“Not the cleanest place...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Manteno

You added Howard Johnson Manteno to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Manteno
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   157 Cypress St., Manteno, IL 60950 (Formerly Welcome Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Manteno
Joplin, Missouri
“Not the cleanest place...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Overall the hotel is an okay place to stay with an indoor pool and small continental breakfast. The price was affordable. I walked into the bathroom and the ceiling lights did not have a cover and you could see the wires were covered in dust which is probably a fire hazard. Also, we found a prescription pill on the floor next to the bed which was pretty scary since we had our 2 year old with us. Thank God I found it before she did!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
charleston,il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

we stayed there 2 and a half days. I walked in to stains on the carpet and crumbs of food tucked underneath the bed and table. The hotel only had one entrance and access for the entire two story hotel. The main lobby. No elevator. The back door which you would assume is access for the customers with rooms in the back of the hotel....NOPE. The card reader didnt even work, basically wasnt even a reader. The manager informed us after several times of us propping it open that it was an exit only! What hotel doesnt have a back entrance!!! The pool was disgusting. NO hot tub..the bottom of the pool was slippery and slimey, the pool towels were the size of dish rags. One night it rained and water came streaming in through the top of the window. We had to put towels on the sill to prevent it from falling onto the air conditioner. I will never stay here again and will be staying in the country inn and suites!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

I too had read the negative reviews of this hotel before it became a Howard Johnson's. However, I found that the Howard Johnson's nameplate has overcome whatever deficiencies existed under previous management. My wife and I found the room to be comfortable and convenient, with plenty of floorspace and a large bathroom. The hotel management was competent even if the English language skills were a little below average. The continental breakfast was basic but adequate, and the location was excellent for access to the Kankakee area, and that was where we were visiting. Because we were staying for nearly a week, we were trying to keep our average daily costs down, and this hotel enabled us to achieve that goal. The staff was helpful with some special requests we had and treated us fairly. Because of the price level, we were not expecting any kind of lavish facility with many amenities. But we were expecting something that was comfortable, if basic. We were not disappointed. We hope to stay in this hotel again and would recommend it to others as long as they remember it is not the Hilton or even the Holiday Inn-Express.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

Outstanding Hotel
Large Rooms, Large Bathrooms, Very comfortable, Prompt response by hotel staff, friendly hotel staff

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2006

We are from Ohio and was near Chicago for a baseball tournament. The Welcome Inn and Suites was a very pleasant suprise. The manager did a great job accomodating us and the rest of the team. The rate was very, very reasonable. We were stuck in the motel all day Saturday because of rain, a nightmare for a motel is having 12-15 kids running around all day inside. Everything was first class. I would recommend anyone to stay at this place. Actually, it was changing to a Howard Johnson the day we were leaving.

JDee

• Stayed June 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

For the last 6 years since moving to Wilmington IL we have taken our children to the Welcome Inn & Suites ( although it was formally the Comfort Inn till this year) and go for a night during the winter to get away and go swimming. I was very disapointed this year and all I can say is it must be the change of owners. After receiving what I thought was a good deal of 54.95 a night we booked a room for 2 adults and 2 children requesting a crib. After checking in we were told we would have to pay an extra 5.00 for a crib. I wish we would have known this because we would have brought our pack-in-play along for our daughter. (I dont understand why at some hotels you have to pay for a crib if your child cant sleep on the bed, it doesnt make sence) We were also informed we had to pay a manditory $2.00 fee for the use of making unlimited local phone calls. We have a cell phone and never used the phone once. We were also informed when we got there that the hot-tub was not working. I wish they would have informed us of that when we made the reservation because we would have made it for another time since that was one of the main reasons for going there and getting away. The next morning they give you complimentary continental breakfast that only consisted of bagels and cereal and donuts. Not even any fruit or hot oatmeal like other hotels. Very disappointing for health nut like me, :-)
My husband and I decided this will be the last time we go to this hotel unless it changes owners and then maybe we will try it again.....

• Stayed March 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

Started out with a reservation on yahoo travelocity and thought we were getting a deal on a room for $54.00 with a indoor pool and hot tub when we arrived the clerk informed us that the hot tub was out of order and told us it broke a few days ago but actually one of our trips in april of this year they conveniently had the same problem hmmmmmmmmmm after talking to the clerk and having her tell my wife " you already got a discount on your room " and there was nothing she could do to adjust the price i got upset and i came into the hotel and made my point be known that i thought it was wrong that they charge me for a hotel with a hot tub if i cant use it finally another employee suggested that they give us a hot tub room for the same price so i thought ok but now my 5 year5 old son had no bed and they didnt have a fold away bed or even a cot ok well now into the room we get greeted by june bugs and a few dead bugs in bathroom on floor ok well no towels and the air conditioner sucked too ok maybe it will get better NOT on the 2nd day the evening while myself and my wife are in bed the "same employee" tries to open my room door and says we didnt pay for 2 nights which we did and i showed him my receipt ok now to top it off we take our cooler full of soda and juice and attempt to fill it with ice like most people do at hotels on vacation the same employee stops me and says that i cant use the ice machine for that i can only get 1 ice bucket a few glasses of ice " no outside ice " OK READY FRO THE BEST YET NOW IM SITTING AT MY COMPUTER AND IM LOOKING at my banking account and they charged me again for another night iwouldnt recommend this hotel to my worst enemy if i wanted them to die there!

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Howard Johnson Manteno? Share your experiences!