“What a great remodel, but...” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Mattoon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mokena, Illinois
“What a great remodel, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was stunned when I walked in after not having been here for a couple years. The remodel is beautiful and really gives the hotel such a wonderful rejuvenation. So much more than simply paint and carpet, they really did a nice job conveying the "Wow" of a boutique hotel.

So many of the details are great: flooring, wall art, flexible reading lamps in bed, granola bars and a small bottle of water along with the peppermints, soft and firm pillows, and multiple textures and pleasant colors.

They only missed one (low-cost) feature, and for me it's a biggie. The shower head is from the 1970's Motel 6 class! Why? The combination of a poor shower head and soft water makes rinsing off the soap quite difficult. But, at the energetic desk clerk told me, it could still be updated.

The staff is wonderful. Everyone I encountered was pleasant and seemed to have pride in their work and the hotel. That was refreshing and appreciated. I have to give a special shout out to Alice, who is the ever-present "breakfast lady." I mentioned to her that the juice machine was displaying "Refill" next to the cranberry juice button. She went right to work on it and went above and beyond by bringing me an unsolicited glass once she had refilled it. That's really "taking care" of your customers.

One last word for all Choice Hotels: Why is Fox News the de facto program at breakfast in EVERY Choice Hotel I have visited? It makes me dread going down to breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Teri B, Manager at Comfort Suites Mattoon, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Earlmuck,

We would like to thank you for your stay here with us at the Mattoon, IL Comfort Suites. Your review means a lot to us. This renovation process here at the hotel was very extensive and we're very proud of the 360 degree turn around. I would like to apologize about the shower heads in the rooms, honestly this is the first time someone has mentioned a problem with our shower heads but we will definitely look into it! We greatly appreciate all the Pros and Cons of your review. By you taking the time out to review our hotel it lets us know what we can do better to serve you as our guest. Again thank you Earlmuck and we hope to see you again in the near future.

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Greencastle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I want to preface this review by saying I have never done one before. However, this hotel stay was so significant I felt I had to write this great review on their behalf. I apologize ahead of time for its length but I think you'll see that under the circumstances there was no way around it.

I came to Mattoon, Illinois from Pennsylvania, to visit my grandchildren. I was scheduled to stay two nights prior to returning home. Unfortunately the day I arrived in Illinois I became quite ill, to include a 102 degree temperature. 9 days later I am still here recuperating (though it looks like I will be able to drive home tomorrow.) The staff here has been exceptional! Rather than treating me as a guest, which would have been just fine, they have literally taken me in like a close knit family.

When I arrived, Mary at the front desk took one look at me and inquired if I was okay. She assisted me right away in finding some Tylenol for my fever, extra bottles of water, names and phone numbers for Walk-In care, and checked on me before leaving to go home for the night. She's made it a daily habit to check in on me and to make sure that I have everything I need. Her kindness and consistency are heartfelt. She introduced me to Jonathan who was working the front desk following her and explained my circumstances. Jonathan flawlessly picked up right where she left off. Every time I came out to the lobby he asked if there was anything he could do to make my stay more comfortable. He reminded me to drink lots of fluids, rest, and since I was having trouble keeping down food he recommended some things that might settle in my stomach better. (I later found out from somebody else that he is studying to become a nurse.) He put to use some of his newly acquired knowledge from nursing school without crossing the line and acting as my nurse. Jonathan later introduced me to Tom who ran the front desk overnight. Again Tom's concern was genuine and he followed up with me through the night. He emptied out my icky trash and replaced the trashcan liners. Tom visited with me while he cleaned the breakfast room and set it up for breakfast. While he didn't stop working he sure kept me company in my utter misery. I was finally able to sleep some. Wade was introduced to me on a totally separate late night and I guess after talking to the other Guest Services Agents he went right to work to see that my needs were attended to as well. He replaced some towels and linens in the middle of the night that I sorely needed and treated me as if I were his own mom with sincerity and concern. His sense of humor was good medicine. While I saw little of Courtney and Macy at the front desk they consistently and caringly followed through with checking on me.

Blanca has been my room attendant. She spent extra time changing my sheets daily, bringing me extra linens when I was sick and had gone through all of mine, sanitized my room thoroughly, stopped by at the end of her shift and took my trash out again, and brought me hand sanitizer to use in the room until we leave. I am quite confident that she prevented the spread of my illness to other guests and staff members. She offered to pick up anything I needed at the store on her way to or from work and daily checked on me even on her day off. She is THE rock star of room attendants! Melody, the laundry attendant, worked extra hard to wash my sheets and towels daily and she did it willingly and with a smile. Again, once Blanca informed her I was sick she took the time to check on me. I was embarrassed about all the throwing up etc. but she insisted it was no big deal. She did not want me worrying about that but instead to direct my energy towards getting well. And Bria, a room attendant, though not mine, heard from Blanca that I was sick took the time to come and meet me and wish me well. And though she doesn't have a vehicle offered to pick up anything I might need and bring it back her next shift. Carrie heads up the housekeeping staff. She is quick and efficient and she guides, manages, and instructs her staff and inspects their work at the end of the day. I've seen nothing but clean, fresh smelling private rooms as well as the shared public spaces. She's inherited some good workers. Job well done.

Alice runs the breakfast room most days. She takes the time to vary the menu and the food is quite good, always hot, and well presented. The room always seems spotless and considering there have been more than a 100 people for breakfast some days I've never seen her run short of food or patience or a smile. She takes the time to get to know guests and does the little things that make breakfast seem like it is home cooked, such as warming up syrup so it is hot for your waffle. Whatever one needs within reason, Alice will accommodate. Lisa is the backup in the breakfast room and she follows Alice's directions perfectly.

Allen heads up maintenance. I think he can fix just about anything. The washer broke and he had it up and running by the following morning. Some plants had died by the front door so he quickly disposed of and replaced them with beautiful new, live plants. It makes for a colorful and cheerful entry into the hotel. I've seen him assist guests with their luggage, give directions to destinations, as well as other things that are not technically in his job description. He told me he really enjoys working here.

Cameron, a houseman keeps the front of the house immaculate. His attention to detail is quite remarkable. He was picking up trash outside one day and I merely suggested nobody would know if he just walked around and did nothing. He said, "They pay me for this job and I am glad to have it." Quite a work ethic for a young college kid. Zack also is a houseman and though I don't see much of him he is a hard worker. He stayed late, off the clock and tried to fix the washer for me the day it went out.

I heard that Terrie is the new General Manager. She has inherited a good quality staff. And I know with her leadership she could turn this staff into a mighty team. I would be hard pressed to find a hotel with more caring employees or ones that pay more attention to detail. She too showed her concern for my well-being and checked in on me. She listens and responds well to guests and I've observed the same in her interactions with staff. I can't wait to come back for a stay in a few weeks...a few months, because it will be all that much better with her consistent leadership and the quality, caring staff at this Custom Suites.

THANK YOU to each and every one of you for making what could have been a disastrous stay into a quality stay. You have nurtured me back to health. In a way I feel like part of the "family" here even though I didn't know even one of you prior to this visit. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in this area. Stay here over a hotel even a few miles closer to whatever brings you here. You won't regret driving a few extra miles once you experience this clean, fairly recently remodeled hotel and it's warm and hard working staff.

Sincerely, Mary O. Usry

Room Tip: First floor has more traffic. Most noticeable on the weekends.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mary U

First off we would like to thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel on tripadvisor. Your kind words means so much to our entire staff. Your stay was pleasurable for all of us here. We admire your loyalty and faithfulness in our chain and in our staff. Since you have gone we have definitely missed your presence. You have inspired us all. I want to apologize for you becoming sick during your stay, hopefully the next time you come to stay with us you will be 100% in health and your stay will be more enjoyable. Take care and we hope to see you again in the near future!
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was wonderful. From the time we arrived at the counter we were treated like VIP's. The room was great as was the breakfast in the morning. The lady working the desk made the stay special,she was very warm, friendly and very efficient. Mary is an asset to the hotel.

Elwood Tallman

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Teri B, General Manager at Comfort Suites Mattoon, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We work very hard to keep our hotel as we would want it to be as we traveled on our own. "Just Like Home" is the way we want you to feel when you are with us. Thank you for staying with us and we do hope we see you again soon!
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

After a long difficult renovation the property is now offering visitors rooms that are as nice as any new property in the system. Service is great with a really helpful front desk and breakfasts that are really well prepared and carefully watched over. I have been staying here for 12 years now and things have never been better. Congratulations to the management team.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
What a wonderful review! We really have been through the long haul with renovations but have been please with the outcome and the new benefits it brings to our guests. We are so pleased that your experience with us was so nice. Thank you for your loyalty to us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stopped on our way home to Florida! Great room, completely remodeled. From the time with checked in with Mary to the breakfast with Lisa, it was a great stay! I would highly recommend staying, unless you have a pet. I for one, love pets, but am happy to stay in a hotel that does not accept them or smoking! Thanks to you all for a job well done and a great nights sleep!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful comments! We strive to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Please come back as see us again soon!
Okawville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel has been totally upgraded in the past year and is superb! The rooms are all suites, furnished with top grade furniture and accessories (example-coffee mugs with the in-room coffee maker, rather than Styrofoam cups). Our king bed was wonderful with pillow top, and extra pillows. Night stand lights include a personal reading light, so you don't disturb the other sleeper. Flat screen TVs are located in the sitting area and the bedroom. The staff are knowledgeable, extremely helpful, and friendly. Room was immaculate and very comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was way over expectations with hot and cold items, waffle maker, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. They have a nice pool and exercise room, too. A very nice motel and worth your visit if you want a good night's rest and a warm, welcoming atmosphere. Restaurant a short walk away which gives discount for staying at this motel. Highly recommend this excellent hotel. A++ rating.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice. We prefer 3rd floor so there's no foot traffic noise above us. The have an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kim B, Manager at Comfort Suites Mattoon, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Ron,

Thank You for such an honest and pleasant review, we're happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. Your kind words and review are greatly appreciated and will be shared with our staff and others. By your response this shows that we're effectively taking care of our guests, giving them a "home away from home" kind of experience. Thank you again Ron for your review and we hope that you continue to make the right Choice by staying with CHOICE HOTEL properties!
Shell Lake, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have been driving from Wisconsin to Florida for many years and have stopped at many hotels along the route, this was our first time at this hotel and we will definitely stay again. We have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and have to say that this was one of the most comfortable hotels we have stayed in. The bed was great, the shower was amazing, the hotel was very nice. It is also right next door to two restaurants, after a long day in the car, it is one of our top priorities to be able to walk to a restaurant, have a nice meal and a cold beer or glass of wine. We look forward to staying in the hotel on our way back to Wisconsin.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Love2travel,

We would like to thank you for your stay. It means a lot to us that you took the time to write a review about us on trip advisor. You’re helping us in such a tremendous way by sharing your experience here with to the rest of the many travelers that are looking for a great place to stay! We look forward to fulfilling you travel needs here in the near future, so please feel free to contact us the next time you’re on your way to either Florida or Wisconsin or just stop in and have a cup of coffee or a bag of popcorn! Thank You again!

Been to Comfort Suites Mattoon? Share your experiences!