“Bad Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
6 attraction reviews
“Bad Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

While waiting to check into our room -- we were told it was being cleaned -- we (my mother, sister and I) decided to have the chicken dinner. It wasn't as good as the chicken served at my local grocery store and it cost a heck of a lot more. Customer service was non-existent. After dinner, we waited another hour for our room (long after the normal check-in time). When we were finally told it was ready, we carried our luggage down the hill to the cabin and found beer cans and wet dirty towels everywhere along with a fireplace filled with ashes which made the room stink. No attempt had been made to clean the room. We turned around and demanded our money back and had to argue extensively to get it!! Worse experience ever!!!

Visited April 2012

Smiths Grove, Kentucky
18 attraction reviews
“Good food...better camping out there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I'm a Southern Illinois local and Giant City has to be one of my favorite area parks. The hiking is great, the scenery is beautiful, and the lodge offers great food at affordable prices. Personally if you are looking for a camping spot, I prefer either Little Grassy. They have a lot more lots to choose from and the location is nice since you are close to the lake and not too far from Giant City. Giant City's camping is pretty cramped especially if you are in a camper or RV. The tent camping is ok but there's little to no privacy. The cabins are very nice and my parents have stayed in them in the past. Much better than the cramped hotels in Carbondale. If you are in Southern Illinois, Giant City park and lodge is a must. And don't forget to climb the tower, the view is awesome!

Visited March 2013
Marseilles, Illinois
“Beautiful Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I hike in this park every weekend for 3 years while going to school and I loved it in every season. I grew up with Starved Rock State Park in my back yard and this park put that one to shame. Do yourself a favor and see this one, it a true Illinois Gem!

Visited May 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
29 attraction reviews
“Simple Homestyle”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I think it is overrated actually. Homestyle is just that...homestyle. Not much flavor...but the scenery is beautiful and worth the trip!

Visited August 2012
Crossville, Illinois, United States
11 attraction reviews
“Love the park ... was a bit disappointed with the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been to this park many times. My husband and I visited upon my insistence that he have the family style fried chicken. The restaurant was fairly busy when we were there for a late lunch. Our server was very friendly. She kept our drink glasses full and was very attentive. The fried chicken (which I've always raved about) was just so-so. The mashed potatoes were very obviously instant, which I don't remember from previous visits. The noodles were very good, as were the other sides of slaw and vegetables.

I will go back, but on this visit I was a little disappointed with the food.

The grounds are always beautiful -- regardless of season. They are well kept.

Visited October 2012