“Down home family restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 60 Restaurants in Macomb
Cuisines: American
Macomb, IL
“Down home family restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Red Ox has become a Macomb institution providing solid, great tasting, unpretentious food every day (but closed on Mondays). All entrees are prepared from scratch, as your mom might say.
The salad, soup, bread, and dessert bar feature a wide variety of items beyond the menu.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manning, SC
“Great place with surprisingly good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I do not remember it looking like the picture so don't be surprised. Maybe I remember wrong. However, this was recommended for our business dinner while we were in Macomb. The prices were about $16-24 for a steak which is a little high given the setting but the food was really good and tasty. The service was very good and they accommodated special requests. Everyone left full and happy so I don't think you can expect more. The atmosphere was a lot more like a buffet steakhouse than a nicer restaurant. Still, I enjoyed it and would definitely return if I am in MaComb again.

Pictures and information on their website are pretty accurate.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
USA
“A nice meal on Valentine's Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We enjoyed a very good meal here on Valentine's Day. The restaurant was swamped yet we only waited around 30 minutes for a table. We were told upon calling that they didn't take reservations or add your name to the seating list until you arrive in person. The waitress was extraordinary with so many tables and customers to wait on. The prices are a little high, the salad consisted of only iceberg lettuce, but for Macomb, is one of the better choices. All of our food was well cooked, pleasantly presented, and tasted great. My husband had steak and I had honey mustard chicken. A loaded baked potato, hot bread sticks, and salad were included in the price. They have a buffet on Friday night but we have not tried it. The front dining room has windows, the back dining room and bar do not. Overall, a good choice when visiting Macomb.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Macomb, IL, USA
“A Tradition in Macomb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I went a couple times in December 2013 for lunch and had the French Dip with all the fixings both times. I don't go here often enough to try new things, but the French Dip is great! This restaurant has been in Macomb for ages, and is popular with the "townies." It has a salad bar. It has a bar. It has a room for special events.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Illinois
“Too expensive and poor food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have heard that Red Ox used to be one of the better restaurants in Macomb, but not so any more. They seem to have a lot of trouble getting good chefs, as the food is consistently poor, or worse. It is also way overpriced for what you get. The last time we went, I ordered the Reuben, which used to be good. Unfortunately, the meat had an unhealthy greenish tint to it, which I could see even in the dim lighting. I will not go anymore.

Visited June 2013