“Awesome Room - Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 East Front St., Metropolis, IL 62960   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Metropolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, NC
“Awesome Room - Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

After reading some of the reviews on TA, I was concerned about the "switch to the Super 8". It did not happen to me and I was very pleased with the room at Harrahs. Awesome river view, great bed, extremely clean, great bathroom, etc. Comparable to a nice room in Vegas.

Built in cabinets for the TV, clothing, etc. Nice deep bathtub, separate room for the "John".

I was very pleasantly suprised. Everyone I encountered was extremely nice.

Stayed April 2008

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Clayton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

Very impressive for the price per night (during the week at least). Nice rooms, everything was clean and new. Bed was extremely comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurants in casino/hotels were good also. We stayed three nights and would have liked to move in.

• Liked — fabulous room with view of river
  • Disliked — a little out of the way to get to
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

I traveled to Metropolis recently for business and was pleased to come across the Harrah's Hotel. For less than $70/night, I was booked in a surprisingly nice room! The room was clean and new, the fixtures (especially in the bathroom) were way above average, the internet connection was fast, and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in recently. The valet service was fast and friendly (and free for hotel guests). The staff was friendly (although somewhat inexperienced in seemed).

The only problem I encountered was that it was nearly impossible to get a cell signal in the hotel- especially in the room. Also, the dinner room service is not available on Mondays or Tuesdays- somewhat of a problem for the solo business traveler. After reading some of the previous reviews, I was worried about the possible "bait and switch". I called the hotel prior to my arrival and expected them to say that switching never occurred. However, the guy on the phone answered "Oh, the hotel isn't full that night so you don't have to worry about that" . That was good for me- but doesn't say great things about the hotel itself. Apparently, it is a common practice for them to move guests to the neighboring "low- grade" motels when they are busy on weekends and during the holidays. As a previous reviewer suggested- CALL BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME!

The casino itself seemed fine to me. It was much better than I expected from some previous reviews. It's no Vegas, but what do you expect in Metropolis, IL?? It is a nicer casino than those found in other small- medium sized towns like Peoria, IL and Evansville, IN.

• Liked — Great Room- Wonderful Bed
  • Disliked — Lack of cellular service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

We drove 7 hours to get there to find out we were staying at the Super 8. We dont do Super 8's. My reservation was for the Harrahs Hotel. My confirmation says Harrahs hotel, why didnt they tell me I dont gamble enought to stay at their hotel until I arrived? But they let me make the reservation and they let me drive the 7 hours. We left and drove an hour to a decent hotel. Very rude!!! What a joke Frances was, no customer service skills at all. They couldnt have called us to tell us they moved us, do you thing we would of drove 7 hours to stay at a Super 8, What a joke. They wouldn't even get me a phone number for another hotel.

If you go make sure you know where you are staying. Watch out for the Bait & Switch I am hearing more and more about this Harrahs tactic from others.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — VERY RUDE CASINO HOST
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colorado Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

From the moment we pulled up the service was nothing but 5 star and we have stayed at 5 star hotels/resorts previously. Greeted by 4 Valet's and Bell Captain. Front Desk check-in fast and efficient. The Bell Captain, Wade took us up to our room and showed us everthing in the room, explained the hotel services and asked if there was anything else we needed.

Room was spacious, beautiful decor, and a bed that just invited you to have a great nights sleep. Ate at the Buffet, food was excellent, (suggest trying the Burbon Pork Chops if they are available). Again, the staff was helpful and friendly.

Casino was small, but they did have some of the newer machines. Just had to find them. Currently there are 3 levels. Second level has the most slots.

Morning check-out fast. Since we called for the Bell Captain for luggage assistance, they had our car waiting out front. Again it was Wade who assisted us. He loaded our luggage and wished us a great trip.

Even though the property is a bit out of the way, will go back.

• Liked — The bed was heaven
  • Disliked — Could only stay one night
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed here Friday night just as a stopover on the way to somewhere else in Illinois. We arrived at 7:15 and self-parked. Parking is a breeze - our suggestion is to turn left into the parking lot before the hotel. Otherwise, you end up at the front of the hotel and either have to move the car or valet park. Valet is $5 per day - not bad, but it was just as easy to park ourselves.

Check-in was a breeze, no wait and friendly receptionists. We had a luxury room, king bed, non smoking on the 7th floor. Elevators are key access only. Room was nicely furnished with couch, chair, king bed, nice big bathroom w/ separate toilet. Gilbert & Soames amenities.

Ate at the restaurant off the lobby which according to the book in the room was american food. However, after we were seated (our fault for not looking at the menu outside) we realized it was italian. It was so-so and service was a bit strange. Definitely not worth the $85 we paid. Go to the Range steakhouse by the casino for much better food, service & ambiance.

Casino was very smoky (we go to Vegas several times a year and it is NOTHING compared to Harrahs Metopolis). It is also small with old, reject slot machines. We literally walked in and walked out. Never again! It was really rather pathetic seeing the retirement checks being flushed away :(

Overall the hotel is very nice and the service at the front desk and their little shop was outstanding. The beds are wonderful!! Just don't go for the casino.

• Liked — The bed!!
  • Disliked — Casino
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
La Grange, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2007

Beautiful hotel in this little town. Great room with view of river if you get the "front" side rooms. Casino boat is a small one but OK. Restaurant in hotel was very good, the chef came out and checked to see if everything was OK. Prices very reasonable.

• Liked — great room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Harrah's Metropolis Casino? Share your experiences!