“This is the place I would come back to.” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Havre-sur-Mer
1197 Chemin du Bassin | L’Anse-à-la-Cabane, Quebec G4T 0E7, Canada   |
Ontario, Canada
“This is the place I would come back to.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

I spent 4 nights of the 8 nights we had on Iles de la Madeleine at Havre Sur Mer with my Mom and my husband. I didn't want to leave and really regretted having booked anywhere else as Havre Sur Mer was exactly the kind of spot I was hoping to find.

Gourmet, and I do mean gourmet, breakfasts are served in a bright dining area with views to the sea and some wonderful music playing in the background. Fantastic artwork is displayed throughout the inn. The rooms are large, bright, comfortable, and thoughtfully and artfully designed and equipped. I didn't see every room, but the ones I did see all seem to have a view to the sea with a balcony or small outdoor patio seating area. How I felt was that I didn't feel the need to escape the room, they really seemed to be places you could settle into, sit in a chair and read your book and look out at the views.

My Mom stayed in a ground floor corner room with windows looking out on each side and a sliding door to a porch with some chairs. There was a large luxurious bathroom with shower and tub. It was perfect for her.

There is an equipped kitchen area with a fridge, stove, coffee/tea making facilites in the inn area for guest's use. There is a dining table and a living room area also for the guests use. The studios have their own kitchen facilities.

The first night my husband and I stayed in a 2nd floor room in the inn, equally comfortable as my Mom's. The other 3 nights we stayed in one of the studio rooms, with 2 levels. The bedroom is on the 2nd level with fantastic views, a comfortable chair to read a book in or watch the sunset from, a great shower and a huge tub which I tried out one night. The lower level has a kitchen area, a dining table, and a living area. After 3 nights my Mom discovered a half washroom tucked in under the stairs which we hadn't even known was there the whole time we stayed! From the lower level you walk out sliding doors to a deck area with chairs.

We didn't make it to the spa, but there is a spa with hot tub and sauna half way down to the beach from the inn. People were definitely making use of it. Massage and spa services are available to book as well. Next time...

The inn has a prime location. It's just a walk down a path to the beach. At one end of the beach is a cliff with a lighthouse sitting on top. At the other a picturesque fishing boat harbour. I also found Havre Aubert, the island the inn is situated on, to be one of the nicest spots. There are some very good restaurants located a 5 minute drive away in the La Grave site, as well as an interesting marine museum, aquarium, and artisan shops. If you like to try windsurfing or kite surfing, the spot to do it is the lagoon along the spit joining Havre Aubert to Cap Aux Meules maybe a 10 minute drive.

Therese Bergeron, the inn owner, was a very gracious, professional host. I regret that my french is not good enough to have a true conversation and to express properly how wonderful I thought this place that she had created was.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lexington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

For our second trip to Les Îles de la Madeleine my wife and I chose accommodations at Auberge Havre-sur-Mer, at Bassin, on the south coast of Havre-Aubert island. This inn provides nine guest rooms in the main building and three studios in an adjacent building. We enjoyed one of the studios for nine days. This amazing property is located directly on the beach and affords an idyllic panorama from a lighthouse, on the far left, to the fishing harbor on the right. Amazing describes not only the breathtaking scenery but also the impeccably meticulous care given the entire operation.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the owner/host, Madame Thérèse Bergron, who showed us to our studio. Our first impression was indeed one of amazement. We would have sworn that we were the first ever to enter it. Everything was immaculately clean and perfectly placed. A queen bed, a sofa, a small table with two chairs, a very complete kitchenette of sparkling stainless steel, a marble bath with walk-in shower, and bathtub just beyond the foot of the bed. This same unyielding devotion to detail was evident throughout the property, especially in the public rooms so decorated with fine art that the entire inn was a work of art. Our studio was always returned to its pristine shape while we were at breakfast.

Ah breakfast! This was the most amazing of all the amazements. Advertised as a gourmet breakfast (included in the price of the room), it included three courses, served by Madame Bergeron, in addition to the juice, cereal and milk available for the taking from a buffet. In our nine days, we were never served the same dish twice. Everything was fresh and freshly made. Crepes filled with ham and cheese, delicate soufflés, breads baked that morning, there was always a first course, a main course and a dessert. Outstanding!

If this inn has any shortcoming it may be its location, although its location provides the beach and beautiful scenery. Breakfast is the only meal served. Therefore, one must drive at least six miles for lunch or dinner. A spa and the services of a masseuse are available on the property. Most other activities require a bit of a trip. An automobile is a necessity.

All in all, a great place. We only wish it were easier and less expensive to get to Les Îles de la Madleine .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We decided to spend some time for our summer holidays on les Îles-de-la-Madeleine which are situated approximately 100 km north of the eastern part of Prince Edward Island. As there were very few reviews on the Trip Advisor site we visited the Tourisme Iles de la Madeleine web site to research accommodations. An email to the Tourism office resulted in the tourist guide and other information being received in just a few days - which was good considering we were making late plans and needed to confirm ferry reservations.

The Îles-de-la-Madeleine are a string of islands that are connected by a provincial highway (Québec route 199) from north to south. We wanted to stay away from the central area where the ferry docks and found that the Havre-sur-Mer on the southernmost island of Havre-Aubert was the perfect place.

I contacted Thérèse Bergeron, the inn's hostess, initially through the web site regarding availability. We also spoke briefly on the phone and I provided my credit card information to reserve the rooms via facsimile. A few days later I received a confirmation in the post with a receipt for my deposit and additional information on the property.

You can get to the Madeleine's via air - but most people probably take the ferry from PEI. During the busy season the ferry runs 24 hours per day - each trip (one way) is five hours. We took the 2 AM CTMA ferry departing Souris PE and arriving at Cap-aux-Meules QC promptly at 7 AM. We spent the first day prior to check-in exploring the islands making our way down to the Havre-sur-Mer.

Upon check-in we were greeted by Thérèse who showed us our rooms and around the facility. One thing was clear: we didn't have enough days booked to really take in all the Havre-sur-Mer and the Islands have to offer.

We actually stayed in two different rooms in the main building - as our late reservations necessitated that we change rooms. Each room is decorated a little differently. The bath was pleasantly adorned with a variety of hand crafted soaps and amenities. The cleanliness of the rooms and the whole facility was outstanding.

Although we didn't get to check them out - the Havre-sur-Mer has a separate building where there are three "studio" apartments. From the pictures on their web site these look pretty nice - we enquired about renting one but they were booked and based on the quality of the Inn I can see why. There is also a small spa close to the beach - another thing we didn't have time to enjoy during our visit.

The Havre-sur-Mer is set back from the ocean on the southern most shore of the island maybe 20 or 30 metres. Nothing but wide-open sea between you and Prince Edward Island! There is a small grassy area and some paths that lead to seats on the edge of the cliff overlooking the ocean and beach below. From there a short path leads down to a fine white sand beach.

Although there were a few other people on the beach it was pretty much vacant most of the time and plenty of room for privacy and enjoying the environs. The wind blows continuously which we took advantage with some kite flying. (There is a great shop where you can get a basic kite up through those that cost $500 or more!)

Thérèse and her staff serve a multi-course gourmet breakfast each morning. During check-in she had asked about food allergies and preferences and took that into account with their preparations. Breakfast is served in a sunny room in the back of the Inn overlooking the ocean.

The Havre-sur-Mer has a kitchen which is available to guests to store items in the refrigerator as well as prepare light snacks, lunches, etc. Thérèse helped us with a number of good recommendations for our dinner plans - both on the Ile Havre-Aubert as well as on the Ile du Cap-aux-Meules approximately 20 minutes to the north.

All-in-all I highly recommend the Havre-sur-Mer: ideal location, great facility and helpful, courteous people makes the perfect holiday.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Havre-sur-Mer? Share your experiences!