip: Cabins #22-25 seem to offer the best cabin experience for a couple.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

My husband and I have come here many, many times over the years. This is our favorite little getaway. We feel like we've stepped back in time, and can leave all our cares behind for a few days. The food at the restaurant is amazing - this is one of the main draws for us. If you can go during the week, they have a special where if you stay Sun and Mon nights, Tues night is free. That's what we usually do.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Plainfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

Great get away for the couples and families alike. Smaller rooms are quaint and romantic. Larger rooms cover the essentials of those with kids. Beautiful place, great scenery, awesome food at the restaurant, and incredible people serving you with small town charm.

• Stayed July 2010
ILLINOIS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Nice little get away and not a long drive for us - three nights was a nice amount to stay - Here are our pros/cons... girls enjoyed fishing although not much was caught (and not for lack of trying!). Trails were fun, although a bit steep and narrow at times for young ones (these marked medium for difficulty). Kids always love driving thru the fords too - just we did as kids!! Had to get used to some spiders and beetles in the room, but it comes with the nature of where you are staying! Our only complaint would be the housekeeping - floors were VERY dirty and even the girls noticed this right away, and we were never brought more shampoo or lotion in the three nights we stayed. (We always bring our own just in case, but we had used what was there first). We went into Dixon for some meals out, so we didn't try the restaurant and we chose to pick up a pizza one night as the delivery charge was pricey for a 4 mile drive ($5 delivery!). Kids love the parrot in the gift shop!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to White Pines Inn? Share your experiences!