“Well it's a HI Express” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Mattoon
Chicago
“Well it's a HI Express”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The front desk staff was really friendly during the check in process. Priority Club members are given the choice of a snack.

The room decor is sterile and basic. The best thing was the granite like material on the shower walls.

The breakfast was just ok. It would have been nice to have a bowl of oatmeal instead of all the unhealthly food options.

I wasn't given a copy of my bill. I stopped at the front desk and asked for a copy. The clerk said he had just started running his reports so it would be a few minutes. It didn't have the time to wait.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sara G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
We apologize that your stay at hotel did not meet your expections. We do offer oatmeal each morning with our breakfast but it is located near the coffee and hot water, so I am sorry that you did not realize that is was an option. We have addressed the issue of not immediately providing your bill with the employees so that this issue does not occur in the future. We do appreciate you taking the time to let us know of these problems so that we can use them as a learning tool to provide better service in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Athens, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed here on a overnight getaway. Staff was very warm and welcoming. The aroma of fresh baked cookies filled the lobby at check in. (They were warm & yummy!) Hotel was clean and breakfast was good! Willl stay here again when in this area!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephanie P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. We strive to make every stay a great experience for our guests and are glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.
Hamersville, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My sister and I had reservations for a few days in the month of november 2012, I called the hotel direct in october 2012 @ (217) 235-2060 because I never book a hotel without speaking to them direct finding out the age of the hotel, etc.Went I went to cancel because i came down with the flu and could not drive 6 hours, I was told that the reservation was booked through expedia!!!!! I explained that I called the hotel direct and I had never in my life booked through a 3RD party company with that they pretty much called me a LIAR and stated they would not refund me the full amount on my credit card because I had gone past the time frame to call and cancel. I explained to Stephanie the manger that in fact I did call in plenty of time but the the evening I called they had NO manager on duty to handle the situation, the employee on duty could not even locate the customer service number. BAD BUSINESS!!! I will never book at this Holiday Inn Express again!!!! I'm not even sure why they have a customer service department when you call them their answer is each hotel in owned by different owners so you are at their mercy. Not knowing for sure how to let other customers know my experiene I called the Matton Chamber of Commerce they suggested I post a review and also stated I could call the BBB and the Attorney Generals Office, thats my next stop. SO TAKE CAUTION WHEN YOU BOOK AT THIS HOTEL.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We are sorry that you were dissatisfied with your reservation. As you stated in our conversation, your Verizon phone bill showed that the number you called on October 16 was (217) 234-4267. This number does not belong to the Holiday Inn Express. The reservation in our system came from Expedia. As you verified in our conversation, the credit card number we have does not belong to you. When a reservation is made through Expedia, the only billing information that we receive is a credit card number that belongs to Expedia. As can be verified by your credit card statement or bank statement, the charges to your card were made by Expedia and therefore would have to be credited by Expedia.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for work, and it was an average Holiday Inn with good rooms and the standard breakfast (and great cookies!) but the best part is their customer service. I left a favorite large, bulky coat in my room. I called them and frantically asked for them to send it! They took my credit card on file, charged me for postage and shipped it to me; it arrived safe and sound at my apartment a week later. Thank you Holiday Inn!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are very happy to hear that your coat arrived safely at your home. In today's world and all the choices we have in lodging, we understand that Customer Service is a #1 priority in the Hospitality Business. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Please be our guest again when your travels bring you to the Mattoon area.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was struck by the fact that this property is where it is. Nice to have a hotel between some of the other areas of Illinois. I appreciate not having to drive to a major city to find lodging. Right off the interstate was excellent. Being next to Cracker Barrel made it possible to have a good meal without adding more drive time. Very clean and quiet.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing away from the entrance was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanking you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs and for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are glad you had a pleasant stay at hotel and strive to make every stay a pleasant stay. As you travel through again, please stop and be our guest again.
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel is simple but clean and comfortable. The location of the hotel in conveniently located near the interstate and several restaurants nearby. The breakfast buffet had enough variety to please most guests.

After staying at another hotel in town in the past, this Holiday Inn Express is the nicest place in town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It gives us great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. A clean, quiet and pleasant stay is the experience we work to provide each of our guests. The time you spent posting your comments in this website is much appreciated.
Illinois City, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a nice clean hotel up to the standards that you would expect at a Holiday Inn Express. The breakfast was timely and well-stocked. It is easily accessible from the interstate. The soundproofing must be good as we stayed next to a stairwell. I was hesitant, but never heard a thing!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review on your stay at our hotel. Everyday we stress to our employees how important it is to be sure that every guest has a fantastic stay. It is very rewarding to hear that you did enjoy your stay at our hotel. We hope that if you are in the area in future that you return to our hotel.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon? Share your experiences!