“Good food, nice atmosphere, exceptional service.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Danville, Kentucky
“Good food, nice atmosphere, exceptional service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Visiting overnight in Marion, the desk clerk at our motel recommended this restaurant for barbecue. It is a small southern Illinois chain, and it has apparently won awards all over the east. I had decided to try pulled pork again, after being disappointed in many other places. This place did not disappoint. The pork was tender and moist, with not too much sauce on it (I prefer to taste the meat not the sauce). The amount was huge for the price, and the sides completed a good meal. The beans were a mixture of pea, kidney, and lima beans, in a slightly hot molasses sauce. I also ordered the "chop" which is a vinegar and oil type of cole slaw. I want the recipe!

My friend ordered the brisket, which was somewhat drier than expected, but it was tender, and all meat, unlike some brisket he's had before which is half fat.

We definitely would come back, and will recommend this restaurant.

Our server did get my drink order slightly wrong -- I asked for it without ice, and she brought it with ice. She very quickly offered to replace it, but it wasn't really a problem for me. She checked back with us several times -- not too often, but not too seldom either.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Plainfield, Illinois
“Better than the last time!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Ate here when passing through for work. I have eaten at the original a couple of times and haven't been overly impressed. This time was better. The ribs had much more flavor but I have still had better. The service was great and this is newer location which is nice.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing ribs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Drove down to see if food network right that these are the best ribs in America I would say no. The ribs that came to our table were tender but were tepid as if had been sitting out for hours and then a little sauce dribbled on. The sides were not any better than I have gotten from KFC so I would vote no to this establishment .

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Meat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I like meat. They serve it here. You get it with other meat, even potatoes. You can have veggies, but why you do that?! Are you rabbit or North Korean? Meat on bone make me go "Oooga!!" I am all that is man!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Illinois/Indiana
“Where locals eat... great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love their roomy booths because they are so private. You can easily fit 6 in a booth and be comfortable. The food is wonderful and the service is usually very quick. Want even more privacy, try the booths back in the bar area. This is one of our favorite places to go after work to unwind. So many restaurants are noisy and distracting, and this one is perfect for chilling out. Try their red beans and rice, sour cream potato salad, corn muffins and their salads which feature homemade croutons and a fantastic house dressing made with a bit of BBQ. Love this place!

Visited April 2013