My husband and I stayed here for three nights in mid-October 2013, a Monday, Tuesday, and Weds night. The hotel is a very good hotel if you have reasonable expectations. They offer a wonderful complimentary breakfast every morning, which includes scrambled eggs, sausage, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, bagels, toast, muffins, donuts, danishes, white rice, apple juice, orange juice, milk, coffee, other hot drinks, fresh fruits, cold cereals, fruit cups, yogurt, and that is just all I can remember.
There is a manager's reception offered every evening, which includes complimentary snacks and beverages (alcoholic and non). We didn't visit it, but we heard they offered nachos and cheese, meatballs, fresh fruits, etc.
The hotel offers fresh cookies at the counter every afternoon and until they are gone in the evening. They are quite delicious and we helped ourselves each day.
The hotel had a small pool and a nice sized hot tub, both of which were not busy while we were there and were quite enjoyable. There was also a small exercise room which looked fine, but we did not use it.
We had a king sized room, which was pretty small; if money is not an issue I would recommend paying the extra money and getting a suite. We were fine with the king sized room, but next time we will probably pay a little more and get the king suite for the extra space. The regular king sized room was pretty cramped and small, but still okay. Our room had a very comfy bed and pillows and the sheets were soft enough they didn't irritate my skin. I have a lot of trouble with my skin and harsh chemicals really make it worse, so I was very relieved I did not have that problem while I was there. The room had a newer high definition television, which looked very nice. Our room also had a microwave and refrigerator, which are very nice to have.
My room key stopped working on day two of our stay. We had the front desk fix it and then the next day the room key stopped working again. That was ridiculous. My husband used to work in a hotel and told me that second keys frequently will do that because of how they are programmed, but I don't care. If our stay is for three nights and we are given two keys, both keys should work throughout our entire stay. To have my room key stop working two days in a row is an unnecessary irritation.
Our room also ran out of Kleenex on the last night. The front desk gave my husband another box to bring to the room, but it was a bit annoying when we ran out of Kleenex in the room.
The elevator in the hotel needs work. When it leaves the first floor it makes a horrible cranking noise which everyone notices and comments on. I read back through old reviews on this website and saw this was mentioned back in April. April? Really? It's time to fix it!
The staff was very friendly, with the exception of the breakfast attendant. For some reason the breakfast attendant looked irritated every time I saw her and seemed grouchy when I complimented her for the very nice looking breakfast.
Check-in and check-out was a breeze. Check-in was super fast and efficient. We used a debit card to reserve our room and to pay. As long as you let them know when you check-in that you are using a debit card, they will charge the entire amount up front plus an extra $50 hold on the card. That way you don't have to worry about a lot of extra money being held out of your bank account while waiting for the held funds to be released. Check-out was automatic, they slipped the slip under the door for our records and we left the keys in the room.
Overall, it was a very good hotel. My husband and I both very much enjoyed our vacation. We plan to visit Southern Illinois again next October for another vacation and plan to base ourselves out of the same hotel, albeit with a King Suite next time (hopefully). I would highly recommend the hotel, but I wouldn't be doing a thorough review if I didn't point out the negatives I did. I know when I was researching this trip I paid attention to the good and the bad about the hotel so I would know what to expect. Like I said at the beginning, this is a very good hotel if you have reasonable expectations.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Marion Hotel
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Marion Hotel Marion
- Fairfield Inn And Suites Marion
- Fairfield Inn Marion
- Fairfield Marion
- Marion Fairfield
- Marion Fairfield Inn
- Fairfield Inn Hotel Marion
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fairfield Inn & Suites underwent a change of ownership in October 2010 and was completely renovated shortly thereafter and has had many new amenities made available to guests. New amenities include new high definition televisions in each guestroom, new electric front entry doors, new furniture and fixtures throughout the guestrooms and public areas, and the availability of complimentary high speed wired and wireless internet service to guests. We look forward to your stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Marriott, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites Marion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.