“Excellent hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Matteson
Cleveland, Oklahoma
“Excellent hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Went to the Chicago area to sing at a men's retreat and the church booked us at the Matteson Hampton. I am very glad they did! The rooms were roomy and beds were very comfortable. I never heard our neighbors through the walls either. The breakfast was excellent and the afternoon we got there they had lasagna out and it was yummy too. They also had cookies! The staff were very friendly and accommodating and service was excellent!

Room Tip: was on the 3rd floor east side and was very quiet there
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
 We always enjoy hearing from our guests! Thank you for posting such a pleasant review for the
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson.

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

We had a 16 hour drive into Matteson so I called about an hour in advance (around 11:00am or so) to see if it would be possible to check in early, the clerk put me on hold and came back on the line and said it wouldn't be a problem. We arrived at the hotel a little after 12pm and the room was not ready. Not a problem, I understand they have a specific check in time. We sat in the car for a little over 30 minutes and checked in with them occasionally. A room was available around 12:45pm or so? We were not informed of breakfast hours or given any kind of information upon check in. I asked the front desk clerk later in the evening, he was super nice and informative! Breakfast was great, they had a lot of options. Fresh oatmeal rather than just the packaged kind. However, they decided not to make any oatmeal on our second morning I'm not sure why? It would have been nice to get a "Good Morning" or a smile from some of the staff but that was not the case. On our 2nd day we noticed that the room did not lock upon closing it. You would slightly push the door and it would open right up. After the 1st night our room key was deactivated so we got stuck in the back parking lot around 11pm in the the rain with no way to get in, luckily another guest arrived shortly after so he was kind enough to let us in with him. We stayed here for 2 nights and our room was not cleaned during our stay, I'm not sure if that's normal procedure? We were able to get clean towels from the front desk. I did explain to the clerk the reason why we needed towels, but she did not comment. Overall I would stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
We take all feedback seriously, and regret you had problems with the front desk and your room key. The problems you encountered will be taken up at our next management meeting. We are also glad to hear you would stay here again and will look forward to seeing your then.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had a reservation for five days for a 2 bed Queen suite, upon arriving, I was told they only had a one bed king suite for 4 people. The desk clerk said we could have a lower rate for the entire stay if we took that room for the night, and the next morning we could get the room we were suppose to have, and we have the discount rate for the room, but when I went the next day to see about the room I was told that the clerk wasn't authorized to give me a discount rate, so if I got the room that I suppose to have gotten in the being I would have to pay the full rate. The clerk also lied and said the reason he gave the rate was because he had a line and just needed to get us away from the counter because I cursed him, which I never said a curse word and there was no one else waiting. That same clerk for some unknown reason baked cookies one night and about 11:30 in night the fire alarm went off and everyone had to leave the hotel due to him doing something he shouldn't have been doing. This was a very bad stay at this hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
We are disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. The problems you mentioned were brought to the attention of our management and are being addressed. The lack of service you experienced is unusual and not the standard of our hotel. Please know your comments are taken very seriously and will be acted upon immediately.
Amherst, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Great service and a friendly staff. Nice rooms and very convenient being as it is located about half an hour from Chicago. Also right next to a plaza and relatively close to other stores. All around great service. Breakfast buffet included and very good as well. The hotel also has a heated pool open till ten at night and that is very fun.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
 Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We pride ourselves in being service professionals here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson. We hope to see you again soon.
St. Paul, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Stayed two nights while visiting Chicago -- King suite. Room was really nicely decorated and comfortable. Very spacious. It was our first time at a Hampton Inn and I was impressed. Great access to restaurants, stores and fairly straight jaunt to downtown (35-45 min). Breakfast buffet had lots of choices and was tastey, but only 1 waffle maker for all guests so they could use another. Staff seemed very busy and a little overwhelmed. When I asked for a suitcase rack, the front desk person just said 'no, they didn't have one' and made no attempt to address my need. We also needed additional pillows and towels for the 3 of us, and housekeeping, while pleasant, noted that they were very busy. Pool was also very cold and appeared somewhat dirty. No hot tub. Overall, good stay.

Room Tip: Room 100 is excellent. Lights outside hotel at night mean you need to keep your drapes shut tightly...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
It was good to hear you liked our King room and are sorry you had problems with the front desk and the waffle maker. . We are in the process of evaluating opportunities for improvement and appreciate your input!
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by my experience. The staff I encountered were all very pleasant and helpful. The room was comfortable and nicely decorated. The furniture had a few scratches, but everything else was beautiful. My room was spacious and my bed was very comfortable.

I was really pleased to discover the toiletries available. I didn't want to check my bags on my flight so I didn't bring my own and I was pleased to discover everything I needed and more - I haven't seen shower gel or mouthwash in a hotel in a while!

The workout center was clean and comfortable and offered several options for cardio equipment as well as free weights (starting at 5 lbs). My only concern was that the treadmill stopped on a dime - it was not a brand I was familiar with and I've not encountered this with other machines.

The complimentary breakfast was a nice perk. The eggs and French toast sticks were hot and delicious and there were many options to choose from, including fresh fruit.

If business takes me to this area again, I look forward to staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson we were glad to hear "I was pleasantly surprised by my experience". We always enjoy hearing from our guests! Thank you for posting such a pleasant review.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed at this Hampton for business. The location is great as it's literally across the street from our office complex. However, the location is tricky the first time. It sits on a road behind a strip mall, so your gps may get you lost. It's a quick, easy drive from Midway airport. Just take Cicero all the way. There are a lot of stoplights, but it is the fastest route (about 25 minutes). Do not take any freeways, you will be going out of your way.

As for the hotel itself, the room was very dusty and the carpets had not been vaccumed. There was hair on one of nightstands, which particulary grosses me out, and could have been removed if they dusted. That said, the front desk team is extremely friendly, but the cleaning staff could use some work. For value, I give it 3 stars. Perhaps it's my company's fault for not negotiating a better rate, but $129 for a small town Hampton with a dusty room is not value to me. I would stay here again on a one or two night business stay, but not otherwise.

• Stayed April 2012
Frank guest reviews such as yours, are appreciated, as they give us the chance to improve. It seems the underlying issues you experienced were the result of unacceptable housekeeping practices. The problem you mentioned was brought to the attention of our housekeeping department and have been addressed. Thank you for your review.

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Southland-Matteson? Share your experiences!