“Best Days Inn I have ever been at.” 5 of 5 stars

Days Inn Mattoon
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Broadway Avenue East, Mattoon, IL 61938   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Mattoon
Carlyle, Illinois
“Best Days Inn I have ever been at.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

First off this Days Inn is a sleaper! From the outside looks like normal everyday motel, but on the inside its an eye opener for a motel. The lobby area is very efficiently layed out a with modern furniture and a free computer for the use of patrons. There is an Atrium/Pool area which is clean as a whistle. The indoor pool is huge and the water was sparkling clear and comfortable. Our room was a king non-smoking on the inside part of the hotel near pool. Looks like it had been freshly painted as was the hotel inside. The bed was a pillow top and had 5 huge pillows. Pillows were brand new. Nice shower which was recently renovated and very clean. Room was very clean. Complimentary Breakfast nook right across from us was so/so in selections, but what do you want for complimentary. It was also very clean. The fornt desk staff was very helpful knowledgeable and courteous as was the manager of the hotel. The hotel restaraunt on premises City Scapes was great. Great value, huge menu and very friendly staff with quick service and the meal was good. Its obvious that the restaraunt was a hit with locals too as it was very busy for a motel restaraunt. They also had several daily specials. The staff even switched the TV on the wall so I could watch the NLCS. I paid $59 for this room with AAA discount. Great value not to mention this place is centrally located with a JC Penney, Sears, WAL-MART, ALDI's, Dollar General, 2 Steak houses and every fast food joint known to man close by. It is right off I-57 if you are going to or coming from University of Illinois or Chicago.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
businessedu, Manager at Days Inn Mattoon, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
I would like to take the time to thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. A lot of time and money has been soent on the hotel renovations, and this is just the beginning. I am so glad to hear that you were also impressed by our staff. We pride ourself in giving the best customer service possible. Once again, thank you so much for your review. We hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

my wife and i called early this year , paid in advance, required a non-smoking ground floor room with a exterior door, we were told we would have everything we required. this was three months in advance. we arrived arround one in the afternoon. the clerk tried to make us take a upstairs room,i tried to explain my wife can`t climb stairs, but the young clerk said we had to take what was available, my wife was waiting in the car in 90 degree weather for two hours while i argued that we werepromised certain things. i said i wanted the manager, the clerk called her, it was another 30 minutes before she arrived. she said the motel did not promise certain rooms. she tried to put us in a interior room, it wasn`t acceptable. then she tried putting us in a room on the back side of themotel , my wife couldn`t walk that far, not acceptable, they had empty rooms, they didn`t want us to take them, take want they offered or nothing,after they saw that i wasn`t going to back down they finally got us a room ,that was acceptable. my wife got sick while waiting in the car for three hours.don`t trust this motel. my wife and i are in our sixties, bad treatment for senior citizens.

Room Tip: don`t expect anything from this motel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
businessedu, Manager at Days Inn Mattoon, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
I thank you for your feedback, and I apologize for the issues with your stay. Since your stay, we have gone through some major changes in management. I can assure you that because of the changes that we have made, and issue like your will not happen again.
Please apologize to your wife, as well. I would love nothing more than to make it up to the both of you.

Travelers are raving about these Mattoon hotels

Cooks Mills Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My daughter and her new husband had their reception here and it was fantastic!!! The staff was wonderful. From the guys who set up and cleaned up the room, the bartenders and the manager Kristen. We have had so many comments on how nice everything was. Kristen was awesome from the get go. She helped us decide how to have the room set up and went over every aspect of the contract so we knew what to expect. She kept us informed about meeting our bar limit and asked us if we were ready to shut down the bar once people stopped buying. Kristen and the other bartender were polite, friendly and fun. They both helped clean up after the guests had left. Thanks for everything!!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Days Inn Mattoon, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
First we would like to tell you and your family congrats on the big event in your family. We are very happy that we could accommodate you during this joyous occasion thanks for your comments about Kristen. These comments will be passed on to her. It is always a great feeling when we here great comments!!!

Thanks for your great review. We hope that you will consider us again on future events!!!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Booked a room on Priceline and unfortunately landed at the Days Inn Mattoon. I had my son with me, traveling on business. When we arrived to check in, we were told Priceline had booked us for a room with one full sized bed. This happens often, even though Priceline claims they do not put any room type preference on the reservation. In over 10 years of using Priceline, with an average of 10 stays per month, every other hotel I've stayed at will happily switch room types as long as the requested type is available. NOT the Days Inn Mattoon, IL. I was told in no uncertain terms that switching room types would be impossible without an additional charge. Yes, they had plenty of other room types available (looking at other reviews helps explain why they would might have a high vacancy rate!) but the "computer would not allow the staff to make a change." Knowing that a computer does not dictate policy, I quickly realized that management at the Days Inn Mattoon, IL has an unyielding policy on accommodating its guests. It was very clear that customer service was not an important part of their view of the "hospitality" business, and that they have a very dim view of the public they "serve." I've seen the attitude before and have always wondered why anyone would choose to be in this business while really hating dealing with the public! I've never seen this attitude at a full hotel, only at the ones that seem pretty quiet. Word must spread. I don't even really regret losing my non-refundable cost for the night. I'm convinced, had I stayed, my experience would have gone downhill from there. My only regret is swearing at the front desk drone, who probably hates having to be the bearer of her manager's policy of zero flexibility. I went down the road and had a very pleasant stay at the Super Eight, which was near capacity with smiling, happy guests.

Room Tip: Drive past to another hotel. Should be easy. Days Inn sign is not even lit up. It's hard to f...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
ThehotelguyatCEG, Manager at Days Inn Mattoon, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We do book several guests through our partner Priceline and yours is the first where we had any issues with the upgrade. Based upon your feedback we have determine there was an opportunity to us to relocate the person responsible for checking you in so no future issues should arise. It is our policy to certainly offer the upgrade and we do apologize for the inconvenience. For any future guests who book through that channel we will do all that is necessary to provide you with a room that is comfortable and fits your needs. Thanks for the feedback as it helps us to continue to improve upon our guest satisfaction. Thanks. Allan
Charleston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My husband and I had our wedding reception here, stayed the night, and had out of town guests stay as well. We had a lot of compliments on how nice the hotel is and we can definitley attest to that. The rooms were very clean and the staff was EXCEPTIONAL!! We would HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Carbondale, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I was a part of my brother's wedding and the reception was held here. When the wedding party arrived we waited over 20 minutes for someone to come to the front desk so that we could check in. Most of the wedding party had to leave the recetion at some point and go check in, even though they knew what time we'd be arriving. During the reception, the bartenders were rude, and rolled their eyes at my boyfriend when her nicely asked to add a shot to his order (we are both bartenders so we make it a point to be polite and tip well). At one point, the manager called the bridesmaids up for a round of shots. We asked her what we were doing, and she said she was making something up. We obviously thought the shots would be on the house since she called us up there, but when they were made, she told us "they're $4 a piece" and charged us for them. When the kegs ran out, she told my brother another keg would be $75 (they were supposed to have backups available). He told her he would pay and to go get abnother, and then she told him that it would $175. He said he didn't care, he was going to pay for it and asked her to go get it, and she said "It's 10:00, byt the time we go get it, you won't be able to drink another keg", and refused to go get it. He said fine and asked her to put out bottles of whatever was free so guests would know what was still available and she refused. At one point I ordered two beers and they didn't even open them. There was water dripping We had been warned that outside alcohol was prohibited (even though I had attended a wedding there the year before where the wedding party brought coolers of their own beer into the reception), which I understand. The manager found two outside beer cans, one outside beer bottle, and one outside bottle of liquor, and proceeded to berate my brother (The Groom) and threaten to shut down the party. Even though we offered to do a sweep for outside alcohol, she continued to argue with us, being completely rude and bringing me to tears. The alcohol was brought in by people who were not a part of the wedding party and not even invited. One memeber of the wedding party brought an outside beer in well into the night without thinking and was kicked out without a warning. Eventually the manager shut down the bar with about an hour to go. When the father of the bride went to question her she it was "pretty close to midnight anyway" even though it was before 11. They eventually started threatening to call the cops on people. My brother and his bride went to thier room at the end of the night only to find two people already "enjoying" the room. They had to go down, get another room, and then find it (they did end up getting the room for free). I know this is long, and I never leave reviews because I try to be understing about things, but the attitudes of the workers and manager was terrrible. I WOULD NOT reccomend having your wedding there. The rooms were ok, a place to crash, but I cannot say they were worth the $60 we paid. We've paid less for much nicer places.Despite the attitude and poor customer service, we still had a great time, due to the great guests who attended the wedding. However, I will NEVER support this hotel in the future. Also, it was not very handicap accessible., there is no way to get up to the second floor aside from stairs. *IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE PICTURE POSTED ON THIS SITE*

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ThehotelguyatCEG, Owner at Days Inn Mattoon, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Here is hotel side of the story as to what happened at the Aug 6th Reception

The guests booked 3 halls; 160 guests plus bridal party

2 kegs & 6 cases of wine plus they had an open bar; one keg ran out first then Budweiser (somewhere in the 10 o'clock hour)

The Groom asked how much kegs cost and was told him 175...he then went to his buddies in the hallway where Jill (the wedding planner) was and said hey another keg is only 75 dollars..Jill corrected him and said no they are 175; Groom came back to bar and asked again how much kegs cost and was told again 175. He asked if we could tap another keg and he was told him that we don't have any here on site...he was upset and said we were supposed to have kegs on reserve in case they wanted more beer. He was told him that only 2 kegs were ordered and we would have to go off site to even find another keg...however being that the event was over within an hour and a half and the bar closing at 1145 that getting another keg was not something that could be done. He was offered bottled beer as an alternative.

In the meantime we caught several people with outside alcohol...We confiscated most of it, and found some on tables. When it was brought it to Jill’s attention she said she would help me get rid of it and keep it out. We also warned the mother of the bride and the bridesmaids about outside alcohol on Friday and they understood the rules...they were okay with it and even let the bridal party know about the rules (which is stated in one of the complaints). When the groom came and asked me what the problem was he was informed of the policy and said it needed to stop or be removed/thrown away. Jill took me to the mother who also said it was wedding crashers and there was nothing she could do about it and proceeded to the dance floor. Finally after several cans of beer, Corona bottles, and big 750ml bottles and no help with discarding it or stopping it we closed the bar down between 1125 and 1130...which is only 15-20 min earlier than normal bar closing time of 1145. Music continued and the party lasted until 1200....when the dj stopped more alcohol was brought in and the guests were asked to retire to their rooms as the banquet hall was closing (1215-1230am).

Jill the wedding planner even went up to the DJ and told them to shut it down at 1145...Father of the bride asked us what time they could go to was told 12...and he was fine and the last song was played by midnight.

The next morning the GM received a phone call from Kassie stating the father would like to talk to me. The father asked why the bar was closed early and he was about the alcohol brought into the facility; he then proceeded to tell me that the room that the bride and groom went into had someone else in the room...they went back up to the desk and were given a new room..We apologized for the mix up and provided a free room for the bride and groom....

Considering outside alcohol was brought in illegally we feel that we made every effort to keep the wedding party informed as to the rules and regulations surrounding this party. We wedding planner was great to work with and helped by educating the groom on the agreement that we had and the wedding planner can corroborate the story as to how each of the items occurred.

One final note regarding the room that they walked in on, it was not a couple and it was not a couple in any state of undress; rather one of our National Guard troops that stays with us regularly; it was a single female that was sleeping at the moment that the bride and groom entered. It does not justify us providing the wrong room, however, the real facts of the evening need to be made public.
Carbondale, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Attended a wedding reception and stayed at this hotel. Upon arrival of the wedding party which my gf was a part of, there was no one at the front desk for nearly 30 minutes when a matience guy went and got somebody. The place smells funny but the pool covers it up mostly. The staff was two young women without the slighest sense customer service. Keep in mind we have rented over 10 rooms, the banquet hall,and buying quite a bit of booze and tipping these ladies well. Refused to get us another keg when we had over an hour and half to go and even up the price to discourage us. Just plain lazy! Now I complete admit they warned not to bring in outside alcohol but out of 150 people at a local wedding somebody's bound to brake that rule. 3 people were caught with outside drinks so they shut the bar down at 1030. Power trippers to say the least. More rude exchanges and threats to call the cop's if we didn't go to our rooms. The best is the Bride and Groom after dealing with all this went to their room to find two people having sex in it! they double booked but actually makes for a very humurous story down the road. Rudest people and absolutely no professionalism. They need to get an Adult in there to manage, it could have potential but now they over 150 reviews from last night from their local area that won't be positive. NEVER STAY HERE! by they way I never leave reviews

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Here is hotel side of the story as to what happened at the Aug 6th Reception

The guests booked 3 halls; 160 guests plus bridal party

Been to Days Inn Mattoon? Share your experiences!