“Too overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Matteson
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Too overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked a room here on hotels.com months in advance of our 9/2/12 stay. My two sisters and I went to the Toby Keith concert at Midwest Bank Amphitheatre and wanted to spend the night at a nearby hotel after the concert. I spent a total of $156.36 for one night for a standard room with two queen beds. I picked this hotel because it was one of a couple hotels near the concert venue that had smoking rooms available. I wasn't expecting much based on the other online reviews I read about the place, but I was way more disappointed that I thought after all was said and done. First of all, it was difficult to find. Online directions from Google didn't work and we ended up calling the hotel to guide us there. The guy at the front desk who answered the phone was very friendly and I give him props because he was the only good thing about our stay here. Walking into the check-in area, it was totally hot and humid. Might have been because of the indoor pool (very small pool, btw - don't expect to be swimming laps) that was clearly visible from the front desk. Check-in was smooth so at least they didn't lose my reservation. We were assigned a room on the third floor (top floor). There is only one elevator which is across from the pool and not only was the elevator not air conditioned (or any air flow in it at all), but it was the SLOWEST elevator I have ever ridden on. We walked past some vending machines on the way to the elevator with an OUT OF ORDER sign on the beverage machine and other food items way overpriced - $5 for an ice cream sandwich - seriously??? Anyway, we cannot even get off the elevator on the third floor because there are two housekeeping carts blocking our way. The housekeepers moved them promptly, but it was past 5pm and why where rooms being cleaned at that time when checkout time is noon? We get to our room and it is boiling hot inside and it was not easy to figure out how to work the air conditioning. We actually had to go in the hall to ask a housekeeper for help. It took a long time for the room to cool over afterwards. The room was way smaller that expected. It was average clean - I mean there were stains and crayon marks on the wall and the niceset thing in the whole room was the flat screen tv - which was also the newest. There were NO towels whatsoever in our room. WTF? Called down to the front desk and was told they were out of towels and waiting for laundry. We did get towels delivered to our room a short time later and were glad for that. Came back to the room about 11pm that night and thank goodness the room was very cold the way we like it. Admittedly, my sisters and I come from a big family and we have loud voices. We did a voice check in the hallway to be sure we were not too loud and the walls seemed to be thick. The ice machine was close by our room and it was SO loud that it helped mask our voices as well. We stayed up pretty late. At 3:30am we get a knock on our door from an employee and are told there have been several complaints about noise in our room. REALLY????? This is the first time you are telling us this? Why the h--- didn't you notify us earlier so we could have quieted down? We didn't hear from neighbors or anybody so we didn't realize we were being so loud. Might have helped if we got a warning after the first complaint. Just ridiculous. We immediately went to bed after the employee advised us we were too loud. I mean, he was basically threatening to throw us out...come on, without even a warning first? Not very smart. I appreciate that we were told to quiet down, but it was a bit late at the time and was NOT done in a friendly manner. Bottom line, the place was just okay - I did give it a below average rating because it WAS below average. I've staying in many hotels in my life and this was one of the worse. Will I ever go back? NO.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
We are so extremely unhappy to hear of the challenges that you experienced while visiting our hotel. It is our goal that each guest leaves satisfied with their stay. Please know that your comments have been heard and we are working very diligently to ensure that this situation does not happen again. We hope that the next time that time you are in our area, you will return to see that we have been able to make changes to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wesley, Arkansas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Double check your registration paperwork when checking in. I didn't, who does??? Rates increased each night we stayed. I was quoted one rate, $99.90 and by the 4th night I was up to and charged $125.10. I tried to dispute it but was told that is normal procedure for all hotels. A first for us. And we travel quite a lot. Said it was highlighted when I intialed it. Don't remember seeing any highlighted areas and they could have highlighted it later. Beware!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

For a hotel that charges over 100 dollars a night they really should take better care of their property. I will never stay here again. The carpet looked like it had been patched and was a shotty job. Also it was very noisey as people ran up and down the halls all evening.

• Stayed July 2012
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear CWG_77,

Thank you for your feedback involving your stay at the Country Inn & Suites Matteson, IL. We value this feedback as it helps us fine tune our operations in order to maintain appropriate standards. I was very sorry to hear of the condition of the hotel and that you did not find value in your stay. If you would like to discuss this in detail with a member of our Customer Care department, please contact us here at ccare@carlsonrezidor.com

Deanna
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

It wasn't perfect. It wasn't even great, but the hotel was nice and reasonably priced for the Chicago area (if a little on the high side). The room was clean and well prepared. We only stayed one night so I have no idea if house keeping is competent or not. AC was cold, TV had all the channels we expect, shower had all the hot water we wanted, so there wasn't much else to complain about for a short stay.

The pool had a strong chlorine smell, but we didn't use it. There were plenty of other guests who did though, as we never saw it empty. Continental breakfast was adequate but boring and bland. Our only complaint was that when we asked for toothpaste (we forgot ours) they didn't have any; first hotel in a long time that didn't have common concierge items available for guests.

I would have felt it was a better value at the ~$90 range than the $120 we paid, but it is a Chicago suburb, where driving another 15 miles up the road will cost you $200 for the same room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I was a bit apprehensive booking this hotel after reading some of the reviews, but it all turned out good. I was visiting Chicago to meet friends so looking for a convenient place to stay, not too far from the city center. This hotel was an excellent choice, very well connected. The rooms were quite spacious and well presented. I didn't get to interact with the staff too often but on occassions that I did I found them to be polite and happy to help and show me around. The check-in-out process was a breeze, and within a few minutes I was already in my room. The communal areas were neat and tidy as well. So over all a pleasant stay. Will definitely come back again, good value for money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed for two nights and wasted $295. Staff was rude and hung up the phone on us when telling them we would be late. Lobby bathroom was filthy. Hotel room had used towels laying in bathroom, toothpaste around sink and price tags on floor. Breakfast the first morning was good because we were there when it opened. There was no food the second morning. Too busy. There was only one lady trying to stock the breakfast counter for 50 people in line. Gang affiliations etched in elevator walls. Filthy pool. Extremely slow internet. The place smelled horrible and apparently they are too cheap to have AC in the halls and on the elevator, although that is minor to me.

WORST of all - Anastasia. She is assistant to Bridget Streck apparently, who is supposed to be the GM. She dismissed our issues by saying the hotel was too busy that weekend to talk to us on the phone prior to our arrival. We called to say we would be late and when we arrived, they were processing us as a no-show and charging us. Next step was to give our room away, even though we had called to say we would be late. According to Anastasia, even if you call, this still happens. Apparently it is our fault that they were overbooked and had two weddings in one weekend. Anastasia said the dirty towels were in our room because staff had forgotten them there after cleaning up our room. Since when do you use the towels from the towel rack to clean?

Worst part is the avoidance of dealing with the issues. I have not been able to contact anyone else in the hotel. I simply want an apology but until then, I will continue to let people know how awful this place truly is.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
We are sorry to hear about your experience with the hotel during your visit. We want to inform you that any booking reserved with a credit card should be held by the hotel until Noon the day following the arrival date, therefore, your room should not have been no showed, or given away. We have notified the hotel of this, and your other complaints, to ensure they adhere to company policies and standards. We appreciate your feedback and are using it to fine tune our operations so we can exceed your expectations during your next stay. Thank you for your time.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel 06-12-12. A total of $119.70. It was not at all what I expected. 1st the smell of the pool and spa was so strong it almost took my breath away. We got in the elevator and it was obvious it had not been cleaned in a while. My sandle stuck to the floor. The elevator door opened to the 3rd floor and the air was hot and still had the smell as the 1st floor. I opened the door to our room and the heat was on full force. It was late so we adjusted the 20 year old thermostat and went to bed in nice sheets and a semi comfortable bed. Woke in the morning to find only one wash cloth. Ok so we get dressed and go down stairs for coffee. The elevator still has not been cleaned and the ice machine was so loud i could not here my husband talking to me. Anyways on about breakfast it was ok nothing special. The fresh fruit container looked more like a can of mixed fruit and the eggs were more like a cake to where you cut off a slice. The coffee and the sheets and the people were the only thing good i can say about this hotel. Will not stay there again. Oh and breakfast is over at 9:30 promptly dont be late and you better be finished.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Matteson? Share your experiences!