“Gross” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Matteson
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Gross”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed here because we were going to a concert at first midwest amphitheatre. Great location for the concert but the room was dirty. Under the two beds had tons of crumbs, wrappers, etc like it hadn't been vacuumed in awhile. The room stunk, the knobs were broken off the dirty a/c unit however we were able to control the room temperature with the thermostat on the wall. I'm a freak about bad bugs so pulled the mattress back a bit to check and there was hair and black flakey bits all in the crevices. Yuck Pool was quite small. And although they offer a free breakfast which we thought would be nice....we passed on that. They had the typical oatmeal cereal and waffle maker but the hot food they were serving just didn't look appetizing. Corned beef hash was runny, eggs looked gelled, not a good first impression (can't imagine what the kitchen must look like if our room was that dirty). front desk lady was pleasant and the lobby area was clean and up kept and in their defense it looked like they were doing some repairs however I don't think it was worth what they charge.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel and your room during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Great stay and a great price. Beds were verey comfortable. Room was clean and quiet, no odors. Assistant manager was an incredible help with everything including directing us to the best Chicago deep dish pizza we've ever had! Breakfast was good too! I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a great nights sleep!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
MgtTeam, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear valued Elite guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and your compliments towards Sara is very highly appreciated-which I have shared with her. We look forward to your next stay.

Please friend us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming specials!

Andy Sarma,
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Was booked to stay here two nights, April 9-11 for business, but checked out after just one night because of the poor room condition. First, there was hair (from somewhere other than someone's head) all over the sink and countertop and in the tub. I am allergic to down, so I check all hotel pillows before I sleep. There were four pillows on the bed. The first pillow I checked was down-filled but I don't hold down pillows against a hotel. The next pillow was not down-filled, so as I started putting the pillow case back on, I noticed that the edge of the pillowcase had line of hard, crusted yellowish-brown substance on it, like someone had used it for a handkerchief. So that one was unusable. The pillowcase on the third pillow had a cigarette burn in it (this was a nonsmoking room and I believe it is a nonsmoking hotel). I have never been to the area and I arrived after dark and after working for 16 hours, but if I had known there was another hotel right next door, I would have checked out right then. I spent the one night, but checked out immediately the next day. I didn't eat the breakfast, so I can't comment on that.

The hotel is doing some renovations. The front desk staff was friendly. But neither will make up for poor housekeeping.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. We truly understand how a clean room is essential to a good stay and will address your comments with the hotels management team to ensure our Housekeeping staff are made aware of these shortcomings.
Lafayette, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed here for four days on business. The hotel was very quiet and the staff and manager were very nice. The breakfast buffet was well stocked with basic breakfast fare and it was all good. The room was a basic hotel room. Overall it was very clean although one pillow had a spot on it that I was suspicious of. After reading a couple of reviews on here I was concerned about noise from the nearby highway however it wasn't so loud that it bothered me but you can hear it. Overall my stay was very nice and I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014
MgtTeam, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for your generous compliments. We look forward to your next visit. Please friend us in facebook to stay connected
Sincerely
Andy and Staff
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed here one night and would stay again. The room was very clean and no smoke smell in the common areas or room as another reviewer mentioned. They were having a large party the night I checked in and the check in staff put me at the end of the hall to be in a quiet location. I never heard any noise at all. I had to leave prior to breakfast so can not comment on it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay. We appreciate your compliments about our facility. We assure you that we are stiving hard to make sure we satisfy and exceed your expectations each visit.

Please friend us in facebook and share your thoughts too.

Andy and Staff
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Comfortable beds and clean rooms with a micro and fridge.Showing a bit of rundown in the lobby especially. I had a good price through Hotwire and have stayed here before. The breakfast is at least average. A 'free' breakfast is a major consideration when booking a hotel. Check in staff was friendly if not a little slow. I was made to feel more like family then just an average guest.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the quieter East side as this is away from the highway I-57 on ramp.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and your generous compliments. We shall strive to ensure we meet and exceed your expectations on each of your visits.

Sincere greetings,
Andy & Staff
Appleton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you smoke, don't think twice. BOOK THIS HOTEL!!! You will LOVE it. They have a ton of smoking rooms and they stink bad. In fact, most of the hotel smells of cigarette smoke.

If you don't smoke don't take a chance on booking a reservation. You have a good/fair chance of getting a smoking room since VERY FEW people want them. I don't understand hotels that cater to indoor smokers today. It's bad for business. Why should someone who doesn't smoke be subjected to smoking. The hospitality industry needs to take notice. This hotel is a prime example of the problem. As a non-smoker I won't give them my business again. If you want allow indoor smoking, continue to market to the minority of today's population at the expense of the larger market. A bottle of Febreeze won't even save you. Enough said.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MgtTeam, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We follow Illinois and Cook County Mandates to provide smoking rooms for smokers, which helps the non smoking rooms to be smoke free, as you know that a lot of people do not wish to smoke outside of their rooms. We understand your frustration but we assure you that the hotel doesnt smell like smoke, except for smoking rooms on the top corner floor. Thus we always provide guests with 100% non-smoking requests, the designated non smoking floors.
We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations. We sincerely hope that you give us a chance and we shall do our best.
Andy Sarma

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson? Share your experiences!