“Very Impressed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oak Grove Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makanda
Oak Grove Cabins
Save Saved
You added Oak Grove Cabins to your Saves list
413 Oak Grove Road, Makanda, IL 62958   |
River Forest, Illinois
“Very Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We found these cabins from a brochure ad and then looked at their website. You are never sure what to expect based on picutres alone, but the cabin was better than we could have expected. We stayed in cabin 3 and felt very secluded and private. We did not see any other guests except the one time the guests at cabin 2 drove by while we were on the front porch walking into the cabin. The cabin was very clean and so very cute. It is obvious that the owners take great pride in the cabins. The cabin was very clean and well stocked. We have found a new place to go for our getaways. The hot tub was incredible and loved sitting by the fire. We were content just relaxing all day in the cabin even though there is so much to do and see very close by. I just heard that there is a zip line coming to Makanda this Spring so we will be returning with the kids so they can enjoy that. Also, the cabins would be great for small groups since you can easily walk to them from each other. I could not believe what someone else said in the reviews.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed in at least 5 different cabins along the Shawnee Wine trial and I can honestly say that this is my least favorite. The cabin itself is nice and clean but the service from the owners leaves something to be desired. Here are a few of my complaints: 1) The website states that the cabins are "secluded" and as some other reviewer has said they are not. You can see the other cabins outside the door. 2) All of the rules, including the cleaning policy leave a bad taste in your mouth. There are signs/paperwork throughout the cabin telling you how much you will owe if you don't clean everything to a "T" as well as stealing a binder, or messing up the hot tub. Now I understand that one needs policies like this but putting them in the rental agreement should be more than enough unless someone is a complete moron and if that is the case they are probably going to mess it up anyway. 3) The website says they provide charcoal. When we got there the bag had exactly 5 briquettes in them. How hard is it to check to make sure there is charcoal in the bag? Every other cabin I have stayed at down there has a gas grill so this is not an issue. We had to drive to the local gas station to pay way too much for some. 4) There is wood provided for a fire in the fire ring. However the wood is left outside right next to the fire ring in the open and unless it hasn't rained for over a week you will not be able to burn the wood. 5). Lastly the most frustrating thing was that the cabin has a gas fireplace to use but the gas was turned off with a note that it was "off for the season". Now I totally understand having it turned off for the summer months. However, we stayed at the cabin in October and the weather was calling for the lows in the 30s. If that is not appropriate weather for a fire. then what is? My brother-in-law contacted the owners who gave us a story about people turning the fireplace on in the summer with the air conditioning on and that is why they turn it off. We told them that was understandable but it was October and it was going to be chilly. The lady said that she would call her husband but that they would probably be too busy to turn it on. No where in their policy or website do they say that the fireplace can only be used for certain months out of the year. And them not willing to come turn it on makes for poor servcie.

As I said the cabin itself is pretty but there are much better options of places to stay with better service then this cabin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakgrovecabin, Owner at Oak Grove Cabins, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
This is Dorothy Lada, owner of Oak Grove Cabins. I was contacted by the guest that wrote the review about the fireplace and told the guest that we do not turn on the fireplaces until it gets cold enough. The guest stayed in October and the daytime temp was 75 degrees. I can not tell you how many times I have entered a cabin to clean it and the fireplace was on full blast with the air conditioning on. The fireplace generates a lot of heat and is not just for show. We do not turn on the fireplaces until it is going to be cold enough outside to warrant the use. This is all described on our website. I do not want to rent to guests that do not appreciate energy conservation!
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed in one of their cabins in September of 2012. The cabins are beautiful inside and out and very well stocked. In fact, we were shocked at all the utensils, etc. that are provided. This part of Illinois is beautiful and we came down on a motorcycle to ride the wine trail. We ate dinner out on Friday night and on Saturday night we went to Arnold's Market and bought to excellent cuts of meat and grilled them on the charcoal grill on the back patio (they even provide charcoal) and then soaked in the hottub. Yes, they have an extremely strict cleaning policy that is overboard when you are supposed to be on vacation...but we cleaned up and didn't get charged any extra so my guess is that the other reviewer that gave such a poor rating is not quite as neat as he claims. We highly recommend these cabins and we are already planning to return next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband, dog and I spent two days in cabin 1 then another five days in cabin 2 and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would definitely stay here again. The price is maybe a little higher then some of the other options in the area but they offer more amenities and that was important to us. The cabins are all very nicely constructed (and all are less than 10 years old) two bedrooms, one bathroom, living room and kitchen. The cabins are all the same layout just slightly different decor and flooring. The furniture was comfy in general although the mattresses were firmer then what we prefer - I would recommend you bring a mattress topper if you're particular about that. The cabins were clean and well stocked with the essentials. You have a full kitchen with full size appliances (minus a dishwasher). They provide plenty of dishes but they obviously can't provide (nor would I expect) every size and type of pot, pan and utensil you might need but they did have a decent selection in both cabins. The cabins are private...even Cabin 1 is private although you can see another house from the front porch when the leaves are off the trees (you can't see the house from the side and back yard of cabin 1). You can't see the other cabins without walking around so if you're not planning on playing croquet naked you'll have more than enough visual privacy. You can hear your neighbors if you are outside and they are too but as long as they aren't obnoxious it's not really intrusive - just don't expect to feel like you're the only people left in the world. Oh, yeah, these cabins are in the woods...if you aren't used to the woods let me tell you, there are bugs in the woods <using sarcasm for those that would actually complain about something like that> and dirt too. The cabins include satellite tv, a dvd player and stereo. They don't provide any internet service but I was able to bring my own and there are free wifi hotspots within 6-7 miles of the cabins. In regards to cellular service, I have T-Mobile, my hubby has ATT and I had a Verizon data card. T-mobile phone and data service came and went with my android phone, my hubby got great call service on his "ancient" dual band phone but spotty phone and data on his iphone. The Verizon data card I brought had good signal all the time...speed was what you would expect for a rural area but it was sufficient for light surfing, checking my email and logging in remote to work to solve a couple problems. Extra and much appreciated amenities included a gas fireplace, an outdoor fire pit, a charcoal grill, covered porches with tables and chairs, and a hot tub. The only one we didn't use was the fire pit and that was just because there were a lot of leaves on the ground and we didn't want to risk it. We were in the area to enjoy some hiking and the hot tub after a long day of hiking was awesome. A short drive from the cabins gets you to plenty of restaurants and stores. 6-7 miles to Carbondale and 11 or so miles to Anna. Dorothy has put together an aswesome binder filled with information about where to find the closest stores and what restaurants she recommends, places of interest, etc. The cabins are very near Giant City State Park and there are so many other great state and national recreation areas as well as lakes throughout the area. If you're more interested in the wine trail the cabins are very close to a portion of it and there are also a lot antique stores in all these small towns. The cabins are right by a portion of the River to River Trail. Some of the parks take a bit of driving from the cabin (about 1 1/2 hours to Garden of the Gods) because there aren't interstates that travel East and West in the area, just state highways and county roads that take you through a lot of little towns. If you feel adventurous enough and aren't in a hurry I recommend you travel the more scenic county roads to get where you're going. We practically had the parks to ourselves during the week. There is plenty of wildlife in the area...there were three deer right outside the cabin one morning and I could hear them most nights when I took the dog out (bring a flashlight...it's dark in the country!). We saw a lot of deer in general in the area even in the daytime. A couple things to mention: If you are in the area for hiking...locate trail maps ahead of time, even at the parks where there was a visitors center they didn't always have trail maps available and while some of the parks have well marked trails...others are very difficult to follow especially with all the leaves that were on the ground and all the side trails people had made off the main trails as they explored or as they hiked around newly fallen trees or washed out trail sections. If you visit Bell Smith Springs be prepared for water crossings or you'll miss some of the best parts. If you are entering via an interstate highway and can stop at an Illinois rest area there is a great brochure that tells about a lot of what there is to do in the area...it's called Southernmost Illinois...not the one that just says Southern Illinois...make sure it has the "most" in it. I lucked onto that item when I drove through IL on my way to NC a few weeks before our trip and I was so glad I picked it up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maywood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We spent our 7the anniversary at Oak Grove Cabins and loved it. The cabin was very clean and comfortable. I was amazed how well stocked it was. It was very private and well maintained inside and out. We stayed in cabin 2 and could not see any other cabin or house from our cabin. There was plenty of firewood for our nightly bon fires. We enjoyed the hot tub and the king size bed. I have to ask what type of bed that was because I had a great nights sleep. The bathroom was very clean but was a little small. Overall I give this cabin an A +. We have stayed in a few other cabins between here and Gatlinburg and would love to come back to Oak Grove Cabins. There is so much to do around the area too. The cabin was in the perfect location for the wine trail, hiking and we even went horse back riding for the first time. After exploring the area we had a wonderful private place to come home to. I wish that they provided a better radio because we had some difficulty with reception in the woods. But then we realized that we could listen to music on the dish network through the television. Music by the hot tub would have been nice, but I will just bring my portable radio next time because there is an outlet on the back porch. We were surprised because there was not a problem with mosquitos at all even though we were deep in the woods. We were told by the owners that they are planning on building 2 more cabins on another piece of land just down the road. We cant wait to be one of their first guests. We would have never even met the owners but they were out doing yard work one day when we drove in. Thanks for providing such a great place. I think this will be our new anniversary tradition.

Room Tip: I prefer cabin 2 because of its location, but I did not see cabin 1 at all. You do drive past cabin...