“Was really worried...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Monticello
Tennessee
“Was really worried...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

After reading the reviews I was really worried about staying here but since it was the only place with a pool available even close to the area we needed there wasn't much I could do but take it.
We didn't have any problems with the staff during our weekend stay, they were friendly,at check in, our times in and out, and check out. Room did have a slight musky smell when we first opened the door, but after turning air on then going out to dinner didn't notice it again. Room was clean, bathroom door didn't lock but that wasn't a problem for us and I forgot to report it! Beds were made and room cleaned while we were out on Sat. No problem with noise even though there were teen baseball teams staying there. Pool was huge, water cold and clean. Spa/hot tub was out of order but again didn't really bother us, never heard anyone else complain. There were lots of cigarette butts and a few beer cans laying around the deck ground when we checked it out Sunday morning but the parents of the baseball team were out there Sat. night when were at pool and still there when we left so I figure that's where they came from.

Was this the best hotel or cheapest hotel I've stayed at? No! Was it the worst hotel I've stayed at? No! Would I stay again? Yes

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ewing, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel a couple weeks ago and it was one of the best hotels I have stayed at in years! Clean, big pool, and the staff was wonderful. I will always stay at this hotel when I come to the area! Thank you for a remarkable visit!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Paxton, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

The room was NOT at all what I was told it would be, when I complained the staff was rude and wouldn't give me a refund after only being there for minutes!!! They promised me a 20% refund only to get charged $88 more than my oringinal fee!! The staff is completely incompetent and arrogant, avoid this hotel at all costs. Worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Monticello hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I wish I had seen the travel advisor reviews before I booked five rooms for family staying for a funeral. They totally messed up our reservations and blamed Best Western. They simply gave my room away and I had to wait until 10:30 pm when someone failed to show. The desk staff was basically incompetent, and unhelpful and unconcerned about guests. The manager was unwilling to make things right. Despite having reservation numbers the hotel did not honor Best Western guarantee.
The desk staff is basically surly. Shady people were hanging around the hotel parking lot at night. Trash was piled in the hallway and used mattresses were stored in the fire escape areas.
We returned from the funeral at 3pm to find our rooms had not been cleaned. They said the cleaning staff was gone for the day so we demanded that we be changed to another room.
Our initial room also lacked a shower curtain. That was finally corrected.
Never under any circumstances book a room here. You are seriously better off sleeping in your car! there was no apology offered for the dreadful experience so it must be typical for hotel guests.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My family reserved a number of rooms here for the nights before and after my grandmother's funeral. As the service was occurring at a later date, reservations were made a month or more in advance. When we arrived, they were short one room, and it proved nearly impossible to get a room despite our numerous confirmations and other proof. Apparently Best Western corporate frequently fails to provide this hotel with accurate booking information. The desk clerk, Connie, was the most incompetent, unprofessional hotel staff member I have ever seen. There was availability, but Connie would not release another room to us because of its higher rate. She had no idea how to work the reservation system. The manager with whom she spoke (Manisha) instructed her not to give us a room. After 30 minutes at the front desk, and with at least 5 other guests in line waiting to check in, we were finally given a room with one bed instead of two. Upon checking out, we were only credited half the price of one room, and they tried to charge us a higher rate.

--The room smelled like stale feet.
--There were large yellow stains on the bedding, which was not changed during our stay.
--At least one of our rooms received no housekeeping service and when we informed the front desk, they shrugged and told us that the housekeeping staff had left at 3 pm.
--There are mattresses and box springs stored in the stairwells.
--The waffle iron in the breakfast room was absolutely filthy and had likely never been cleaned.
--There were no forks, spoons, or knives to be found at breakfast.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Ida, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I use this hotel on a regular basis when visiting central Illinois. The last visit, for a funeral, booked 5 rooms for a total of 12 room nights. Rooms were (as always) clean. All rooms were no smoking and had no stale smoke odor. The staff, as always, was friendly and helpful. The only down side was that the pool was closed for maintenance the first couple of days of our stay. I have booked close to 50 room nights here over the past three years and have never had a bad experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
St. Louis, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

Had a wedding at Allerton Park and they were booked...

We knew we weren't in for a quality hotel when we saw the flies swarming around the front desk staf. Rooms were icky...this was obviously a smoking hotel where they tried to cover up the stink with carpet deoderizer and spray. For one night, we made it through. Next time I'll sleep on the floor of the Allerton hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Monticello Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!