“Rappeling” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 attractions in Makanda
Type: Tours, Hiking Trails
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We offer guided hiking, backpacking, rock-climbing, rappelling, kayaking & canoeing throughout the Shawnee National Forest and surrounding areas.
Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
“Rappeling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

My son and I took the guided rappelling trip and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our guide explained the purpose of all the equipment and steps to ensure fun-falling. If we return, we will do the climbing.

Visited June 2011

Saint Charles, Missouri
“This was the most fun I've had in a long time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

Me and my boyfriend used a Shawnee Adventure Guide to show go rock climbing and paddeling. It was the most fun I have had in a long time! Rob was our guide and he made rock climbing so interesting! I came away from the trip learning a lot more about rock climbing and wanting to do it more, and my boyfriend Cam'ron felt the same way... He and Rob got along well and loved talking about all the adventures they have both gone on. The trip was great! On a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 10 for sure. I would love to come back and it was definitly worth the two in a half hour drive.

Visited April 2011
Ozark, Illinois
“Shawnee Adventure Guides Are The Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We have been boulder and bluff-climbing, kayaking on the Cache River, and will go rappelling in two weeks with the Shawnee Adventure Guides. They have so much knowledge of pursuing what some might consider extreme outdoor activities safely and with expert-level instruction. They gear activities to the skill and fitness level of the participants, so at 60+ my husband feels like a kid again. Thanks for creating a business so in harmony with nature and experiences with so many thrills and excitement!

St. Louis
“What a beautiful area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Our family took a guided hike in Giant City State Park and had a great time. The journey allowed everyone to climb tree's and rocks and be educated on the local forestry and plant life. The guides were friendly, knowledgeable and gave advise on other things to do in the area. Who knew there was so much to do within a couple hours of St. Louis. We are looking forward to taking another trip soon.

D
“Rock Climbing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Shawnee Adventure Guides were wonderful to work with while my husband and I planned our anniversary getaway. They quickly returned our message to book our reservation and even drove the paperwork out to our cabin when I forgot to print their email. Our guide for rock climbing was sensative to my anxiety about heights and did an excellent job of explaining safety, equipment and procedures. He continously encouraged both my husband and I while climbing. He would also show us different ways to grab hand holds and other helpful stratagies. After this experience my husband and I both felt that we walked away with a lot more knowledge about climbing and had a blast! We were alittle concerned about how "fit" we needed to be to climb, but there are several routes up the rocks that vary in difficulty. Our guide gradually increased the difficulty of each climb depending on what my husband and I wanted. If you are planning a trip to Southern Illinois we would recommend making a reservation with Shawnee Adventure Guides.