“Relaxation at its finest!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oak Grove Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makanda
Oak Grove Cabins
You added Oak Grove Cabins to your Saves list
413 Oak Grove Road, Makanda, IL 62958   |
Waterloo, Illinois
“Relaxation at its finest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband & I had a weekend getaway & had the pleasure of staying in the newest addition to the cabins, #2 “The Dogwood" in Walnut Grove. Upon easy entering of the front door, we just felt very welcome & relaxed. We were very impressed with the decor, and modernization of this cabin. Everything from the flat screen t.v.’s to the stainless steel appliances to the luxurious spa on the patio, this cabin takes the cake! Of course you’re in the woods, you expect a few bugs here and there but we did not experience anything overboard bug wise. We had access to plenty of pre-chopped fire wood, and felt very private at our cabin. The kitchen was stocked with most of the items you’d need in any ordinary kitchen. Towels & toiletries were provided & well stocked. The electronics were easy to use as well. The mattress was not as comfortable as I’d hoped it would be, but wasn’t a deal breaker by any means. As with any other rental out there, there are cleaning policies and procedures that they are required to tell you. After reading them I didn’t feel that they were outrageous in any way. The owners obviously take pride in the things that they own and wish to keep their nice things looking nice. They are easy to work with and very polite people. Overall, we just cant wait to go again, hopefully in the winter! We imagine its just as beautiful that time of year! We had such a lovely time! It’s the perfect place to get away from the hustle & bustle of everyday life. Looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Burlington, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great spot with great amenities. Have had the pleasure of staying there more than once and will return. Can't wait to check out Walnut Grove cabins! The placement of the cabins is well thought out and you feel like you are alone in the woods. Close to everything and Dorothy is very accommodating. I just wish I had more time to actually stay on the site. There's so much to see and do out and about- I always wish I had more time there to do nothing and enjoy the space! That's on our "to do" list!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have stayed twice at these cabins, and have never had a bad experience. The area is beautiful, and the cabins are as well. The owners are very nice and provide everything you need for a perfect, relaxing stay. They are dog friendly which is a big plus for me, and provide everything we need to make their stay enjoyable. Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in cabin #2 in the winter when the leaves were off the trees and it felt very private in the immaculate hot tub on our back patio. The backyard is very nice with a privacy screen built along the back property line. The cabin is very large with big comfy beds and couches and the kitchen is clean and well equipped. The location is good with close proximity to the Wine Trail and Giant City State Park.
The downside to this property would be the signage . As soon as we got out of the car we could see the bright orange no tresspassing signs along the property line that definetely distracted from an otherwise lovely wooded view. I suppose this belongs to the adjacent neighbors?
There were also many notes throughout the cabin with instructions on how to operate things, the tv, gas fireplace, hot tub, etc. This is generally very helpful, but there was something about the way they were written. My husband and I felt scolded when reading them, and somewhat worried that we might break something and be charged.
But this didn't take away from our enjoyment of our trip, and shortly after leaving received a very nice email thanking us for our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
River Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We found these cabins from a brochure ad and then looked at their website. You are never sure what to expect based on picutres alone, but the cabin was better than we could have expected. We stayed in cabin 3 and felt very secluded and private. We did not see any other guests except the one time the guests at cabin 2 drove by while we were on the front porch walking into the cabin. The cabin was very clean and so very cute. It is obvious that the owners take great pride in the cabins. The cabin was very clean and well stocked. We have found a new place to go for our getaways. The hot tub was incredible and loved sitting by the fire. We were content just relaxing all day in the cabin even though there is so much to do and see very close by. I just heard that there is a zip line coming to Makanda this Spring so we will be returning with the kids so they can enjoy that. Also, the cabins would be great for small groups since you can easily walk to them from each other. I could not believe what someone else said in the reviews.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed in at least 5 different cabins along the Shawnee Wine trial and I can honestly say that this is my least favorite. The cabin itself is nice and clean but the service from the owners leaves something to be desired. Here are a few of my complaints: 1) The website states that the cabins are "secluded" and as some other reviewer has said they are not. You can see the other cabins outside the door. 2) All of the rules, including the cleaning policy leave a bad taste in your mouth. There are signs/paperwork throughout the cabin telling you how much you will owe if you don't clean everything to a "T" as well as stealing a binder, or messing up the hot tub. Now I understand that one needs policies like this but putting them in the rental agreement should be more than enough unless someone is a complete moron and if that is the case they are probably going to mess it up anyway. 3) The website says they provide charcoal. When we got there the bag had exactly 5 briquettes in them. How hard is it to check to make sure there is charcoal in the bag? Every other cabin I have stayed at down there has a gas grill so this is not an issue. We had to drive to the local gas station to pay way too much for some. 4) There is wood provided for a fire in the fire ring. However the wood is left outside right next to the fire ring in the open and unless it hasn't rained for over a week you will not be able to burn the wood. 5). Lastly the most frustrating thing was that the cabin has a gas fireplace to use but the gas was turned off with a note that it was "off for the season". Now I totally understand having it turned off for the summer months. However, we stayed at the cabin in October and the weather was calling for the lows in the 30s. If that is not appropriate weather for a fire. then what is? My brother-in-law contacted the owners who gave us a story about people turning the fireplace on in the summer with the air conditioning on and that is why they turn it off. We told them that was understandable but it was October and it was going to be chilly. The lady said that she would call her husband but that they would probably be too busy to turn it on. No where in their policy or website do they say that the fireplace can only be used for certain months out of the year. And them not willing to come turn it on makes for poor servcie.

As I said the cabin itself is pretty but there are much better options of places to stay with better service then this cabin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakgrovecabin, Owner at Oak Grove Cabins, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
This is Dorothy Lada, owner of Oak Grove Cabins. I was contacted by the guest that wrote the review about the fireplace and told the guest that we do not turn on the fireplaces until it gets cold enough. The guest stayed in October and the daytime temp was 75 degrees. I can not tell you how many times I have entered a cabin to clean it and the fireplace was on full blast with the air conditioning on. The fireplace generates a lot of heat and is not just for show. We do not turn on the fireplaces until it is going to be cold enough outside to warrant the use. This is all described on our website. I do not want to rent to guests that do not appreciate energy conservation!
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed in one of their cabins in September of 2012. The cabins are beautiful inside and out and very well stocked. In fact, we were shocked at all the utensils, etc. that are provided. This part of Illinois is beautiful and we came down on a motorcycle to ride the wine trail. We ate dinner out on Friday night and on Saturday night we went to Arnold's Market and bought to excellent cuts of meat and grilled them on the charcoal grill on the back patio (they even provide charcoal) and then soaked in the hottub. Yes, they have an extremely strict cleaning policy that is overboard when you are supposed to be on vacation...but we cleaned up and didn't get charged any extra so my guess is that the other reviewer that gave such a poor rating is not quite as neat as he claims. We highly recommend these cabins and we are already planning to return next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oak Grove Cabins? Share your experiences!