“not great” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Morris
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

stayed at motel as part of road trip from LA to NYC
just off the interstate, so very convinent
appears to be undergoing remodelling
no work was happening though during stay
swift checkin
old style decor in room.
noisey fridge.
clean-ish room, although it didnt appear to have been vacummed recently
good range of tv channels
shower pressure was not great.
ok breakfast, cerals, toast, coffee, juice.
wasnt overly impressed with the property

• Liked — next to interstate
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

We just returned from our stay at this Super 8 and we will never stay there again. First of all, I want to say that we are not picky people with unrealistic expectations, we knew this was a budget motel. However, the room we stayed in smelled so bad that upon coming home the odor remained on us and we had to wash all of our clothes-- even the ones we did not unpack. The whole place could use a good cleaning. But the worst part of the weekend was a young woman who was working the desk. Every encounter we had with her was unpleasant. She was curt and unsmiling and refused to accomodate any request we had.

The morning we were leaving we asked her for one extra hour to check out (at noon rather than 11:00). In a very rude tone of voice she refused. It would be understandable if the motel was busy, but it was not. When we checked out my husband tossed the room key card on the desk in front of me (I swear, he just tossed it). Then, after we asked her for the manager's contact information she accused my husband of throwing the key card at her and said she was going to "make a note of it." I think, of course, that she did this to cover herself (make us appear at fault) since we intended to complain to the manager. She seemed to be a very unhappy young woman, and her attitude soured our weekend.

I recommend spending a little extra money and getting a different hotel if you stay in Morris.

• Liked — We had a bed to sleep in and the roof didn't leak
  • Disliked — Bad customer service and the room smelled bad
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

I went on-line to look for a whirlpool suite for a weekend getaway. I came across the photos of the Jungle Suite and decided it looked nice for the price. Vacationers beware, as this is a false advertisement. The room was filthy, carpet visably not vacummed, the corners had cobwebs and the room smelled worse than my clothes after 2 nights straight of partying in a bar before they went smoke free. I wouldn't have felt comfortable walking in bare feet across the floor as it was that dirty. I asked for a refund within thirty minutes and here's the funny part...I was told I would have to pay a $25.00 cleaning fee. If you are looking for a hotel where you can feel at ease, this is not it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

We were in town for a wedding and unfortunately, we had to stay here because all other hotel rooms in Morris were sold out due to some car show/convention.

The rooms were very dark and smoky, as I don't think there is an option to have a non-smoking room. Maybe some of the other rooms were better but our room was in desperate need of an update and airing out. The decor and furniture was from the 70's and the carpet probably hasn't been updated since.

We only stayed for two nights but our hanging clothes smelled smoky once I got home and unpacked them. I've never had that happen before in all my travels. I joked that we probably got second-hand smoke just from sleeping on the sheets. The carpet is brown and gross and desperately needs replaced. I wore my shoes the whole time I was in the room and kept them next to my bed so I wouldn't have to walk to the bathroom in bare feet.

Also, since our room had a door to the outside, we could hear everything. Both mornings we were "pleasantly" awakened at 6:00am by people revving their loud engines and tuning/fixing their cars for the car show. This went on for about 45 minutes before they left. This is obviously not the hotel's fault, but be prepared that if you are a light sleeper, you will not want to stay here because you can hear everything outside your door.

Overall, if you are just looking for a bed and a bathroom and don't mind a smoky room, this hotel will do. If you are looking for a comfortable, clean room where you're not afraid to walk on the floor without shoes, you should look elsewhere.

• Liked — convenient location to freeway
  • Disliked — Dirty and smoky
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't get a room with a door to the outside.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

The Super 8 in Morris is a fine hotel for the price, and it's an ideal stop if you're traveling I-80. We stayed one night, and it was clean, quiet and incredibly cheap ($50 through Expedia). The room had a fridge and a microwave. Everything worked just fine - the AC, the fridge (did not use the microwave), the shower and the TV. The room and bathroom were spotless, and although the parking lot was nearly full, we didn't hear a sound all night. The mattress felt pretty cheap (it was very "springy"), but again, for one night and that price, it was fine. Also was pleasantly surprised by the continental breakfast - good variety of cereals and breads, and they were all fresh.

One note: The first floor rooms are motel-style, with outside entrances. If you are safety conscious, you may want to request a second-floor room. I couldn't see any reason for concern, though ... the hotel is right in the middle of a nice-looking commercial area that is brightly lit. There's a Pizza Hut right next to the hotel, several fast-food places down the street and a Wal-Mart across the road.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Super 8 Morris? Share your experiences!