“A taste of India in Rockford-Loves Park, IL” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Cocoa Beach, Florida
“A taste of India in Rockford-Loves Park, IL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

My husband and I enjoy ethnic food so last night we decided to try India House in Loves Park. The place was nicely decorated, softly lit, with Indian music playing quietly in the background. It was in the afternoon and the dinner crowd had not yet arrived although by the time we left, people were starting to show up.

Not being familiar with Indian cusine, we asked our waitress for help. The young lady, probably the owner’s daughter was personable and helpful. We asked what were her favorite dishes. After finding out if we liked vegetarian, chicken, lamb, seafood, etc. she recommended two delicious entrees – one with shrimp cooked in a spicy, white sauce, the other was lentils cooked with herbs and spices. She also recommended the saffron rice, as well as a chewy, flat bread topped with seasonings and filled with a tasty garlic mix.

While we waited for our meal, she brought us a plate of a thin, crispy bread and three different dipping sauces ranging from sweet to spicy. We had fun trying the different flavors as well as mixing them for a new taste.

The entrees were served in large bowls each with its own heat source which kept everything at the proper temperature. It was like eating a hearty, home-cooked meal. Everything was delicious!

To accompany our meal, we both tried and enjoyed the chi (tea made with milk and spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves). My husband also ordered one of their many Indian beers which we both enjoyed.

Our only complaint was the number of shrimp in the entree – we wish there had been more of them.

We had a good time and will be coming back again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Rockford, IL
“Awesome personal service and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I have always been given personal attention by the owner as he always tries to come over to the table and chat with us. He puts so much into the recipes and explained how long everything takes to prepare by hand, fresh ingredients and I could certainly tell by the way I felt as I was savoring the food.

I have been there many times and the authenticity is true to India's culture. I suggest the curried eggplant and also the wonderful meat dishes with spices along with the vanilla ice cream with spice on the top. Homemade and wonderfully served with great attention to detail. The prices are very, very reasonable, especially when you can get in for the buffet at lunch as well.

The India House is easily accessible from any direction and there is always ample parking. (Deb Fowler of Rockford, IL)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Illinois
“Sneaky, inhospitable staff!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

The waiters/waitresses are smug and unfriendly. The food, of course, is delicious, but it hardly makes up for it when I consider how my husband I were so poorly treated. When taking our order, the waitress was terse, cold, and unfriendly. Then, when we got the bill, we realized they had over charged us for the cokes we ordered, and the rice. This isn't the first time that has happened. The time before we went there, they refused to honor a coupon, even though there was no expiration date, and again, over-charged us for a plate! It's like they assume no one looks at the bill when they get it, and they are trying wring every penny out of every customer that passes through. It is a terrible business ethic in there. They should be confident that their food will bring customers back - not resort to underhanded ways to make more money! If you go there, enjoy the food, but beware, the people there are DISHONEST.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rockford, IL
“Good food, VERY POOR service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

Valentine's day. The place was not even filled near to capacity. Very pleasant atmosphere, swank little bar, lovely green tiled floor and walls, ambient lighting. We stopped in without reservations, and after about 15 minutes waiting for someone to attend to the front desk, were seated.

It was probably a good 20 minutes before we were served ice water, and literally 25 minutes after THAT that we finally got menus. There looked to be maybe five people waiting on all the tables, including some of the kitchenstaff and a young daughter of one of them who was dressed in a sweatshirt and jeans. I watched her take dishes around to the tables and literally ask the guests if this was their dish, and as it usually wasn't, she'd make the rounds until finding the right table.

The one gentleman who was actually DRESSED like a busboy finally came around and took our order in a rather curt manner. I ordered a crab dish, at which he told me they were out of crab, but suggested grilled shrimp. He then went on to explain to me the difference between shrimp and crab. Ooookay.

The food, when we were served AT LAST, was delicious. Sure, the vegetables in the curry were unmistakably that cheap canned mix you find at the grocery store. The lamb was on the salty side. It would certainly have been worthwhile had the service been better. While we were waiting just for our menus, we saw at least three groups of people just get up and leave. We and the two groups that were seated immediately after us traded questioning glances, wondering why these people walked about so nonchalantly and without any real effort to extend basic hospitality. Apparently they were understaffed, but they sure didn't adjust their pace.

Altogether, we were there close to THREE HOURS from the time we were seated until paying our check. My boyfriend wanted to tip them $10. He had a $1 and $5 bill and I couldn't convince him to keep his $5. Too bad I'd cooked Thai for lunch; the Thai Cuisine down the road has MODEL customer service and makes you feel welcome as SOON as you step through their door.

Oak Park, Illinois
“Great food and great prices. Little quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

Great food and great prices. Little quiet